vs Triton H Electric SUV With 700-Mile Range?

OP
OP
TyPope

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
I am paying less and less attention to all the sensationalized headlines purporting that:

“Brand xxx is coming out with...”, or

“...going to offer...”, or

“...will be making...”

It’s all vaporware to me until they make (and offer for actual sale) something I can buy today - like Tesla does.
Hey, add:
"... solar efficiency record..."
"... higher density battery..."
"... lasting longer than four hours, call your Doctor..."
"... solid state batteries..."
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Battery twice as dense and half the weight?
Read it carefully: "...proprietary Triton Solar batteries, which are half the size and half the weight of conventional vehicle batteries." Do you still have doubts?

mrbulk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S75D
Country flag
Read it carefully: "...proprietary Triton Solar batteries, which are half the size and half the weight of conventional vehicle batteries." Do you still have doubts?
Wow that reminds me of GM talking about their Ultium battery.
So it must be true; they said so.

OP
OP
TyPope

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
Oh... conventional vehicles use lead acid batteries which are heavy as all get out and not necessarily energy dense.

I see what they did there.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I just don't see how you guys got to be so cynical! Look at their management team. The no 2 guy has acted in more than 110 Bollywood films. What more do you want?

OP
OP
TyPope

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
I just don't see how you guys got to be so cynical! Look at their management team. The no 2 guy has acted in more than 110 Bollywood films. What more do you want?
You are right. We've become cynical towards all battery announcements. Let's give them a fair chance.

Hey, I wonder if they'll incorporate those solar panels that are super efficient and should be able to keep it charged while it drives if the sun is out...

mrbulk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S75D
Country flag
You are right. We've become cynical towards all battery announcements. Let's give them a fair chance.

Hey, I wonder if they'll incorporate those solar panels that are super efficient and should be able to keep it charged while it drives if the sun is out...
Naw, they'll just pull out their Mr. Fusion. ;)

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Triton-EV builds electric semi-truck in just 35 days

This cleverly engineered heavy-hauler features an electric powertrain with a hydrogen fuel-cell range-extender.

Tesla Cybertruck vs Triton H Electric SUV With 700-Mile Range? triton-ev-semi-truck-promo-image

This big-rig features a hydrogen fuel-cell range-extender.
Triton-EV

Watch out Nikola and Tesla, a new electric semi-truck could disrupt the heavy-hauling industry. Triton-EV, a subsidiary of Triton Solar, has built a fully electric prototype big-rig, one that features some clever powertrain engineering.

Going toe-to-toe with traditional, diesel-powered 18-wheelers, Triton-EV's new truck can supposedly tow up to 220,000 pounds. This means companies would not have to sacrifice any capability by going with this all-electric machine over more traditional offerings.

Delivering that impressive performance, this truck features a hybrid powertrain, though it's probably not the sort of hybrid you're thinking of. Triton-EV's rig operates electrically, having a motor and a load of onboard batteries, however, a hydrogen fuel-cell generator is also included. It operates as a range-extender, pumping electrons back into the vehicle's batteries as required.

In heavy trucks like this, lot of other companies are either going the pure-electric route or opting for fuel-cell powertrains. But the trouble with the latter powertrain solution, at least according to Triton-EV, is that, in addition to limited hydrogen availability, it's not particularly energy-dense, struggling to generate enough torque to move loads less than half as heavy as what today's internal-combustion-powered 18-wheelers can handle. By going with an electric drivetrain in an application like this, you get plenty of giddy-up for decent acceleration, and the hydrogen fuel-cell is ready and waiting to help keep the batteries juiced. All in, this new semi-truck is estimated to offer a driving range of around 300 miles.

Tesla Cybertruck vs Triton H Electric SUV With 700-Mile Range? triton-ev-semi-truck-02
E
This Triton-EV truck could be the future of heavy hauling.
Triton-EV

Triton-EV built this running, driving semi-truck in just 35 days, a speed that may be a more impressive feat than the vehicle itself. Yep, it took scarcely more than a month and used its own funds.

Triton-EV folks were able to achieve this goal by sourcing the chassis, frame and other major components from other companies. That makes sense: You can't design, engineer and manufacture something like this from scratch in a month. Vehicle development can cost billions of dollars and take many years to complete.

It's unclear if or even when this new, electrified big-rig might go on sale, though Triton-EV is exploring partnership opportunities. Naturally, pricing is just as up in the air, though it would likely cost anywhere between $150,000 and $250,000.

SOURCE: CNET

Last edited:

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
They use Hyliion power train and put it in a kenworth. I can't believe it took them 35 days to put a label on it!

Old Pro

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I own a 2006 Toyota Tacoma and 2018 Tesla Model 3,
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Triton-EV builds electric semi-truck in just 35 days

This cleverly engineered heavy-hauler features an electric powertrain with a hydrogen fuel-cell range-extender.

triton-ev-semi-truck-promo-image.jpg

This big-rig features a hydrogen fuel-cell range-extender.
Triton-EV

Watch out Nikola and Tesla, a new electric semi-truck could disrupt the heavy-hauling industry. Triton-EV, a subsidiary of Triton Solar, has built a fully electric prototype big-rig, one that features some clever powertrain engineering.

Going toe-to-toe with traditional, diesel-powered 18-wheelers, Triton-EV's new truck can supposedly tow up to 220,000 pounds. This means companies would not have to sacrifice any capability by going with this all-electric machine over more traditional offerings.

Delivering that impressive performance, this truck features a hybrid powertrain, though it's probably not the sort of hybrid you're thinking of. Triton-EV's rig operates electrically, having a motor and a load of onboard batteries, however, a hydrogen fuel-cell generator is also included. It operates as a range-extender, pumping electrons back into the vehicle's batteries as required.

In heavy trucks like this, lot of other companies are either going the pure-electric route or opting for fuel-cell powertrains. But the trouble with the latter powertrain solution, at least according to Triton-EV, is that, in addition to limited hydrogen availability, it's not particularly energy-dense, struggling to generate enough torque to move loads less than half as heavy as what today's internal-combustion-powered 18-wheelers can handle. By going with an electric drivetrain in an application like this, you get plenty of giddy-up for decent acceleration, and the hydrogen fuel-cell is ready and waiting to help keep the batteries juiced. All in, this new semi-truck is estimated to offer a driving range of around 300 miles.

triton-ev-semi-truck-02.jpg
E
This Triton-EV truck could be the future of heavy hauling.
Triton-EV

Triton-EV built this running, driving semi-truck in just 35 days, a speed that may be a more impressive feat than the vehicle itself. Yep, it took scarcely more than a month and used its own funds.

Triton-EV folks were able to achieve this goal by sourcing the chassis, frame and other major components from other companies. That makes sense: You can't design, engineer and manufacture something like this from scratch in a month. Vehicle development can cost billions of dollars and take many years to complete.

It's unclear if or even when this new, electrified big-rig might go on sale, though Triton-EV is exploring partnership opportunities. Naturally, pricing is just as up in the air, though it would likely cost anywhere between $150,000 and $250,000.

SOURCE: CNET
Is this the semi that was filmed going downhill and powered by gravity?