Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Elon Musk says the Cybertruck will cost $1 million if Tesla does this

Volume battery production is key to cutting costs

The Tesla Semi and Cybertruck are being parked on the back burner.

Elon Musk revealed during the company's second-quarter earnings call that the Semi won't launch until 2022 and that the Cybertruck isn't being built until Model Y production is up and running at volume at the Texas factory that will manufacture both it and the pickup.

Tesla Cybertruck Elon Musk says the Cybertruck will cost $1 million if Tesla does this lectric-Pickup-with-Extendable-Ramps-and-Tesla-ATV

(Tesla)

Musk said production of the vehicles faces various parts supply and engineering challenges, but the Model Y is the priority at the new plant. Tesla plans to incorporate its next-generation 4680 battery technology into the Texas-built Model Y, but has a "backup plan" that uses the packs currently used in Model Ys produced in California and China.

The Cybertruck and Semi are also designed around the 4680 battery, which is still in development, but the large vehicles are "heavy users of cell capacity" so they won't become economically viable until there is a steady supply. Musk said if Tesla started building the Cybertruck at low volumes the pickups could cost "$1 million a piece," so it will be holding off until things get sorted out.

Tesla had been aiming to have the first Cybertrucks delivered by the end of 2021, and still advertises it as such. Musk didn't confirm that target still stands, but added that he thinks the vehicle, which is currently listed with starting prices ranging from $39,990 to $69,990, will be Tesla's "best product ever."

According to a crowdsourced tally, Tesla already has over one million reservations for the radically styled Cybertruck, which Musk admits could be the company's first "flop."

Along with the new battery, the Model Y and Cybertruck are engineered with dozens of parts replaced by large single castings produced by the world's largest presses and the processes to build them like that are also still being ironed out.

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/elon-musk-cybertruck-cost-1-million-tesla
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
You know, this news doesn't bother me.

I'd much rather Tesla take their time to get the CT right.

The right batteries
The right engineering
The right production processes
The right materials
The right cost
Tesla Cybertruck Elon Musk says the Cybertruck will cost $1 million if Tesla does this Screen Shot 2021-07-26 at 9.06.17 PM

Tesla Cybertruck Elon Musk says the Cybertruck will cost $1 million if Tesla does this images-4

Tesla Cybertruck Elon Musk says the Cybertruck will cost $1 million if Tesla does this file-6670-66904981e780f9cec82490fb4fa03e40

Tesla Cybertruck Elon Musk says the Cybertruck will cost $1 million if Tesla does this Low-Patience

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
What a terrible click-bait title.

If you only built 1 Cybertruck, they would cost $1billion each! If you built 2, they would cost $500.1 million (and change) each. If you only built 5, they could cost $200.1 million each....

Edit: I know Musk said $1m if they did it before they got volume, but context matters.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
You know, this news doesn't bother me.

I'd much rather Tesla take their time to get the CT right.

The right batteries
The right engineering
The right production processes
The right materials
The right cost
I would really like to see those 4680 cells get some road time before I buy also. I really think commodity pricing is scaring them right now. steel, copper, resins are all still elevated due to the pandemic (or so they say) that Truck has at least 50% more mass if not more than the Model Y. That mass equals material that they have to buy plane and simple. I am putting out $100M in estimates this week (I literally worked all weekend and slept 2 or 3 hours last night) in construction and commodity pricing is wild right now. That extra ton of material that tesla is paying inflated prices on per truck is no joke. Its steel, stainless, copper, glass- all 30% plus inflated right now. The model Y production can't keep up with demand and they have already made large cost adjustments and demand didn't even blink it seems and they are likely reliably profitable right now on the Y. They want to see that factory up and running and making money to get a financial base established and then try their luck with the CT. Personally I welcome the delay. I am hoping to buy the truck outright and this gives me more time to save. And it give us more time to stretch out these long and repetitive forums that one way or another always seem to end with Crissa proving that women are smarter than men. ;) Plus with the delay, I will be one year older and wiser and that much less likely to see what my wife thinks about 0-60 in under 3 seconds with the kids in the car.

OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Indeed they do:
1627353358377.png
This can happen if you are older in age and not a young'un..........

Or while waiting for your CT die from some dreaded disease like Jack Rickard(cancer)R.I.P. or Mule Ferguson,age 87(not sure cause of death) a member and contributor of CT Owners Club died March 3, 2020 R.I.P.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Hate to say, longer production takes, more likely to upgrade trim package if trim package does not cause a delay.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
This can happen if you are older in age and not a young'un..........

Or while waiting for your CT die from some dreaded disease like Jack Rickard(cancer)R.I.P. or Mule Ferguson,age 87(not sure cause of death) a member and contributor of CT Owners Club died March 3, 2020 R.I.P.
Man, this got more real than I intended. Sad To read for a club this young, we already have had losses. I am no spring chicken either and am in above average risk of not seeing my CT. But to be frank, as much as I like the truck, CT will not be in my mind in my death bed.

Last edited:

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Listening to the earnings call and Tesla periodically drops out on sound. They said they were broadcasting from the Giga Texas plant. I’m thinking they just might be using starlink to connect.

Sounds pretty clear when they are not cut out so I’m thinking that bandwidth isn’t a problem. In past calls it has been a bit difficult to hear the Tesla team.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Another thought here.
Listening to the earnings call and Tesla periodically drops out on sound. They said they were broadcasting from the Giga Texas plant. I’m thinking they just might be using starlink to connect.

Sounds pretty clear when they are not cut out so I’m thinking that bandwidth isn’t a problem. In past calls it has been a bit difficult to hear the Tesla team.
Musk pretty clearly doesn’t like screwing with the calls and it’s likely he does them from wherever he happens to be. He said something about not being on them any more (didn’t quite catch the full sentiment).

Someone asked him to do an interview and he didn’t quite turn it down entirely, but did say when he’s doing interviews it takes away time from other things (which he would clearly prefer spending time on).

So yes, he was at the factory in Texas, likely walked out of some other meeting and into this call. Might be why it started late.

OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Someone asked him to do an interview and he didn’t quite turn it down entirely, but did say when he’s doing interviews it takes away time from other things (which he would clearly prefer spending time on).
Unless it's Joe Rogan. He did at least two interviews with Joe at over 1 hour each.

And I was shocked that he did such long interviews. Maybe he just needed a break ?‍♂
Sponsored