Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I searched and found pricing structure, you save $20 per unit if you buy a 6pack or more. My wife wants one. So what it goes 27 mph an has lead batteries.

I am this close to an impulse buy.

Thanks for the link.
What are you doing with the other 5?
Sponsored

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I think you are taking Elon too literally, he's just not in the mood to defend the Cybertruck before they have proven production trucks ready for market. I think the only way it can fail is if Tesla cannot produce it with the stated specs and price point (and I don't really see that as being very likely). Worst case scenario, after initial deliveries at a loss, they have to add up to $10K to each trim level. In that worst case, it will not be a run-away best-seller but will still have solid sales for years to come.

The most likely scenario is Tesla does what it says it will do as far as specs and price, and then some, and it's a run-away best seller. The looks aren't going to stop that because it's actually a very good looking tool, well-suited to doing most of the things trucks are typically used for. Obviously, it will have strong and weak points when compared to a traditional gas or diesel truck but the strong points will easily carry the day for about 80% of the truck market. Because cost matters. A lot.

And people don't know this yet but they are ready for something new. Ready to leave the frumpy old-fashioned trucks behind. It's so yesteryear and only a small percentage of society wants to spend a lot of money on outdated tools.
Did you read my post?

I don't doubt it will succeed and my explanation of what EM actually said proves he still thinks it will too.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Wrangler, Tractors
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
I don't think any Tesla has come with a spare tire.
Would make sense on a truck though... Throw it in the back! haha

The door handle thing though... only Tesla would think that's a viable way to cut costs on a truck.
I wouldn't be surprised if it costs more to do this than just stick with a handle.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Would make sense on a truck though... Throw it in the back! haha
It would. Particularly since it's an Off Road vehicle.

I wouldn't be surprised if it costs more to do this than just stick with a handle.
I'm not as sure. It's not just the lever itself, but they can eliminate a bunch of reinforcing inside the door.

The handle and that reinforcing has to survive getting wrenched on... often hard, thousands of times. Also, on a Tesla, there is this weird things where the window rolls down just slightly right as you start pulling on the handle due to the frameless windows. So there are sensors inside the handle to detect when you start pulling it.

The kick latch eliminates the reinforcement, doesn't need to survive little kids hanging off it, and eliminates that sensor when you start pulling on the door handle.

Definitely lighter than the handle. If they add some kind of proper opening/ closing mechanism similar to the Model X, it might be more expensive but still lighter.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Just imagine you are Elon Musk. Someone tweets an article about how the Cybertruck is going to flop.

Musk is sitting on a stack of ?? million pre-orders (he's printed them all out, it's a tall seat). He could say "I've got 77 bajillion preorders you idiot, of course it's not going to flop."

It's a nice smack down, but everyone who is paying attention already knows Tesla has a lot of pre-orders. So he would get roughly 7 retweets and no stories in the media.

Instead Musk says "Meh, I don't care if it flops because I'm a maverick and I just build stuff I want to drive". Result? 5+ days of stories about how Musk doesn't care if the Cybertruck is a success and he just wants to make truck that he wants to enjoy.

When was the last time Mary Barra got that kind of press for an off-the cuff statement?

Who is the CEO of Ford?

Have you seen the idiot dog-and-pony show Stellantis did for Dodge and Ram?

Rivian is of course secretly thanking Musk for taking the spotlight when the media would otherwise be covering their embarrassing delay.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Just imagine you are Elon Musk. Someone tweets an article about how the Cybertruck is going to flop.

Musk is sitting on a stack of ?? million pre-orders (he's printed them all out, it's a tall seat). He could say "I've got 77 bajillion preorders you idiot, of course it's not going to flop."

It's a nice smack down, but everyone who is paying attention already knows Tesla has a lot of pre-orders. So he would get roughly 7 retweets and no stories in the media.

Instead Musk says "Meh, I don't care if it flops because I'm a maverick and I just build stuff I want to drive". Result? 5+ days of stories about how Musk doesn't care if the Cybertruck is a success and he just wants to make truck that he wants to enjoy.

When was the last time Mary Barra got that kind of press for an off-the cuff statement?

Who is the CEO of Ford?

Have you seen the idiot dog-and-pony show Stellantis did for Dodge and Ram?

Rivian is of course secretly thanking Musk for taking the spotlight when the media would otherwise be covering their embarrassing delay.
But EM didn't say that at all. Thats only the title of this thread, but not actually what he said.

Sure there is free publicity from it, but only from fanboys and deniers who can't read, or only read someone eles headlines because they're to lazy to read and understand the context, and just want to be heard singing from the rooftops instead. ;-)

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
But EM didn't say that at all. Thats only the title of this thread, but not actually what he said.

Sure there is free publicity from it, but only from fanboys and deniers who can't read, or only read someone eles headlines because they're to lazy to read and understand the context, and just want to be heard singing from the rooftops instead. ;-)
Obviously I was paraphrasing Musk. What he actually said:

"To be frank, there is always some chance that Cybertruck will flop, because it is so unlike anything else. I donā€™t care. I love it so much even if others donā€™t. "

Which... you can split hairs is more or less what I said.

As for fan boys giving him free press. Maybe you don't get out much?

CNBC, Barrons, FoxBusiness, USANews, Newsweek, etc etc.

Pretty much all the major financial outlets covered it and many generic News sites.

Of course they misinterpreted it. Everyone sees things through their own lenses.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Obviously I was paraphrasing Musk. What he actually said:

"To be frank, there is always some chance that Cybertruck will flop, because it is so unlike anything else. I donā€™t care. I love it so much even if others donā€™t. "

Which... you can split hairs is more or less what I said.

As for fan boys giving him free press. Maybe you don't get out much?

CNBC, Barrons, FoxBusiness, USANews, Newsweek, etc etc.

Pretty much all the major financial outlets covered it and many generic News sites.

Of course they misinterpreted it. Everyone sees things through their own lenses.
Its not the same thing at all. But doesn't matter because I agree with the rest.
And no I don't get out much, just a country pumpkin sitting on a potato patch trying to figure out how that happened! ?

As for seeing through their own lenses; The media only have the lenses which were bought for them by their stakeholders, to shoot the coverage in such a way it benefits their shareholders.

Martin Harford

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1993 Dodge Ram 150
Occupation
Retired physician
Country flag
Elon Musk dismissed criticism of the Tesla Cybertruck on Thursday following an article from that compared the futuristic vehicle to "a one-off Hot Wheels toy come to life."

"To be frank, there is always some chance that Cybertruck will flop, because it is so unlike anything else. I don't care," Musk tweeted. "I love it so much even if others don't."

"Other trucks look like copies of the same thing, but Cybertruck looks like it was made by aliens from the future," he added.

In further tweets, Musk said Tesla is keeping the same production design that it unveiled in 2019 with "just some small tweaks here and there to make it slightly better."

nstead of door handles, Musk said the truck will recognize its owner and open automatically, and that it would have four-wheel steering for tighter turns.

As the second anniversary of the Cybertruck announcement approaches, Tesla has yet to begin scaling up its manufacturing of the vehicle while offerings from competitors like Rivian and Ford grab headlines.

"If we get lucky, we'll be able to do a few deliveries toward the end of this year, but I expect volume production to be in 2022," Musk told investors back in January.

Musk acknowledged then that concepts are relatively simple compared to actually getting vehicles produced and on the road.

"Prototypes are easy, scaling production is very hard," he said.
On the TTAC blog that sparked the conversation, Tim Healey said that with the announcement of Dodge's EV Ram truck, each of the Big Three Detroit automakers will have an electric truck offering ā€“ plus the marketing and manufacturing experience to deliver.

"Once the initial wave of enthusiasm dies down, the Cybertruck will be outshone by the competition," Healey wrote. "I think the Cybertruck just won't sell well, and Tesla will soon find itself working on a more conventional electric pickup."

Pricing for the Cybertruck starts at $39,900, and various estimates put the number of refundable $100 reservations somewhere between 650,000 and 1 million. Production will most likely take place at Tesla's newest factory near Austin, Texas when it is finished.

https://www.businessinsider.com/elo...sla-cybertruck-flops-production-design-2021-7
CT a Flop? Won't sell well? Will fade away? That's what competitors wet dreams are made of!
Sponsored