Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
It’s a raised DeLorean with a Model 3 interior, what’s innovative about it?
Wow. Talk about only seeing the surface. Sure if you squint it looks like a raised DeLorean.

But how thick is the stainless steel of the DeLorean? If you just super activate your x-ray specs and look more than the 0.8mm thickness of the DeLorean skin, you will still be in stainless steel for another 2.2 mm which is a big clue to some of the innovation.

Then looking a little deeper you will find a key environmental and safety related feature. The Cybertruck has innovated so much that it no longer needs the DeLorean's flux capacitor using 1.21 jigawatts of electricity. Instead the Cybertruck manages to get mind-blowing acceleration, very high range values, power enough to get off -road in the wildest locals, and all this on a mobile battery pack that doesn't require an actual lightning bolt or plutonium to work. Now, a side effect that you may think is a downgrade, is the loss of time travel. Personally, I'm not so ready to surf the resulting alternate timelines so this seems like a net positive in my book. But your mileage may vary.
Sponsored

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
The look argument is pointless. People like what they like and dislike what they don't. Nobody's mind is going to change. I own a Lightning and never liked the look. It is a truck. but I consider blending in an advantage. I do have to travel into redneck areas and having the opportunity to explain myself because of what I drive will never could get old. The beauty of my spot in CT line is by the time it is my turn, it will not be as much of an issue. those same rednecks will have already been informed as to how superior the Cybertruck is in terms of gas savings, performance, towing and hauling capacity, ground clearance, water fording, hill climbing, and driving dynamics.
There, I fixed that for you! :sneaky:

In fact, you can tell them that "fording depth" has been officially re-named, it's now called "fiording depth" to prevent people from thinking that Ford leads in terms of water crossing ability. It's a Norwegian term refering to really deep water. :LOL:

There are tons of things I like about Ford like price, spare tire, uncomplicated suspension, quiet, smooth ride, acceleration, the fact that it has a lot of old stuff means I could get a ton of accessories at a reasonable price for it the first week. I could get under the skin and modify stuff easily...... so there are a lot of Pros but there are Cons too. Biggies are 0.56 drag coefficient and having to rely on iffy charging network. I like CT's original look but with wiper and mirror,...... not as much.
Just curious what accessories you have bought for your Lightning, and what modifications you have done, since taking delivery?

Have you seen CT in person? I have not but it seems like people who have, tend to like it more after seeing it. Keep an open mind.
Absolutely! I have purposefully resisted the draw of visiting a Cybertruck in person to keep the hole in the pit of my stomach from gnawing larger. It's bad enough as it is!

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
I personally have a Reservation and happen to like the look of the CT, I just find it hilarious when some die hards melt when anything negative is said about the CT. unimaginable ignorance is put on full display.
There, I fixed that for you!

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
The CT has an incredibly interesting and innovative design. For someone with who appreciates the modernist design aesthetic, it is awesome.

Some people will look at iconic architecture like the Rothko Chapel or the Guggenheim or the Eames house and say they are stark and ugly while others will appreciate the beauty in the clean lines. Some will prefer the busy, ostentatious gilded age architecture.

Ram/GM/Ford are producing gilded age trucks with shiny-plush-busy-bling everywhere you look inside the cabin. Franz is pushing a modernist design. It will not be to everyone's taste.
Very true. However, I am of the mind that it is possible to not not find things ugly just because I don't like them.

Except the Pontiac Aztek...

And that new BMW 7 series with the grill larger than a small horse... I mean, look at it.

Tesla Cybertruck Elon: "I was just reviewing the production beta Cybertruck. It is incredible." 1675366922951

I mean, WTF?

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Now, a side effect that you may think is a downgrade, is the loss of time travel. Personally, I'm not so ready to surf the resulting alternate timelines so this seems like a net positive in my book. But your mileage may vary.
Yup, with Cybertruck you don't have to worry about making a little mistake in a past timeline and removing yourself from ever existing. Some might think never existing is probably just a minor inconvenience.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
It’s called “Truckholm Syndrome”. People have spent 15 years justifying to their spouse and friends that they butt ugly truck is awesome that they’ve fooled themselves into believing it.

Cybertruck will be normalized within 3 years of launch. They will be boring and un-noteworthy within 5 years. Some people will still hate them, but it will no longer be this big “controversy”.

BayouCityBob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3
Country flag
Very true. However, I am of the mind that it is possible to not not find things ugly just because I don't like them.

Except the Pontiac Aztek...

And that new BMW 7 series with the grill larger than a small horse... I mean, look at it.

1675366922951.png

I mean, WTF?
If you were a beaver you would think that 7 series grill is one sexy beast...

Tesla Cybertruck Elon: "I was just reviewing the production beta Cybertruck. It is incredible." 636040958151009984-ThinkstockPhotos-485869085

KHappe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck on order
Country flag
I started out not really liking the exterior of the CT. But the features it had won me over. Air suspension. Big roomy cabin. Covered bed. Not having to worry about scratching the paint.
Price comparing to M3 and MY was awesome. Built-in AC outlet. (Great for running the equipment at baseball practice.) Good price on the FSD. ( Hope they honor it)
And overall I thought it would be a great road car. It would make traveling around Texas a lot more comfortable.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Just curious what accessories you have bought for your Lightning, and what modifications you have done, since taking delivery?
I am guessing you are asking this so you can say you don't have to do any of that with CT but you asked so I will answer: Nothing serious. I got the bare bone trim so I had to add running boards to make my short wife happy (that is my excuse but I need it more than she does). I had to get floor mats, bull ring retractable bed tie down. Bed Cleats Box Link tie downs all of which would fit earlier models with a lot of options to chose from. I can use my Thule adjustable racks off my old truck for my kayaks (not on for winter).

I have done no mods but you can see on Lightning Forum what people are doing. I am not sure if they could or would feel comfortable messing with CT as much. Parts seem very accessible on this truck without needing many special tools. My point is if you take a Lightning to a body shop or a gas station to do some basic work done, there is less of a chance they freak out than if you take a CT to a non Tesla shop. This is not an issue for most people especially those that don't keep their vehicles past warranty or take it to the boons away from civilization and I am not trying to convince any of them to think differently. It is just that having options has value for me personally.

Please don't turn this into a Tesla Rocks and Ford sucks rant. I don't have any special attachment to neither. I wrote a response because you asked a question. I am here because I am hoping CT's advantages and value (for me) will justify a trade. By then, there will be a lot of owner reviews of CT and I have a better feel for EV life. There is a chance Lightning may convince me that both of them are too big for me.

Last edited:

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Please don't turn this into a Tesla Rocks and Ford sucks rant.
OK, I won't say "Tesla Rocks and Ford sucks".

But a
500mi range, super low drag aerodynamic shaped front, dynamically lowering air suspension, 3mm cold-rolled dent-resistant scratch-resistant stainless steel exterior, armor glass windowed, low drag aerodynamic shaped powered tonneau covered 6ft bed, 3,500lb payload, 6-seater EV truck would ROCK
and a
250mi range, huge barn shaped aero dragging front, static non-lowering non-air suspension, eggshell fragile thin painted aluminum exterior, low payload, aero dragging backside of barn 5.5ft bed, 5-seater EV truck would SUCK.

Hardly any difference at all (sarcasm warning).

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
OK, I won't say "Tesla Rocks and Ford sucks".

But a
500mi range, super low drag aerodynamic shaped front, dynamically lowering air suspension, 3mm cold-rolled dent-resistant scratch-resistant stainless steel exterior, armor glass windowed, low drag aerodynamic shaped powered tonneau covered 6ft bed, 3,500lb payload, 6-seater EV truck would ROCK
and a
250mi range, huge barn shaped aero dragging front, static non-lowering non-air suspension, eggshell fragile thin painted aluminum exterior, low payload, aero dragging backside of barn 5.5ft bed, 5-seater EV truck would SUCK.

Hardly any difference at all (sarcasm warning).
I can assure you after reading a million posts about the latest “Tesla Killer” coming out “Later this year”, it’s a lot easier for an unreleased car to stomp the pants off of an actual existing vehicle.

Cybertruck range right now is 0 miles. Its cargo capacity is 0 pounds.

We can wait 6-9 months until these are actually under customers butts to make comparisons. Until then, the Lightning wins every lap.

Of course this is a marathon not a sprint.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
I can assure you after reading a million posts about the latest “Tesla Killer” coming out “Later this year”, it’s a lot easier for an unreleased car to stomp the pants off of an actual existing vehicle.

Cybertruck range right now is 0 miles. Its cargo capacity is 0 pounds.

We can wait 6-9 months until these are actually under customers butts to make comparisons. Until then, the Lightning wins every lap.

Of course this is a marathon not a sprint.
My choices were $110K Hummer, $80K Rivian and a $40K Lightning which Ford could get it to me earlier than the other two. I never thought I would ever be driving a Ford but so far, I am pretty happy with it. I wouldn't feel as comfortable traveling with it as I would with a 350 mile CT but as long as we have an ICE in the driveway for that 5% use, it works.

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
My choices were $110K Hummer, $80K Rivian and a $40K Lightning which Ford could get it to me earlier than the other two. I never thought I would ever be driving a Ford but so far, I am pretty happy with it. I wouldn't feel as comfortable traveling with it as I would with a 350 mile CT but as long as we have an ICE in the driveway for that 5% use, it works.
As long as your good with the range seems like an ok deal. Particularly if you have a long wait for the Cybertruck.

Unrelated… Ford had a horrible 4th quarter. Absolutely slaughtered.
Sponsored