Design tweaks I'd like to see

fastNfugly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTI
Country flag
Just wanted to put this out there, maybe someone already knows if these are non-issues or not. Nothing here would stop me from getting one.

Roof peak. I am totally fine with the angle of the roof, but would like to feel better about how it will age. What I would like to see is a metal section between the two, possibly to include the peak. I'm picturing it's just some weatherstrip or gasket that separates the two. I get that it's completely flat, structural glass so it may not be comparable to anything else, but seems that could be a wear point and possibly leak. I'd hate to see strips of duct tape or globs of silicon on top of every cybertruck 10 years from now.
My suggestions. The windshield continue to the peak (no seams for wind). The back slope would start with about 12" of some non-glass material, then the roof glass. Bonus points if this panel could have some provisions for accessory mounting points. I'm sure all the police/fire dept would be able to take advantage of that for lights as well as roof racks and even tents. Additional bonus points if the in-cabin portion of this larger section can be used for rear-passenger sunglasses/phone or ..."oregeno" leaves. Can call it a spice rack. Maybe even rear sear heater controls.

Or..., stop the windshield just below the led bar and make the led bar part of a larger section that goes between the two current glass panels. This could potentially allow that "top" to be replaced. That may allow police/fire depts to just retrofit their light requirements without having to add anything to the roof. Driver visibility would take a hit but I doubt it would be too bad. Wind noise would need to be addressed.

Second concern about long-term wear and tear is the from windshield itself. What I don't want to happen is a front end accident sliding the hood into the windshield and damaging it. I can see that being the case if the gap between the two designed to be flush with minimal gap. I'd like to think that wiper blades would be required which would go there and make this a non-issue.

Headlight. If the headlight is a single fixture, that also could be a costly repair bill for an otherwise minor incident. Maybe break it into three sections where the middle section is 2/3 of the entire assembly. Again, not trying to change the look.

Unrealistic brain-storm I have is when the front doors are open, it looks to be about 10"-12" of side dash-boob. Could that be used for locked (when door is closed) storage? I don't think you can fit a flame-thrower in there, but probably find a good use for it. Umbrella storage? It is kind of cool as it's would be considered locked, which is not accessible from within the cab. I'm not a gun owner but I feel there are rules for transporting/storage.
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Many of these things have been discussed on this site, I'm not going to link them but will say what I took away.
Roof peak... triangle is strongest shape, ergo the peak.

Space between windshield and roof to prevent leaks... haven't seen this discussed but I think then you would have 2 seals? So twice as likely to leak.

Attachment points have been shown in several threads and you can see where they are in the ladder rack thread or the tent thread.
Wiper blades in between windshield and hood... really you want wiper blades?
Headlight... how much does a headlight really have to cost?

Propwash

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X Cybertruck reservation 113079593
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
I would like the cyber truck dash to resemble the Model S or X's in the duel or Triple motor trucks. you can keep the less expensive Model 3 type dash and screen for the cheaper single motor version. Am I wrong in thinking this. the small little screens on the 3's look cheesy and cheap.

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
Yeah, I hope that marbled paper dash was just a design test and they'll put in a more proper dash in the production model.

Sputter

First Name
Herbert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Model 3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yeah, I hope that marbled paper dash was just a design test and they'll put in a more proper dash in the production model.
Concur on your comment about the dash. I've owned several vehicles over the years and have kept them for many years. Elon has designed the exterior and the batteries and the drive train to last several hundred thousand miles, but what about the interior? The dash on many older cars is cracked and faded and twisted from the sun coming through the windshield. With the huge mother windshield on the CYBRTRK, is this going to be a problem for the guy (me), planning on keeping my baby for twenty years?

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Concur on your comment about the dash. I've owned several vehicles over the years and have kept them for many years. Elon has designed the exterior and the batteries and the drive train to last several hundred thousand miles, but what about the interior? The dash on many older cars is cracked and faded and twisted from the sun coming through the windshield. With the huge mother windshield on the CYBRTRK, is this going to be a problem for the guy (me), planning on keeping my baby for twenty years?
Composite paper countertops are the answer to cracking and fading...
http://www.stockcabinetexpress.com/blog/pros-cons-composite-paper-countertops/
This material is a strong, durable, light, sustainable material. Its probably the best idea I've seen for a dash material and it doesnt have to look like white marble.

Sputter

First Name
Herbert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Model 3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Composite paper countertops are the answer to cracking and fading...
http://www.stockcabinetexpress.com/blog/pros-cons-composite-paper-countertops/
This material is a strong, durable, light, sustainable material. Its probably the best idea I've seen for a dash material and it doesnt have to look like white marble.
Ah ha...quite correct. I had forgotten about this material. But I dare guess, this product has not been extensively exposed to a hot Arizona sun for twenty years. By defination, it's a product for interior use. But hey, I'm just a naive fanboy. I've got a lot of faith in Tesla's innovative DNA.

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
I wonder, ala Rivian, if perhaps Tesla will offer a battery pack for those times when you need to tow a lot... perhaps a rental pack that attaches in the bed but would let you up the tow range to basically a day of driving so that you can charge while you sleep through the night.

Berno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Tacoma, TLR200
Occupation
Carpenter
Country flag
I’d like to see the CT’s adjustable suspension linked to the forward sensors/cameras. Then equip the suspension with the proper software to anticipate obstacles in the road. The suspension could load up or sag ahead of a bump, dip, or pothole similar to the way a persons legs reacts while mountain biking or skiing, for instance. Imagine how alive the truck would feel as it bunny hops over a huge pot hole at 60 mph.

Reactions: Geo

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
I would like to see an extruded aluminum dash to mount the display and airbags. It would be curled at the bottom edge on the driver and passenger side to hold sunglasses, loose change, etc. Aluminum is lightweight, simple, durable, cheap to manufacture and it would match the utilitarian look of the CT.

Last edited:

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
I wonder, ala Rivian, if perhaps Tesla will offer a battery pack for those times when you need to tow a lot... perhaps a rental pack that attaches in the bed but would let you up the tow range to basically a day of driving so that you can charge while you sleep through the night.
Or faster charging.... Internet says Tesla will announce 80% charging in 9 min. It is true that towing will decrease range, but people are wrong on the estimates that it will be horrible range unless Tesla does bad engineering. Electric motors are used for towing all the big loads because they are the most efficient way. Diesel trains and ships use them. They run a generator with the diesel and use the electricity for motors to haul heavy loads.
A properly engineered electric tractor is going to experience less loading than an ICE tractor.
How do you know I'm right? The max load values... Cybertruck could pull 100,000 lbs, it can't handle/steer that load at speed but it could pull it. Ford pulled a train with their electric F150...

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
Or faster charging.... Internet says Tesla will announce 80% charging in 9 min. It is true that towing will decrease range, but people are wrong on the estimates that it will be horrible range unless Tesla does bad engineering. Electric motors are used for towing all the big loads because they are the most efficient way. Diesel trains and ships use them. They run a generator with the diesel and use the electricity for motors to haul heavy loads.
A properly engineered electric tractor is going to experience less loading than an ICE tractor.
How do you know I'm right? The max load values... Cybertruck could pull 100,000 lbs, it can't handle/steer that load at speed but it could pull it. Ford pulled a train with their electric F150...
You can directly calculate the force needed to move a certain mass a certain height. You can calculate the energy stored in a battery. The range is going to take a huge hit when doubling the weight of the CT with a trailer. And then there's aerodynamic drag which I won't pretend to be able to calculate though I know it can be. I get 16MPG around town, on the highway, and pretty much all the time. I track my mileage with every single fill up this truck has ever gotten. When I tow my 5,000# trailer loaded with 9,000# of household stuff, I get 13MPG. That's a decrease of right at 19% pulling a trailer that weighs twice what the truck weighs.

Bigvbear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2001 Chevy Tracker, 2018 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Picture this....a trailer (made by Tesla) with a batter pack underneath that can plug into the CT act as a 2nd battery while towing. Would be easy to make one with a very basic undercarriage and then put whatever on top (flat bed, camper, horse hauler, Box trailer etc). Tesla could supply the base to other manufacturers to put their stuff on top of it. Picture an Airstream with a 500kw Tesla battery in the undercarrage. 1 cable to plug into the CT for supplying the CT with power and vice versa as well as trailer lights.

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
Picture this....a trailer (made by Tesla) with a batter pack underneath that can plug into the CT act as a 2nd battery while towing. Would be easy to make one with a very basic undercarriage and then put whatever on top (flat bed, camper, horse hauler, Box trailer etc). Tesla could supply the base to other manufacturers to put their stuff on top of it. Picture an Airstream with a 500kw Tesla battery in the undercarrage. 1 cable to plug into the CT for supplying the CT with power and vice versa as well as trailer lights.
... and a single motor to provide an assist so you don't burn out your CT motors pulling it.

Bigvbear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2001 Chevy Tracker, 2018 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Country flag
... and a single motor to provide an assist so you don't burn out your CT motors pulling it.
has potential....but I would think the CT motors would not be that fragile :)
Sponsored