Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Cybertruck can be cancelled due to market disinterest ...
The second after I pick up mine.
You... and the ... million+ others on the wait list? We know it's at least half a million. Not sure how many more than that. Likely at least a million.

SpaceDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Kia Sportage PHEV... 2025+ GMC Denali EV
Occupation
Space Cowboy
Country flag
I read the opinion piece. Healy is wrong. He's clearly put off by the unique (ugly?), futuristic stylings of the CT and the lack of enthusiasm of the people around him at the unveiling. And let's face it, the CT is, at first glance, shockingly unattractive from afar. But I'm betting people will love the way it looks up close. The seamlessness of the body, smooth aerodynamic design...this is not a car. It's not even a truck...it's an aircraft. And it was clearly built to have the aerodynamics of one.

Looks aside, Healy's main complaint is that the CT won't do "truck things" as well as the electric truck competition. I beg to differ. In fact, I think the aesthetics be dammed. The Cybertruck will succeed precisely because it does truck things BETTER than the competition.

Let's ignore the fact that he neglects to explain any specifics as to which "truck things" the CT won't do well. But if he means hauling loads, exploring rough back roads, camping, and towing....the CT will be a clear winner if it can deliver the features we were promised.

And all of THAT aside....the single most important feature in any EV is it's range. The CT is a clear winner when it comes to range, thanks to its highly aerodynamic design. This is exactly where the other trucks fail, and it will kill their EPA range. Tesla is getting rid of the door handles, mirrors, open bed, and rigid suspension for a reason. It's range.

I think in the EV Truck space, Cybertruck will be a huge hit. The fact that it's ugly won't make a difference. This is a utility vehicle. It's much like the Honda Element, which was decried as ugly and unlovable when it was released in 2003. Now here we are 18 years later, and they are one of the more popular vehicles on the road. They're popular because when it comes to utility, they are nearly unmatched. I think CT will do the same.

Well said.

Just like when the iPhone came out, some folks might have thought it was absurd. Where are the dang buttons?! How am I supposed to make a call on that piece of glass?? etc. LOL!
We all know how that turned out.

SpaceDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Space Cowboy
Country flag
Think about all the things Tesla has done to bring the cost of the Cybertruck down.

Now imagine if they applied that to a Kei truck?

iu-3.jpeg

Then we could have a true mini truck for $20,000.

Similarly, imagine if they made a a 4 door sedan in this same style.

I can't help but think both would be super popular. Particularly if they had a 300 mile range.
Now that would be a true utility vehicle. You could beat the crap out of it, and not worry. And it'd probably run for decades. :D

SpaceDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Space Cowboy
Country flag
AI + Self replicating robots + cheap energy. Once we have that, we can do whatever we want.
Of course when that happens, then humans become obsolete. ;)

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Of course when that happens, then humans become obsolete. ;)
I know folks in state government that became obsolete 20 years ago but keep getting promoted.

Getting rid of humans legally is the challenging part.

p.s. I am not a robot (yet)

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 f150 5.0 customized
Country flag
Of course, I'm obviously biased here. Most of us here are. Maybe we'll see a few (tens of) thousands of Cybertrucks for launch, then demand will just fall off a cliff and the truck will belly flop hard. Then I have an oddball collectors truck.
[/QUOTE]
That's what I was thinking to if it flops it will become a collectors vehicle that will never depreciate in value

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
That was my subtext. :)
Democracy doesn't work with fiat currency. So we don't have a democracy, and haven't for a while, no matter how hard anyone yells it from the rooftops or goes to war for it, or they bury their head in the sand and sing lalala with fingers in their ears. ?

We have currency dictatorships, nothing more. Freedom is the illusion pedaled by the rich to the poor. Because reality is that you can only do what you can afford to do, in a capitilist world. ?

If you had a decent resource management and value system then you could try to get democracy to work better, but it will still remain mob rule. And if the mob is dumb, so is the government. Sadly, voting for someone doesn't make them smart, or just, neither the right person for the job. Even smart people voting for them because they are the only "best" option, doesn't make either smarter.

Nature never votes. It's an artificial, unnatural and unsustainable way to govern. ?

Last edited:

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Democracy doesn't work with fiat currency.
I agree with much of what you said. Here is another way to look at it: The system may be unfair but is that really a bad thing? If it was fair, instead of voting with our $100 for a CT, we could be voting for a rusted used bike like many do in forgotten corners of Africa, South America, China, India, ……. If Elon had the same voting rights as the rest of us, would we see Giga factory being built?

Making distributed power work even if you use other means than fiat currency is not that easy. The few trying to take advantage of many is as old as humanity. Rich vs a poor is just one manifestation of it. Smart few vs idiot masses, informed few vs uninformed masses, politically connected few vs isolated masses, …. format may change but the concept is deep rooted. Type the word stoning into google images to see the other face of democracy where wisdom of masses is not as pretty as we imagined.

The system may be rigged but we all know how it is rigged. There is a bit of fairness in that.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I agree with much of what you said. Here is another way to look at it: The system may be unfair but is that really a bad thing? If it was fair, instead of voting with our $100 for a CT, we could be voting for a rusted used bike like many do in forgotten corners of Africa, South America, China, India, ……. If Elon had the same voting rights as the rest of us, would we see Giga factory being built?

Making distributed power work even if you use other means than fiat currency is not that easy. The few trying to take advantage of many is as old as humanity. Rich vs a poor is just one manifestation of it. Smart few vs idiot masses, informed few vs uninformed masses, politically connected few vs isolated masses, …. format may change but the concept is deep rooted. Type the word stoning into google images to see the other face of democracy where wisdom of masses is not as pretty as we imagined.

The system may be rigged but we all know how it is rigged. There is a bit of fairness in that.
I'm not complaining, least of all for me. I've seen mankinds anguish first hand. I speak these things because people need to change their hearts, as well as their minds. I believe we can do better, we don't have to be limited by our history or cultural heritage. I was taught you can either be a victim of change or the architect of change. We desperately need more architects.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
That's what I was thinking to if it flops it will become a collectors vehicle that will never depreciate in value
Not holding my breath on this. It's kind of 50/50 or maybe 20/80. Didn't help Aztek or Subaru Brat owners for certain. Element and Subaru Baja owners enjoyed it. Not sure where the Avalanche fits into the mix.

My hope is there are 40 generations of Cybertruck's which are loved by car owners of future generations and mine being from the first generation will be sought after by collectors.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
No, you cannot have a democracy with a non-fiat currency.

If the currency is tied to a resource, then the producer of that resource have veto on any democratic decisions. That's why the silver runs of the nineteenth century were a big deal (and why it's somewhat annoying that they're not taught in elementary school let alone high school).

The best would be for the central bank to be operated by the government, but capitalists - specifically bankers - do not want their power disrupted. Their power of interest rate can topple any government. It's a weak point in our current system of government, but the US has for the last seventy years escaped it by playing multiple banks off each other and retaining control of prime rate.

Capital is the horse democracy rides, but only sort of controls. That's why regulation is so important.

My hope is there are 40 generations of Cybertruck's which are loved by car owners of future generations and mine being from the first generation will be sought after by collectors.
There hasn't been 40 generations since cars were invented!

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
There hasn't been 40 generations since cars were invented!
I meant 40 generations of cars. I guess even that is pushing it since there have only been 15 generations of F150s and I don't know any car with more iterations than that.
Sponsored