Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
By saying the CT is not for them (possibly EVER) you are essentially calling EM an Tesla bald face liars.
I don't believe it says anything of the sort.

Different vehicles have different capabilities. For every mile you want to add in range (assuming the advantages of the 4680) you need to add another two kilograms of weight and half a gallon of volume in battery. (These are very rough numbers)

That means if you're asking to double the Cybertruck's range, you're asking to fill the bed with 120 KWh of capacity ...which is the same as 1.5x the pack in the Model 3. Given the 50% advantage Tesla reports for the 4680s, that comes back down to the current dimensions of a Model 3 pack for stacking... and that's still another thousand pounds and a hundred gallons you need to stuff back there.

It's not insulting to say some things are better at different tasks. That's normal.

-Crissa
Sponsored

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
There are three possibilities here
1)You are talking about some other post
2)You didn't read the post
3)Your reading comprehension is incredibly low.

4)You have access to some pretty strong stuff to smoke.
EM would, of course, completely agree with me. He got where he is today by possessing, among other things, a good measure of common sense.

I really try my best to communicate with those in the lower quartiles but I am not always successful.

Now that last sentence is condescending. Now that you know what it means you might be able to use it better in your writing.
LOL. A perfect demonstration. Thank you.

Idaho_7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAM 3/4 ton
Country flag
Time to pass around that Tequila boys and girls. Allā€™s we are saying is give peace a chance.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I don't believe it says anything of the sort.

Different vehicles have different capabilities. For every mile you want to add in range (assuming the advantages of the 4680) you need to add another two kilograms of weight and half a gallon of volume in battery. (These are very rough numbers)

That means if you're asking to double the Cybertruck's range, you're asking to fill the bed with 120 KWh of capacity ...which is the same as 1.5x the pack in the Model 3. Given the 50% advantage Tesla reports for the 4680s, that comes back down to the current dimensions of a Model 3 pack for stacking... and that's still another thousand pounds and a hundred gallons you need to stuff back there.

It's not insulting to say some things are better at different tasks. That's normal.

-Crissa
I get your point. Iā€™m not arguing with the physics. Perfectly willing to accept the limitations inherent in this universe.

The posts Iā€™ve seen expressing range anxiety are essentially asking for one or more of the following:
  • More charging stations in relatively remote locations
  • Faster charging to make the extra charging needed while towing more acceptable
Neither case is a limitation of physics. Well, possibly the second one but itā€™s really more about learning what Teslaā€™s d solution for CT level charging will be.

Whatever the situation will be when the CT is finally ready, Iā€™m sure everyone can make their own decision as to if it fulfills their needs or if they are willing to make the necessary compromises.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The number of fast charging points will probably have doubled again between now and when we're looking at getting our trucks.

And as I pointed out, there are RV plugs nearly everywhere remote, so in a pinch there is capacity now.

-Crissa

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
1)The cars are getting better - they now go further between charges than they used to
2)The charging infrastructure is getting better. There are now more terminals than there used to be
3)Charging speed is getting faster. The newer terminals can deliver more power and the cars can take it
4)Service is getting better. More service centers are being built

The past I am speaking of is, in my experience, not even 2 years. There are still problems in all these areas but so also is the situation getting better in all of them.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
LOL
I tend to take offense when people who donā€™t know me try to prescribe what is an acceptable choice in my life. In my mind, and possibly only in my mind, the follow up post perfectly demonstrated the subtext I was reading in the first post.

But I can see why you might have taken my offense as a surprise.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If you really want to see the differences... Think about motorcycles. That's where this capacity problem is really attenuated.

You have to choose how much charger you want, a bike like mine has the maximum for Level 1, but a bike half its width has half the AC charging (or none at all). A bike like an Energica has three times the battery and twice the range and four times the charging... But it weighs almost twice as much.

An Energica can go a hundred iles on the freeway and quick charge. But touring gas bikes can go four to six that distance for about the same weight.

One thing is clearly better at going farther, faster. But that's just now. And the vast majority of riding isn't 200 mile sprints. Just like the vast majority of towing isn't the cannonball run.

-Crissa

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
The number of fast charging points will probably have doubled again between now and when we're looking at getting our trucks.

And as I pointed out, there are RV plugs nearly everywhere remote, so in a pinch there is capacity now.

-Crissa
Most RV parks are closed in winter in the states with snow.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I find your thoughts here to be incredibly offensive.

I totally get that most people will be buying a CT that will be used to tinker around town. That will use only like 25% of the capabilities of the CT.

But the people who are asking for more range are reporting that they want to use the CT for exactly the 2 big situations it is being marketed to. Out of all the use cases, the biggest WOW factors are for 14k lbs towing and the Baja 1000 off-roading capability. The people who are nervous about range are saying they want to go to remote locations or tow larger trailers.

By saying the CT is not for them (possibly EVER) you are essentially calling EM an Tesla bald face liars.

Far be it from us lowly buyers to want to actually use the CT for what itā€™s full capabilities are. Sure, there may be difficulties at first. Letā€™s talk through temporary work-arounds. But letā€™s keep the rabid condescension out of it.
I think that you are overreacting to his comments. He is simply being realistic. It will take hitting the tipping point for there to be chargers everywhere and, until then, we have to plan trips carefully. We even have to plan ICE trips carefully if we are driving at night. Many a time I have stared at my fuel gauge anxiously in the middle of the night, even on major highways. I am scratching my head wondering how you saw those comments negatively, or in any way referring to the functionality of the truck. And the comments about Tesla? Where are they coming from? Tesla has been very honest about the features and strengths (and weaknesses) of their vehicles and of this technology.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
That just means there's no one to ask. The power is very likely still on.

-Crissa
You seem very brave.

No way in hell would you catch me doing that.

Many people have been arrested for way less and some outright murdered.

Oh, and NOT just having to worry about the police. Plenty of other non-owners of the property seem to think they have police powers.