Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
After following along with this roll-out last night, I've very easily come to the realization that this vehicle is for a different consumer entirely than that of the CT.

I feel like this is for the current SUV/truck driving crowd that feels as if their driving habits are inconsequential. For example, my father puts planetary health well down his list of 'important issues', maybe the term 'issue' is even in question, but he's a huge "bells and whistles" guy that keeps up with tech.

Seems like an oxymoron, I know... But there are a lot of these mentalities out there, especially here in Texas.

Anyway, at the risk of getting too mired in politics, this product is a good thing for the automakers' push to go all-electric (granted, I realize this isn't just in the auto industry's hands). Its a necessary emergence to help move things along in the right direction. Something more like a traditional truck/SUV that will out-perform the big gas-guzzling pickups that are driven mostly as commuter vehicles, with some capabilities on the side.

This thing is an effort from a traditional American automaker, which is *hopefully* them saying '"this is the future so you better get excited about it like the rest of the people over there on that Tesla train, whether you like it or not." They have to start somewhere.

I don't think this is for "us." But I'm still happy about it.
Do we have the same Father? Brother is that you?!?!
Sponsored

CybrDdHd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT Tri-motor, 2020 Ram 1500
Occupation
VP-Ops
Country flag
Do we have the same Father? Brother is that you?!?!
Haha... his direct quote after oggling over the crab-walk feature:
"Yep. I'll pass. I struggle with the whole electric vehicle thing anyway, mostly because I don't think the technology is robust and stable yet."

My response:
"Well then you haven't been paying attention."

And then... subject change... as is the norm.

Balthezor

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover, 2020 Model Y
Country flag
It looks like GM played it safe, looks like a GM truck. I am not big on the removable roof panels looks like a future leak. Rear seats are just like our 2017 GMC truck, same flip up ability, we stuff our jackets and junk under the seats but my sons 2008 Honda Ridgeline has it also, not new idea but, still nice feature. Tailgate step is handy but, for that price you should get a type of cover for bed included at over 100 grand. 350 miles of range ok? The battery pack is over 200kw where's the rest of the range gone it seems to be short on distance. Paying for a battery pack that size for only 350 miles of range, I think I would buy single motor Cybertruck and a long range M3 for the same money and be happier.
Range probably went to the shit drag coefficient.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
Haha... his direct quote after oggling over the crab-walk feature:
"Yep. I'll pass. I struggle with the whole electric vehicle thing anyway, mostly because I don't think the technology is robust and stable yet."

My response:
"Well then you haven't been paying attention."

And then... subject change... as is the norm.
My Dad still uses this line " The Prius is worse for the environment than an H2 Hummer!"

CybrDdHd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
VP-Ops
Country flag
My Dad still uses this line " The Prius is worse for the environment than an H2 Hummer!"

H2 being the operative indicator here. Haha.

Man, now I feel like I've at least made some progress with my pops. Or perhaps it was his being 'forced' to live in Seattle for a few years at the end of his career... Oh the humanity...

TI4Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 2500 Cummins, GMC 1500, LandRover Discovery 1, Suzuki GT750, Electra Glide Ultra Classic Limited, Electra Glide Sport, RX3 Cyclone
Occupation
Retired, added 5 days to my weekend
Country flag
After following along with this roll-out last night, I've very easily come to the realization that this vehicle is for a different consumer entirely than that of the CT.

I feel like this is for the current SUV/truck driving crowd that feels as if their driving habits are inconsequential. For example, my father puts planetary health well down his list of 'important issues', maybe the term 'issue' is even in question, but he's a huge "bells and whistles" guy that keeps up with tech.

Seems like an oxymoron, I know... But there are a lot of these mentalities out there, especially here in Texas.

Anyway, at the risk of getting too mired in politics, this product is a good thing for the automakers' push to go all-electric (granted, I realize this isn't just in the auto industry's hands). Its a necessary emergence to help move things along in the right direction. Something more like a traditional truck/SUV that will out-perform the big gas-guzzling pickups that are driven mostly as commuter vehicles, with some capabilities on the side.

This thing is an effort from a traditional American automaker, which is *hopefully* them saying '"this is the future so you better get excited about it like the rest of the people over there on that Tesla train, whether you like it or not." They have to start somewhere.

I don't think this is for "us." But I'm still happy about it.
I think GM is doing this to show they have the tech to take a model that died the way of the dodo bird and with their tech and design we brought you back from the dead a vehicle with little purpose. The hummer was an idea based of military vehicle and GM thought it was a cool idea to bring to market but the price point was too high for a GM truck/suv and in the end it didn't doing anything better than the rest of the GM line. So today without any proof of merit they ask over 100 grand the price to help save our environment. The same GM that had produced the EV 1, that car was forward thinking. GM used the same play book they have done in the past, biggest profit came from trucks. I agree with you "they had to start somewhere".

jojo

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Tesla Model 3 LR, 2001 Honda Civic
Occupation
CWI
Country flag
So when I heard Tesla was going to be releasing a truck I already had my Model 3. I said to myself if Tesla makes a AWD/4WD truck the way the Model 3 is made at $50K Ill buy it. And when they released it they hit all the markers I wanted in a truck...I reserved it that night. Last night while watching and reviewing all the Hummer EV videos I was not impressed with it. I think the the looks on it good, but what lost me is when GMC refers to it as a "Supertruck." How can you call yourself a "Supertruck" and not give any tow ratings or payload ratings? The main thing a truck does its tow and haul...period. GMC created a SUV with a small bed. And the price!!! WTF? I understand Tesla created something to compete with F-150 and Elon wanted the price to be in the same area...which he achieved. GMC decided to create something that the normal Joe can't afford, they basically alienated themselves to CEO's and NBA players. And the range....once again WTF?? 250 miles of range on the base Hummer EV....what? I reserved the dual motor cybertruck because of price, range, awd/4wd, and I knew the quality would be like my Model 3. The Dual motor listed at 300+ miles of range...im expecting that to be 350 by the time its released. So you're telling me my dual motor has more range than the base model Hummer EV...for $29,000 less. GMC missed the mark and idea of this project. It can't appeal to the mass market and it showed that GMC is 5-6 years behind Teslas battery technology.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
So you're telling me my dual motor has more range than the base model Hummer EV...for $29,000 less. GMC missed the mark and idea of this project. It can't appeal to the mass market and it showed that GMC is 5-6 years behind Teslas battery technology.
It's actually worst than that! $80,000 is the starting price. GMC is hoping to add several packages to that plus dealer mark-ups. Also, GMC is 5-6 years behind Tesla battery tech currently. They are listing the $80,000 Hummer as shipping in 2024. So add a few more years to how far behind they are! The Hummer only comes in one color= White. So now I'm referring to it as the GMC White Elephant!

CybrDdHd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
VP-Ops
Country flag
It can't appeal to the mass market and it showed that GMC is 5-6 years behind Teslas battery technology.

I'm pretty sure we're going to be saying this about just about every attempt from domestic automakers for a LONG time. These efforts will never compete with Tesla because of the head-start and vision Elon had/has on EVERYONE. It will take quite some time, or a coups the likes of Operation Paperclip for Tesla's battery tech to be matched...

jojo

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CWI
Country flag
I'm pretty sure we're going to be saying this about just about every attempt from domestic automakers for a LONG time. These efforts will never compete with Tesla because of the head-start and vision Elon had/has on EVERYONE. It will take quite some time, or a coups the likes of Operation Paperclip for Tesla's battery tech to be matched...
I sure hope this isn't the case. I was really rooting for GMC to release the Hummer EV with comparable prices to force Tesla and Elon to beat them....kind of like what Tesla did with the Model S against the Lucid Air. Since this is a "Cybertruck Vs" thread....I'm going to say that the Cybertruck beats the Hummer EV in all categories...including looks. I mean the rear wheel steering is cool....but its not a 3000GT!! How fast do you need to corner in a full size truck? Crab walk....cool...but 99% of Hummer EV owners will use it just to show off on the streets. Supercruise only works on some roads. And as of right now the single motor Cybertruck has more towing and payload capabilities than the top of the line Hummer EV.....because GMC didn't even list the information!!! lol

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
I think there is confusion about usefulness of 4 wheel steer. Most people would not be using it for off-road. It is for use when towing.

It can really help doing turns while towing.
Check what GM Quadsteer owners had to say. It was how it helped when towing.

When not towing, because Cybertruck, F-150/250 are so much longer than cars, quad steer could help with some parking situations too.

Iacemoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ram 1500 <> 1970 Chevy C10 Stepside Custom
Occupation
Drug Dealer
Country flag
They dont want it to appeal to the mass market. Battery supply limited most likely. If they sell 20k of these a year it will be enough (~2 bil in revenue). I mean each pack is probably 200kwh. Estimate over $20k just for the battery alone and achieve 350 miles of range. Thing is a hog.

Whatever. It will sell, just not in cybertruck numbers.

jojo

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CWI
Country flag
I think there is confusion about usefulness of 4 wheel steer. Most people would not be using it for off-road. It is for use when towing.

It can really help doing turns while towing.
Check what GM Quadsteer owners had to say. It was how it helped when towing.

When not towing, because Cybertruck, F-150/250 are so much longer than cars, quad steer could help with some parking situations too.
Honestly I didn't even think of this. I guess this was a missed opportunity by GMC during the reveal. All they spoke about was four wheel turning while corning....not while towing.
Sponsored