JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I don't think so. Trolling motors for bass boats run off 12v batteries. It won't need much power and we know the bed already has electrical plugs. There is no reason for a PTO.
The PTO is most definitely just a cable connection, not a mechanical output, as this would require a dedicated gearbox, clutch etc to operate. I think a 12V trolling motor won't do enough at all, better off having a turbine wheel design and deflector ducts on the inside of the wheel to produce thrust.
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I don't think so. Trolling motors for bass boats run off 12v batteries. It won't need much power and we know the bed already has electrical plugs. There is no reason for a PTO.
I donā€™t see a PTO happening, but someone might well want to move faster than a trolling motor can pull off.

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
I donā€™t see a PTO happening, but someone might well want to move faster than a trolling motor can pull off.
For sure. I don't see anyone seriously wanting the CT for regular water crossings. Maybe once at the lake to try it off/show it off... LOL... But, if someone were in a position where they lived on an island close enough and didn't want to have to switch to a boat all the time (grocery runs, bad weather, etc), I could see a remote deployable, phone controlled (or CT controlled) trolling motor set up where the rotor could be dropped down a bit from the receiver hitch. Even if it was fixed, you can get moving quite a bit using one. Well, in a bass boat, I can... The CT probably won't slip through the water quite as well. Now, I'm wondering if Tesla will make a plug and play downscanning sonar that displays on the main screen...

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
For sure. I don't see anyone seriously wanting the CT for regular water crossings. Maybe once at the lake to try it off/show it off... LOL... But, if someone were in a position where they lived on an island close enough and didn't want to have to switch to a boat all the time (grocery runs, bad weather, etc), I could see a remote deployable, phone controlled (or CT controlled) trolling motor set up where the rotor could be dropped down a bit from the receiver hitch. Even if it was fixed, you can get moving quite a bit using one. Well, in a bass boat, I can... The CT probably won't slip through the water quite as well. Now, I'm wondering if Tesla will make a plug and play downscanning sonar that displays on the main screen...
If you're hitting the water frequently, you'd want to stick something into the truck that didn't stick out too far, so like a jet propulsion system of some sort. Probably could fit that into the chassis behind the battery.

-Crissa

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Maybe they can pulse the external speaker and use the built in mics to do some range finding with a OTA update? šŸ˜Ž

OP
OP

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Water depth detection could enhance safety for stream fording off-roaders or even regular drivers that find themselves and family in flooded roadway situation.

Off-roaders who frequently ford supposedly shallow streams might have use for detecting water deep. Even regular on-road users that were in flooding situations could use water depth info. In both cases the driver might be intending to only drive through water with wheels remaining on the bottom/road but instead encounter deeper water ( NOT using boat mode flotation ). An inexpensive water depth detector mounted on front of vehicle could enhance safety by warning of deep sinkholes in stream, washed out sections in paved road in what appears as normal depth flooded area or other obstacles underwater that might prevent driving further.

-----------------------------------------

Handheld depth finders are extremely affordable and come with a lower price tag than fish finders. Some are priced at less than $100.

Fish Finder vs Depth Finder: Which Option is Better?
By Coty Perry Last Updated on June 15, 2022
https://yourbassguy.com/fish-finders/fish-finder-vs-depth-finder/

Determine Accurate Water Depth for Your Worksite with a Sonar Fish Finder
| Aqua-Barrier | Cofferdam | Construction | Dewatering |
Aqua-Barrier
Jan 18, 2017
https://aquabarrier.com/blog/uncate...h-for-your-worksite-with-a-sonar-fish-finder/

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
If you're hitting the water frequently, you'd want to stick something into the truck that didn't stick out too far, so like a jet propulsion system of some sort. Probably could fit that into the chassis behind the battery.

-Crissa
If it's a water jet with electric motor then you could probably fit it in or under the rear bumper. A jet ski one is only around 4-5" in diameter. It will need a steerable nozzle with reverse scoop. I'd expect around 5-10knots with about 20-30kW but it won't get on a plane unless you do this:

Tesla Cybertruck Elon says Cybertruck might have options for hitch mounted motor propeller or special wheel hub with paddles šŸš£ā€ā™‚ļø images (38)

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag

-Crissa
Props are more efficient. That's probably probably why boats that hit the water frequently use them. I picture a more compact motor/propeller that is up out of the slipstream of air when driving but can be lowered remotely to just below the receiver hitch for aquatic adventures.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Props are more efficient. That's probably probably why boats that hit the water frequently use them. I picture a more compact motor/propeller that is up out of the slipstream of air when driving but can be lowered remotely to just below the receiver hitch for aquatic adventures.
Water jets are over 60ŁŖ eff, the intake is flush, and the outlet should be just above the waterline. It also can't hit the bottom, and is much safer around people, and can be used without issue in shallow water or to help push you up the beach.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Iā€™d normally agree, but Isnā€™t this whole thread tilting at that particular windmill?

If you just wanted it for the occasional Creek fording or emergencies, you could just use the inefficient wheel spinning to get across.

People are talking about permanent mounts. You donā€™t need any of this to strap a trolling motor to the tailgate

Last edited:

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
Iā€™d normally agree, but Isnā€™t this whole thread tilting at that particular windmill?

If you just wanted it for the occasional Creek fording or emergencies, you could just use the inefficient wheel spinning to get across.

People are talking about permanent mounts. You donā€™t need any of this to strao a trolling motor to the tailgate
I agree. The utility is probably more with flooded streets than fishing.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Anyone want to do a meet up at lake Erie to invade Canada by water?
I would not want to drive a ā€œSometimes Boatā€ on a big body of water like that. The waves get a lot bigger on the big lakes. Youā€™d likely have swells washing over the windshield with moderate winds. I guess that would put the BAW to work.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
BAW is used as an oar to propel the CT through water. CT being a boat has been right in front of us this whole time!!
Sponsored