Cybertruck vs Hummer EV

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Look at the dates on those articles. How come this never took off?
incompetent GM/Chevy marketing. Just like owners of EV1 begged GM to continue EV1 and improve it.

People that did buy the GM quadrasteer option seemed to have liked it.
Sponsored

Reactions: Geo

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
* GM Quadrasteer added an extra 2,300 lbs towing capacity *

GM Quadrasteer: The Great Invention No One Wanted
by Thom Tayloron November 14, 2019
https://www.motorbiscuit.com/gm-quadrasteer-the-great-invention-no-one-wanted

the Quadrasteer system added an extra 285 lbs to the truck. But it also added an extra 2,300 lbs towing capacity, and better stability.

Owners Love Quadrasteer
In forums, it is clear that the Quadrasteer system was popular with those who purchased it. It also appears that service issues were minimal. The main scheduled service for some owners is replacing the synthetic fluid every 15,000 miles.

One of the very few issues with Quadrasteer is the availability of parts. Once the initial supply of steering modules was sold GM didn’t make replacements. Position sensors seem to be another component that occasionally will go bad.

However, there are some companies getting into repro parts for Quadrasteer trucks. There are also Quadrasteer units popping up at wrecking yards. So while parts will be an issue into the future from how owners rave about them it might be worth the hassle.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
** video has info on how in early 2000s GM mishandled rollout of Quadrasteer feature *

Will Rear-Wheel Steering Change The Game For Future Pickup Trucks? | Talkin' Trucks Ep. 66
With companies like GM developing Quadrasteer with the early 2000s and ZF working on rear-wheel steering technology now, is it time for the feature to make its way into modern trucks? Andre and Kent discuss rear-wheel steering, August 2019 truck sales and answer your questions.
Sep 5, 2019

EXCLUSIVE! Is This The Future Of Trucks? We Put Rear Wheel Steering Through a Battery of Tests!
The Fast Lane Truck
Aug 31, 2019

Last edited:

Handy Artie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Mercedes Sprinter 2500
Occupation
Retired surgical oncologist
Country flag
Remember that GM sells through dealers. Dealers don’t pay retail. When they say $112,000, I say 0.77 X 112 is what I’m willing to pay to free up space in their third party financed floor plan. To a sales manager at a dealership a vehicle is just metal and rubber to move off the lot.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
This is all great information...but it doesn’t apply to the Hummer EV because they didn’t say any of it.
Info & facts still apply no matter how incompetent GM management is.

GM management failed in 1990s with EV1.
2018-2020, Little Tesla company produces 100s of thousand more EV than GM.
Chevy Bolt can not compete with Model 3 or Y. GM failed again.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Nexteer (Delphi Steering original maker of GM Quadsteer) now has Active rear wheel steering
in video, skip to 09:40
Nexteer's New High-Output Electric Steering + Quadrasteer Still Alive!
Pickup Truck Plus SUV Talk
2020 July

Quadrasteer Reborn? Here's How Engineers Make Your Truck Steer Like A Car!
Nexteer
TFLtalk
Aug 12, 2020

cybertruck808

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Renegade
Occupation
Military
Country flag
Oh man, I just realized how out dated that Hummer is going to be in no time, with all the new tech coming out. Which will probably cause some major depreciation. I used California tax & reg. calculator and my fees on $113,000 would be $9,787 so that White Elephant would cost me at least $122,787 without any other extras. Just imagine TCO on that beast with Depreciation and Insurance & every 350 miles is going to be over 200kwh, plus repair and maintenace. YIKE$
That's another thing. Will this truck have regular over the air updates like Teslas have? And I still remain skeptical of any
Oh man, I just realized how out dated that Hummer is going to be in no time, with all the new tech coming out. Which will probably cause some major depreciation. I used California tax & reg. calculator and my fees on $113,000 would be $9,787 so that White Elephant would cost me at least $122,787 without any other extras. Just imagine TCO on that beast with Depreciation and Insurance & every 350 miles is going to be over 200kwh, plus repair and maintenace. YIKE$
Even outside of all of that, I always come back to fast charging infrastructure. Until there is a solid non-Tesla fast charging infrastructure around the country, I wouldn't even look seriously at a non-Tesla EV. Even at a great price, which the Hummer EV is not.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Because just because it worked, doesn't mean it was worth the cost at the time. Electrics make this massively easier than it was.

-Crissa

It was more than just a matter of extra cost. It was selling for $2,000 - $3,000 but customer could not get it. Dealers did not have in stock. Customers could not get demo drives.

GM mismanaged it.

In the video
"Will Rear-Wheel Steering Change The Game For Future Pickup Trucks? | Talkin' Trucks Ep. 66"
a longtime loyal owner of GMC/Chevy trucks (and owner of Quadrasteer truck) explained mismanagement & infighting at GM.
I have seen many posts of GMC/Chevy truck Quadrasteer truck owners lauding the Quadrasteer feature. I have not read of any big reliability issues.

This is just like EV1, customers loved it but GM mis-managed it.
Even today the Chevy Bolt is a nice car but GM did not commit the resources to make it a big seller. In the early years you could not find a dealer that had Bolt in stock to demo. Even if in stock, sales at dealers never told customers about EV. I personally visited dealers and it was like pulling teeth to get demo. In early years (maybe even today), how much advertising does GM/Chevy do for Bolt compared to other cars.

Last edited:

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Here is perhaps the largest problem with the HUMMER EV aside from price, the dang thing does not exist!
_—_——————————————————

GM Admits It Doesn't Actually Have A Real, Working Hummer EV Yet

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck vs Hummer EV 1603423487287

October 22, 2020. By Steven Loveday

This situation seems to parallel that of the Nikola Badger, without all the other baggage, of course.
General Motor's GMC Hummer EV reveal was supposed to happen back in May. However, like many other events, it was delayed for many months due to the COVID-19 pandemic. When it finally happened this week, it wasn't actually an event at all, and there was no real electric pickup truck.
There was no live stream, no electric pickup truck on a stage, no execs talking, nothing. Instead, GM played what appeared to be a 6-minute CGI video of the Hummer EV tackling tough terrain. The video ended, we waited and waited, and then asked ourselves and our team, "Was that it?"
Yes, that was it. Well, it turns out, GM doesn't yet have a working Hummer electric pickup truck. It has a display vehicle, as well as the battery platform, but as far as the vehicle is concerned, it doesn't exist. Keep in mind, GM says this vehicle is just one year away. Meanwhile, chief engineer Al Oppenheiser admitted:

“Interestingly enough, we don’t have a vehicle yet. We’re building our first test vehicle as we speak; the vehicle you see in the video is our display vehicle.”
While this may be shocking to some people, it's becoming increasingly common. Startups and automakers are showing off future vehicles without actually having a vehicle developed. GM is currently working on a partnership to build the Nikola Badgerelectric pickup truck, which was officially unveiled in the form of a bunch of renderings.

Depending on how you look at it, this isn't all that different from the days of concept cars at auto shows. They were there for people to drool over, but weren't typically working vehicles. However, we can also argue that this is much different since companies are touting specs for these cars, taking reservations, and treating them as if they are production vehicles, while not actually having an example on hand.

In GM's defense, it has the battery technology and architecture all set. So, it's really just a matter of dropping a Hummer body on top, right?

It's not that simple, but yes, sort of. Some people will be really bent out of shape to learn that there is actually no GMC Hummer EV in existence yet. However, this paints an interesting picture of the future. If startups and automakers can build a working EV platform and then launch several new vehicles on that platform in record time, it will be a brand-new direction for the automotive world.
In the meantime, we'll wait for the real Hummer EV to arrive and prove itself to the world. Scroll down and let us know what you think in the comment section below.
Source: Green Car Reports

https://insideevs.com/news/450345/g...C2qUvG4p-gAFHDbUnLR5RMW6GzhfQE4xNeSDk0ZXXrJDM

Last edited:

Frank W

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Retired Army 1975-1997
Country flag
And it appears that GM is trying to copy Tesla in several ways and it starts with the name of the new factory. Zero Factory. Then a reservation cost of $100. As Crissa pointed out earlier the name “Watts to Freedom” seems to follow along the quirky names that Tesla comes up with but is nowhere near the level of thinking. The adaptive suspension, the 6 inch lift, the cameras, the glass roof, haggle free pricing and the list just goes on and on. Just my thoughts at this ungodly hour to be awake and checking what is new.

Last edited: