A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
"He ran out of airspeed, altitude and ideas." was a favorite expression of my old mechanic. Haven't thought about that (or him) for years.

Coolbreeze704

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y, 23 Lightning, CyberTruck (someday)
Occupation
GM Manufactured Homes
Country flag
By the time the dual motor is produced it will be interesting to see what that 300 mile + turns into. Could we see a number north of 340? Does the 500+ turn into 550 plus or even more?

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Note that the Y just got an extra 35 miles.

Coolbreeze704

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y, 23 Lightning, CyberTruck (someday)
Occupation
GM Manufactured Homes
Country flag
Note that the Y just got an extra 35 miles.
And I don't believe that is due to battery chemistry or new technology's advancing that mileage. By the time the Cybertruck goes into production I read here that there could be advances in the battery packs themselves to improve efficiency's. Does the mileage announced already take those new advances into account ?

lukefrisbee

Banned
Banned
First Name
luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2m AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
retired
Country flag
By the time the dual motor is produced it will be interesting to see what that 300 mile + turns into. Could we see a number north of 340? Does the 500+ turn into 550 plus or even more?
I started a thread a month ago that with batteries improving like they do, and how Big Ee (while often late on what is accomplished) often gives a lower number than the final numbers, that I felt the "+" was going to be a significant increase. And all I got was people claiming I was wrong, or I wanted too much.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
And I don't believe that is due to battery chemistry or new technology's advancing that mileage. By the time the Cybertruck goes into production I read here that there could be advances in the battery packs themselves to improve efficiency's. Does the mileage announced already take those new advances into account ?
There are a couple of ways to increase the EPA rated range of a vehicle
1)Install a larger gas tank
2)Increase the vehicle's energy efficiency
3)Convince the EPA to allow a more optimistic interpretation of your dynamometer test data.

In a BEV 1) can be realized by packing in more battery modules or using modules with higher specific energy. 2) can be done by reducing losses in any part of the vehicle such as by squeezing another percent out of the motor design, using faster switching transistors, improving the motor control algorithms, trimming aerodynamic drag, improving regeneration..... 3)Use your imagination.

If you believe that no technology advancement is responsible then it all comes down to 3) and I rather doubt that is the case, As an example, the people that make the transistors know that if they can get theirs to switch faster than their competitors' they will sell more to car makers and so are motivated to improve switching speeds. As the program director of a very large project I once worked on said "Every *%#$! engineer on the project has got a half dB in his pocket". I think you can be sure that the current estimate of the CT range includes any projected improvement in any of the applicable technologies but evaluated conservatively. There is value in under promising and over delivering and Tesla is well aware of that though they violate it WRT FSD all the time.

MGC

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3P, ZR2 Colorado, Dodge 2500, 34 Plymouth, Numerous Jeep projects, M37 Powerwagen, various Mopar projects and toys
Occupation
Father, Husband, Farmer, Ect.
Country flag
Here in Texas I felt like the tri motor was the best choice, everything here is so far apart and not a lot of charging options yet off the interstate roads, Great video, thanks!

SONNYDUT

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GX470, 3x Audi A3, Honda Van, Model S, Tri-Motor Cybertruck
Occupation
CAD Designer
Country flag
I remembered this:
MS Long range from 345 to 373, increased by 28 miles (8%)
M3 long range from 310 to 322, increased by 12 miles (4%)
MY long range from 280 (original est. should be at 300)* to 315, increased by 35 (15)* miles, WOW (12.5%) (5%)*
CT Tri-Motor from 500+ to 562 (525 with 5%)increase by 62.5 (prediction) (12.5%, hopeful), 2 year of battery advancement is a great deal.

I did heard Elon mention the CT will get more than 250 kW charging.

I keep find out more to love my future CT.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I remembered this:
CT Tri-Motor from 500+ to 562 (525 with 5%)increase by 62.5 (prediction) (12.5%, hopeful), 2 year of battery advancement is a great deal.
From whence do you remember that? The order page still says 500+
I keep find out more to love my future CT.
I'd love it too if it's true.

SONNYDUT

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GX470, 3x Audi A3, Honda Van, Model S, Tri-Motor Cybertruck
Occupation
CAD Designer
Country flag
From whence do you remember that? The order page still says 500+

I'd love it too if it's true.
I was predicting or speculation base on what I have found out. You could see Tesla website does say 500+. They knew what will come and that is a clue. We will see though. I hoping like many CT potential buyer, the more the better. I have big plan for my CT when it at hand.

Garden_Aum

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius Prime, Nissan Leaf, Tri Motor Cyber Truck
Occupation
Researcher
Country flag
I was predicting or speculation base on what I have found out. You could see Tesla website does say 500+. They knew what will come and that is a clue. We will see though. I hoping like many CT potential buyer, the more the better. I have big plan for my CT when it at hand.
Perhaps we will get more information after battery day in April.
Teslarati Article About Battery Day

bfdog

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F250, Honda Element, GX470
Country flag
I upgraded from single motor to dual motor to tri-motor. I never considered range anxiety. I made the decision while hauling 14K of loads all last week and watching my EGTs hovering around 1200F in the Texas Hill Country, thinking my turbo was melting, etc. I spent almost $200 on fuel last week. I filled up next to a guy with a new F250 and he said he gets 13 mpg (and fills up his 55 tanks with $150+ in diesel to get 500+ in range). I normally get 15 mpg and 10 mpg when towing my trailer empty (8 when towing full). Screw that noise. I'm gonna do what it takes to replace my tow vehicle (and SUV) with something that can also do 0-60 in 2.9 seconds, look cool, and help save the environment. With self driving and 120/240 V outlets. Can't wait to hear Musk elaborate on more awesomeness.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
You may already be aware if this but towing 14,000 pounds will, just as it does with an ICE vehicle, reduce the range of a CT dramatically, perhaps to 1/3 of the EPA range on level ground. Positive grade will reduce it further still. This may be perfectly OK but I'd be nervous about being a pioneer when it comes to towing huge loads like this with the CT by which I mean I'd probably wait to see what it entails before undertaking it myself nor would I order a CT if that was its main intended function until there was some data on how it handles such loads.

There isn't going to be any self driving for a long time.
Sponsored