Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
based on what? I’d be very happy to learn that
Based on my 4th rev CAD model I drew in the first week of the release? ;)

As I said the cab has the room, the question is how they place the front seats in the final version, and where the roof apex/c pillar goes.
Sponsored

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
There may be better threads to raise this but I can’t find a newer one:

has anyone seen better interior dimension measurements (or detective work) to determine the variant sizes of the CT bed?

By variant I mean the geometry of the front of the bed creates a few inches (but how many?) of the bed’s maximum depth (which is what?), then angles back toward the tailgate to create a second maximum depth near the top of the bed (which is what?).

The maximum depth would appear to allow for 2-3 sheets of plywood/drywall to nestle there under. And the angles portion of the bed would seem to allow many wheeled toys to nestle a bit further up. Basically, this lower maximum depth is the CT’s relative utilization of the “gear tunnel” :LOL:

C28D22FB-2D43-4F0F-9D78-952EF5B22318.jpeg

But for something taller, like a chest of drawers, the taller maximum depth would be the limiting factor.

There next appears possibly a question of the roofline’s relationship to the bed dept (green line below)

7865B92D-7911-49C1-AEC2-17220E628988.jpeg

In any event, these deltas don’t appear greater than 12” and so even the smallest CT bed dimension would seem to still be somewhat longer than the completions’

That said, I separately find it interesting that Tesla seems to have in some part achieved the increased bed length (if not simply the vehicle’s overall design proportions) by “sacrificing” the rear seat legroom:

0C2B30AC-AB66-4FBE-BBF4-EA6C53061AD6.jpeg

Being a full sized truck, it’s not surprising the CT’s rear seat seems better than the (for me) horribly small back seat of the Rivian:

955482CB-6ADC-4413-9937-F356126F370C.jpeg
33C2D181-4EA6-40AB-91F8-E05D16D566C7.jpeg

But the CT rear seat room appears markedly smaller than other full sized trucks, such as the Lightning - here’s a photo of the F-150’s rear seat minimum, front seats near all the way back, followed by a photo of the front seats placed nearer where mine are placed (as a 6’2” driver)

DA2C596D-618C-4DD4-BEBF-E7FC90D288F1.jpeg
ED5C519C-A131-4CA0-9115-71DA96B69A0C.jpeg

This F-150 back seat room is not only comfortable, it is a significant bit of utility/cargo space:

• for families (like mine) a marked advantage of an F-150 as even the largest car seats fit backwards-facing with plenty of room

04A9FDDB-3029-4AF0-9F72-BC9894842F0C.jpeg

• the rear cargo area becomes an enormous space with the rear seats folded up

A21BCF75-F3BE-477D-BAEC-23187A78E8FC.jpeg

personally, <snip>
Gen-Z and millennials have a whole wad of dough to spend I never could afford with young’uns in carseats. True to my oldest 41yo just now contemplating babyhood; she can afford an Audi(partly my fault starting her in a VW Jetta V6).

You got many young’uns in carseats, there.
For a F-150 workingman’s ride this is a new angle! You should’ve showed a baby carriage folded-up, loaded nice and tidy. Cybertruck can’t do that, except in the pickup bed.

The F-150 Lightning will demonstrate better on a showroom floor with all its usable space. Hat’s off to FORD, maximizing utility. It absolutely plays to its truck buyer audience. This carseat angle includes new familys, mothers and baby’s.

Cybertruck prototypes belie your pictures as they started with an enormous amount of legroom in the rearseats. Design feedback for a residential garageable length shortened the form factor. Snub nose isn’t as attractive shortened and that rear legroom begged designers to get creative. Shortened bed length in the pickup tells us that the garage exercise came up short.

The angle of the front dangle skirt isn’t quoted, spec’d or referenced and I can’t verify that it i vertical. I thought it a functional rain skirt to cleanly shed water. It appears to be ~3 sheets of ¾” plywood raised off the floor of the pickup bed. No idea if its depth exceeds an inch or four inches in depth. Its a cool hack but Tesla can’t measure bed length via a cutout. If Tesla has angled the skirt to match the rear backrest angle, one hell of a crashbar cum headache rack must hide behind the skirt dangle. That’s just Safety #1 sake.

The subsequent prototypes after the nosejob and bedbob to the pickup exhibited a roof overhang shown as shadow. Made no sense in-production, useless for standing cargo and not even a clever eyebrow. So that translated as prototype cruft left as-is.

Expect the GRN line to move forward on the production CT. There’s some parallax occurring between the photograph and graphic vectors. Its an isometric projection. Maybe someone answers back with measures for you.

As a commercial and residential contractor using pickups in the field daily, crewed and tooled, the bed length is not a deal breaker. Concrete leftover forms are gathered stacked and errant over-order sheets of ply get moved by pickup. Whole plywood bunks are delivered and craned onto sites. Rarely a quantity is moved by pickup and seriously tailgate down is SOP with sawhorses and scaffolding frames sticking sky high atop. It looks like a garage sale going down the road. Never is the transit more than a few miles.
Tools are jobbox secure and load onto any pickup bed length. BUT should Tesla leave a cutout, Design is incumbent to make that space earn its keep ala Rivian. Any space that’s functional will find use, as Ford clearly communicates and Rivian banked on it.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Country flag
based on how regularly I change vehicles, is at least the life of two different vehicles
At least you don’t have to admit changing wives with two different families! LOL

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Country flag
As I said the cab has the room, the question is how they place the front seats in the final version, and where the roof apex/c pillar goes.
based on what? I’d be very happy to learn that
Tesla Cybertruck Bed length revisited 3A7A7A60-3B98-48E8-B4B1-A343555C5550

Tesla Cybertruck Bed length revisited F8FA4F48-4E8D-4849-96CE-48667F59D264

Good callout @JBee! I didn’t catch Tesla does have flex to move the b-pillar on Cybertruck. Just 1mm can feel like an inch inside an interior. That’s a smoothe move.
Notice the yoke opens useable front driver space. Fingers crossed Tesla Yoke gets elect-over-hydraulic, speed sensitive and progressive. So seating fore/aft could differ from a conventional steering wheel.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Gen-Z and millennials have a whole wad of dough to spend I never could afford with young’uns in carseats. True to my oldest 41yo just now contemplating babyhood
similarly, I’m squarely Gen-X, just didn’t have my 1st until 40yo and I’ll be 45yo by the time my 3rd arrives in February

You got many young’uns in carseats, there.
For a F-150 workingman’s ride this is a new angle!
I’ve long Squawked that Ford underplays the utility of the SuperCrew to young families. My wife has an Expedition with captain’s chairs, and it has far less room in the 2nd row - with 2 car seats installed making the 3rd row nearly useless.

As a commercial and residential contractor using pickups in the field daily, crewed and tooled, the bed length is not a deal breaker.
this is my impression as well, from less but similar experience. I think it’s no accident the ICE market has 6.5’ beds disproportionately in heavy-duty trucks, because I find a 1/2 ton truck to more regularly hit its load weight limit (eg if hauling gravel/stone) than to not accommodate the length of items. All of which is why it’s not uncommon to see a 6.5’ bed truck accommodating an installed tool box, then leaving ~5’ of bed space. Tailgate and bed-extender features have made 5.5’ beds plenty capable.

Of course, I’ll take both (bigger bed and rear space) if I can!

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
And the angles portion of the bed would seem to allow many wheeled toys to nestle a bit further up.
Any space gain from the angled front is negated by the fact that you have to place a 4x4 in front of the front tire on a majority of the two wheeled toys that would be transported in the back of this. The angled front wall is detrimental to transporting motorcycles in the bed because the front fender will smash against the angled front wall, more so than if it were just straight and you placed a 4x4 in front of the tire.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Any space gain from the angled front is negated by the fact that you have to place a 4x4 in front of the front tire on a majority of the two wheeled toys that would be transported in the back of this. The angled front wall is detrimental to transporting motorcycles in the bed because the front fender will smash against the angled front wall, more so than if it were just straight and you placed a 4x4 in front of the tire.
Good point esp RE street bikes etc.

for some reason my imagination biased towards quads and dirt bikes, which I only guesstimated fenders to clear the windshield.

But unlike a true 6.5’ bed, a dirt bik probably won’t and a golf cart prob will not fit with the tailgate up if the 6.5’ is measured from the bottom of the nook

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
Good point esp RE street bikes etc.

for some reason my imagination biased towards quads and dirt bikes, which I only guesstimated fenders to clear the windshield.

But unlike a true 6.5’ bed, a dirt bik probably won’t and a golf cart prob will not fit with the tailgate up if the 6.5’ is measured from the bottom of the nook
Yep.. I've been beating this drum for a year now. Really would be my only gripe with it the fact that the bed length is only truly 6 1/2 foot at the very bottom of the angled front wall. I wish it were that length at the top of the wall at narrowest point of the wall.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Country flag
I think it’s no accident the ICE market has 6.5’ beds disproportionately in heavy-duty trucks, because I find a 1/2 ton truck to more regularly hit its load weight limit (eg if hauling gravel/stone) than to not accommodate the length of items
Room becomes critical when you need to accommodate family who’s not a baby anymore but still relegated to sanctioned carseat safety.

Here’s to hoping you don’t have a little one in booster seat at 8yo, as one of my acquaintances son had in CA. California has both height and weight restrictions and his 8y.o. couldn’t graduate out of the childseat. Her son humblebragged how his kid would get married in a carseat!
Tesla Cybertruck Bed length revisited 3029E275-EC04-4AE0-BF43-9501AC27E916

The “Sportrack” changed the pickup buying preference to shorter, sportier pre-Runner trucks.

The 6.5’ bed length is workable. People aren’t think just how they can use all 6.5’ and more as far as 7.5’. Those solutions aren’t OTS, ready.

The 8’ bed was McPickup even back when you could afford a McCamper on the back. Wonderful effect an 8’ bed had on how well a pickup rode - it was Limo!

Last edited:

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Here’s to hoping you don’t have a little one in booster seat at 8yo, as one of my acquaintances son had in CA. California has both height and weight restrictions and his 8y.o. couldn’t graduate out of the childseat. Her son humblebragged how his kid would get married in a carseat!
California I believe merely follows the recommendations of the American Academy of Pediatrics

Tesla Cybertruck Bed length revisited CEBAA4BA-1F72-4356-A727-83932EDE5027

With my wife being a physician herself, we’ll also be following the AAP recs :LOL:

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Country flag
With my wife being a physician herself
Was in your shoes. Wife a Scripps physician, drove our Bronco into the ground during med school forgetting a truck needed oil in the engine., LOL I pulled the dipstick out to instant flames.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I think it would be quite misleading to advertise a 6' 6" bed if it only applied to the bottom few inches of the bed.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Yea, many men lack a few inches in the bed , and make do.
Sponsored