Eight Foot Bed On Cybertruck?

• Total voters

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
I did read and yea it was well written. Still leaves a lot to the imagination of the interior of the truck. I’ve had the Chevy Avalanche and I had several Fords but I’ve never had a Tesla. I must admit the Ford has always impressed me with the quality of material and workmanship inside the truck. I’m going cross country in a couple weeks in my new Ford Hybrid and I’m gonna stop at the nearest Tesla dealer along my route to see for myself. I can imagine torque and horsepower as I’m very familiar with that but the interior/cabin noise can only be realized when driving it. The CT will most definitely turn heads when driving down the road but what’s it gonna be like while driving (or not) on the inside?
We can only guess. I imagine it will be more like a truck than a Cadillac. Nothing some sheets of sound damping material couldn't tame.
Sponsored

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
It was a tremendous experience although limited as I didn't get to drive or sit in the drivers seat. I actually wrote a blog post about my experience if you are interested in hearing more. It is linked here.
Excellent blog post, I thoroughly enjoyed your perspective.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ummm, I wasn't mad at you, not even a little bit.

The Avalanche failed in the marketplace primarily due to unbecoming aesthetics, MPG and being a poor value.

The Cybertruck has stunningly good looks, contrary to people who discount that based on the fact that it's "different". It also has extremely low operating costs and is a value like none other in the light truck market.

Thinking that Tesla needs to understand why the Avalanche failed is under-estimating Tesla. Tesla knows exactly why the Avalanche failed and made sure not to repeat any of those mistakes.

Last edited:

RAmboss

First Name
Renato
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Country flag
Bravo Renato! That is the best and most colorfully descriptive first hand impression of the Cybertruck I have read to date! I thought I was reading something out of The Rolling Stone.

A must read!
Thank you for the kind words. Please share with whomever you'd like!

RAmboss

First Name
Renato
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Country flag
I did read and yea it was well written. Still leaves a lot to the imagination of the interior of the truck. I’ve had the Chevy Avalanche and I had several Fords but I’ve never had a Tesla. I must admit the Ford has always impressed me with the quality of material and workmanship inside the truck. I’m going cross country in a couple weeks in my new Ford Hybrid and I’m gonna stop at the nearest Tesla dealer along my route to see for myself. I can imagine torque and horsepower as I’m very familiar with that but the interior/cabin noise can only be realized when driving it. The CT will most definitely turn heads when driving down the road but what’s it gonna be like while driving (or not) on the inside?
Thank you for the kind words. As soon as I get the opportunity to add more detail to my interior perspective I will update that post. Driving it is definitely the next step! Great that you're looking to try it out at a store. As a friendly tip, I'd make sure to reach out to the store you plan to stop at to ensure they have a vehicle you'd like to see. Either way it's certainly worth a good conversation to stop by! Hope you have a lovely weekend.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I don't think the Avalanche failed due to looks. That seems to be putting the cart before the horse.

It cost more and had poorer performance than the competition. And didn't really get much out of it. It wasn't that much smaller, even though they shortened it some.

I think it was just the bad mpg and low load numbers that doomed it. It was stuck with numbers like the van version, but its higher complexity just raised the amount that failed.

Tesla tends to deal with that fine. And the looks? They have more reservations than Ford.

-Crissa

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
I don't think the Avalanche failed due to looks. That seems to be putting the cart before the horse.

It cost more and had poorer performance than the competition. And didn't really get much out of it. It wasn't that much smaller, even though they shortened it some.

I think it was just the bad mpg and low load numbers that doomed it. It was stuck with numbers like the van version, but its higher complexity just raised the amount that failed.

Tesla tends to deal with that fine. And the looks? They have more reservations than Ford.

-Crissa
Like you said, Tesla isn't going to worry about the Ford Lightning much at all. I think the looks of the Avalanche put off a lot of truck owners. But a 5' 3" bed has a lot of limitations. Not even Bicycles will fit. Also the tow rating was 8100lbs. with a max payload of 1400lbs. It was easy for people to dismiss it as a wanna be truck.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The looks were fine. It looked like a truck.

As you point out, though, it was pretty weak on actual specs, tho.

-Crissa
The Avalanche was released with black plastic cladding that turned chalky and faded looking in a shockingly short amount of time. It made the truck look cheap and plasticy and I'm not sure that broadcasts the kind of "tough" people think of when they think of a truck.

Three or four years after release sales fell off and never really recovered. We can only guess why but I imagine the way they looked kind of plasticy and cheap had a lot to do with it. The Cybertruck is the polar opposite of plasticy with it's hard edges and gleaming stainless steel.

KendrickMB

First Name
Kendrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Chevy Trax, 2012 Ford Explorer
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
I really wish the Avalanche was more popular. I owned a 2008 Avalanche and to date it is still my favorite vehicle I've owned. Personally I think it looked great, but unfortunately it didn't tow or haul as much as a Silverado from my memory. In my opinion, given it was based on the Suburban and not the Silverado, I think it was intended for people who wanted the comfort of a Suburban, but also a bed. I found the Avalanche to be a better ride than the Silverado.

I find it odd people see any similarity between the Cybertruck and the Avalanche. The only visual similarity would be the triangular sails, but even then, it's not like those gave the Avalanche a triangular shape.

I'd love to see Tesla implement an updated version of the midgate.

As far as the poll goes, I don't personally need a bigger bed, but I'd like the option for people who want one.

Red61224

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yugo
Country flag
Ummm...no. Ford doesn't make a Crew Cab F-150 with an 8-foot bed. The longest F-150 is the SuperCab with an 8' foot bed. That's the version with little half-doors on the rear that open backwards (suicide doors). 8-foot beds are falling out of favor these days, even on many trucks used for work.

The longest bed you can get on the Crew Cab F-150 is 6.5 feet, same length as the Cybertruck.

I hope so. But even if they decided to shorten the bed a few inches with the redesign, it will still be longer than the longest bed available on the Ford Lightning (which is only 5 1/2 feet).
My father had a 1970 Ford 250, crew cab with an 8-foot bed, total length 266 inches, that's what I learned to drive in at 15, oh and a standard at that, thought nothing of it, nowadays some people wet their pants if they even look at a clutch. BTW, I took my driving test in that truck at 16 and passed the parallel parking test easily, never had to park parallel when we went to town though, always angled into the curb or straight parking lots.
See similar example photo

Tesla Cybertruck Eight Foot Bed on Cybertruck 1622171355468

If you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch.

Last edited:

Pappy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Hybrid Corolla, F250
Occupation
Retired Underground Coal Miner
Country flag
The looks were fine. It looked like a truck.

As you point out, though, it was pretty weak on actual specs, tho.

-Crissa
I had one on those Avalanche trucks (well the wife did), and bought it strictly on looks, the first year it came out. It hauled a Yamaha 4-wheeler and a Kawasaki dirt bike to the race trace every week end (till I broke my dang neck). Liked the truck except for the fuel milage, poor braking and the interior wasn’t the best available. Like Crissa stated pretty cool truck that lacked in some areas of concern. Like the CT the Avalanche caught my eye as the CT screams “Look at Me” now.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My father had a 1970 Ford 250, crew cab with an 8-foot bed, total length 266 inches, that's what I learned to drive in at 15, oh and a standard at that, thought nothing of it, nowadays some people wet their pants if they even look at a clutch. BTW, I took my driving test in that truck at 16 and passed the parallel parking test easily, never had to park parallel when we went to town though, always angled into the curb or straight parking lots.
See similar example photo

1622171355468.png

If you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch.
I know, it was previously available but discontinued years ago. 8 foot beds have been declining in popularity for decades. Most trucks now get a 6 1/2 footer or less.
Sponsored