OP
OP

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
I would not want to drive a “Sometimes Boat” on a big body of water like that. The waves get a lot bigger on the big lakes. You’d likely have swells washing over the windshield with moderate winds. I guess that would put the BAW to work.
Hey, that might explain why Cybertruck has such a heavy-duty BAW.
Elon thought he might need the BAW when crossing the shipping channel on the way to San Padre Island.
Sponsored

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
Tesla Cybertruck Elon says Cybertruck might have options for hitch mounted motor propeller or special wheel hub with paddles 🚣‍♂️ wheelpaddleCT

elon tweeted 2 days after i posted this, sus....jk
but if you are listening, Ill get a visible tesla tattoo if you gift me a CT. lol

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
wheelpaddleCT.png

elon tweeted 2 days after i posted this, sus....jk
but if you are listening, Ill get a visible tesla tattoo if you gift me a CT. lol

Interesting design.

I can use paint too. Here is an idea I had:

Tesla Cybertruck Elon says Cybertruck might have options for hitch mounted motor propeller or special wheel hub with paddles 🚣‍♂️ 1666301904033

With the propellers on the wheels, the direction of propulsion would be 90 degrees from driving propulsion but other than that, all the efficiency of the current drive system could be used. The current steering could be used. And with Tesla torque and 4 propellers, it could potentially travel surprisingly fast.

Of course on dry land, those propellers might be pretty dangerous so you would want to remove them.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Interesting design.

I can use paint too. Here is an idea I had:

1666301904033.png

With the propellers on the wheels, the direction of propulsion would be 90 degrees from driving propulsion but other than that, all the efficiency of the current drive system could be used. The current steering could be used. And with Tesla torque and 4 propellers, it could potentially travel surprisingly fast.

Of course on dry land, those propellers might be pretty dangerous so you would want to remove them.
Why not just have the propellers built into the wheel?

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Why not just have the propellers built into the wheel?
Much harder to draw... LOL

Plus it disables using them in "racing".

Honestly though it would be great if they could be in the wheels.

OP
OP

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
BAW is used as an oar to propel the CT through water. CT being a boat has been right in front of us this whole time!!
That would be too slow.

Some of us in the muscle car years (1965-1975) used to talk about cylinder cubic inches, quad barrel carburetors, headers, tuned exhaust, dual tail pipes, etc.

In future it will be Cybertruck Ludicrous/Cheetah/Plaid launch mode drag strip times or how many water skiers their Cybertruck with dual outboards electric 200kW pulled that afternoon.

OP
OP

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Much harder to draw... LOL

Plus it disables using them in "racing".

Honestly though it would be great if they could be in the wheels.

Propellers is that what they called them in the olden times?

Not sure they are called propellers these days. Probably ripper / shredder something (tire, side of car, etc). Some are build into the wheel and retractable safety when not needed.

Might be good at ripping but I think they would be very inefficient for water propulsion. Water jets or propellers at rear would be much better for propulsion.
Until be have 2x-5x better batteries, EVs, whether on land or water require high efficiency.

---------------------------------------

example of retractable version

Goldfinger DB5 Mustang Chase
Feb 28, 2018
MB's Garage

-----

Driving JAMES BOND'S Aston Martin DB5 with all the WORKING GADGETS!
Oct 12, 2020
Shmee150

This is James Bond's Aston Martin DB5, with all the real working gadgets! Aston Martin have let me get behind the wheel of the new DB5 Goldfinger Continuation which has been built to match the famous BMT 216A from the movies, loaded with features like the front machine guns, smoke screen, radar system and more. Let's check it out!

The DB5 is the definitive James Bond car, which will feature in No Time To Die, the 25th 007 movie and the 8th time the car will be appearing, this time alongside a trio of other Aston Martin models. The original car is of course a 1960s DB5 Saloon, of which 900 were built in total but the Goldfinger Continuation is in fact a brand new car! Built at Works in Newport Pagnell, the original Aston Martin factory, a total run of 25 identical Silver Birch models featuring the full array of Q's gadgets are coming.

The new cars are built in every way to mimic the originals, using the same materials, techniques, scanning of original parts, and even in the same halls. With the first car being a prototype, it is the only ever opportunity to drive one on the road as the production cars will not be road legal - given 1960s standards do not conform to modern regulations. It follows from the 25 DB4 GTs and 19 DB4 GT Zagatos that have been built as Continuation models, with 25 chosen to match the number of Bond films.

Kicking off at Stoke Park, home to some of the movie scenes, I'm on the road in the new-classic DB5 to head towards Aston Martin Works to then explore the gadgets in full. The features we can demo include the machine guns at the front, rotating number plates, battering rams, bullet proof screen, oil slicks, smoke, radar, ejector seat roof and more. These were all the ideas for Q back in the Goldfinger movie, now brought back into life for the customers of the new DB5 Goldfinger Continuation model.

------

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Let's view this from a different angle.

WhatIF it became common practice to use the CT as a boat.

WhatIF if it was easy to do. Maybe one day, ramps will be built on calm river banks so we can easily cross without having to drive all the way to a bridge.

Nothing to it... par for course.

New routes will open up , just for CT adventuring.

Boating mode may not be for the risktaker, it may be the new normal.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Props are more efficient. That's probably probably why boats that hit the water frequently use them. I picture a more compact motor/propeller that is up out of the slipstream of air when driving but can be lowered remotely to just below the receiver hitch for aquatic adventures.
Depends on speed. Jets have the advantage of being easier to tuck into a shape, and do vectoring with. Also they're less dangerous to nearby swimmers and rocks.

Anyhow, it's just an off-handed remark about the type of drive that could be hidden inboard.

-Crissa

OP
OP

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Let's view this from a different angle.

WhatIF it became common practice to use the CT as a boat.

WhatIF if it was easy to do. Maybe one day, ramps will be built on calm river banks so we can easily cross without having to drive all the way to a bridge.

Nothing to it... par for course.

New routes will open up , just for CT adventuring.

Boating mode may not be for the risktaker, it may be the new normal.

Not full boat mode but today there are already standard consumer vehicle models (SUVs, Jeeps, pickups) that off-roaders use to cross maximum 27"- 36" deep streams while doing their weekly/monthly off-roading trips.

We are pretty much to it being normal today.

------------------------------------

New DEFENDER 90 | 900mm Wading Depth & new Wade programme app within Terrain Response 2.
Apr 13, 2021
Land Rover South Africa

------

------------------------------------

2022 Ram 1500 TRX price and specs
.... Ram quotes 295mm of ground clearance, an 812mm water fording depth
By Alex Misoyannis
June 2022
https://www.drive.com.au/news/2022-ram-1500-trx-price-and-specs/

2022 Ford F-150 Raptor - Water Fording Depth - 32 in (81.0 cm)
https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...50-Raptor-Card-Version-1_RQ-EN-US_10_2021.pdf

Ford Everest midsize SUV able to wade waters as deep as 800mm.

Ford Ranger Raptor wading depth capacity goes up to 850mm

Ford Ranger too can wade up to 800mm.

Nissan Terra SUV 800mm wading depth

Mazda BT-50 pickup 800mm wading depth

Mitsubishi Montero Sport midsize SUV can wade up to 700mm

Nissan Navara can also wade up to 800mm

Nissan Patrol Royale 700mm water wading capacity.

Toyota Hilux able to wade up to 700mm of water

Toyota Fortuner has a water wading capacity of 700mm

Toyota Land Cruiser Prado able to wade 700mm of water

Toyota Land Cruiser can wade through water as deep as 700mm

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Lol

Can other street mainstream trucks traverse 5 meters of depth ?

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
No, but more importantly none will have a BAW :)
When crossing water, that will be a BAO.
The O is for oar.

In submarine mode, it might be the BAR.
The R is for rudder.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Tesla Cybertruck Elon says Cybertruck might have options for hitch mounted motor propeller or special wheel hub with paddles 🚣‍♂️ 1666327060135

I'm currently thinking a water jet impeller attached to a custom driveshaft end, on the wheel side, with ducting to expel water to the rear, and suck from the side. Like a common centrifugal pump. The outlet duct would be placed at the top of the wheel, and the air suspension can be used for trim, to keep it above the water line. Rear steering helps turn. Easy.

Tesla Cybertruck Elon says Cybertruck might have options for hitch mounted motor propeller or special wheel hub with paddles 🚣‍♂️ MX Suspension2.PNG

You then just use torque vectoring to steer in the water, and the ducting shrouds it for airflow onroad. Make the impeller small enough so that in air it barely pumps on road, or have a cap to block the intake. Technically though, having it pump air backwards is going to reduce the thrust required to propel the vehicle on road too, so might not be that bad efficiency wise. Probably still more efficient than a propeller wheel though and the existing driveshaft angles would remain. You could also do it on the gearbox side, but you'd loose the trim capability of the air suspension.