Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck
Occupation
CNA
Country flag
Everyone knows that, that's basic. What is concerning to many, is the removal of the ability to speak. It is one thing to say using freedom of speech to commit crimes should be punished. It's also one thing to say using freedom of speech to say mean or awful things makes me dislike you, or not want to do business with you. It's another to say I don't like what you say, so you will no longer be able to say it. This is new territory, and it's exceedingly dangerous.

Mark Zuckerberg is on record of saying that he envisioned FB as evolving into more of a utility, like the phone company. Increasingly, we use it as a communications platform, perhaps even our primary communications platform. If it is to be such a platform, like our phone line or our mail service or our internet access, it needs to be unbiased. If I use my phone to hire a hitman to kill someone, I should be charged. If I use it to discuss things that are not illegal - no matter how unpleasant - I'm still allowed to use my phone. My speech is not regulated.

The big example of this topic is, of course, the recent banning of Trump from Twitter, FB, Insta, Youtube, App and Google stores, etc. By all accounts he hasn't done anything illegal - though that's up for debate - but he's been silenced. These are private companies, they're allowed to do that. But should they be able to? Perhaps it's time for communications laws to be updated with the time, and FB, etc, should not be allowed to regulate such content much like ATT can't listen in on your calls and turn off your phone if it doesn't like what you say. As Elon recently tweeted, "A lot of people are going to be super unhappy with West Coast high tech being the de facto arbiter of free speech."

What's weird to me is that the idea of free speech has become a "right" value in recent years. I've always thought of freedom from the norm as being a "left" trait, whether it was freedom to be gay, freedom to use profane language, freedom to dance... whatever it may be, it was traditionally "right" people that wanted conformity. Now, in the last 10 years I've observed a startling shift where "left" people are increasingly looking to shut up dissenting opinions, "cancel" them, etc. As a moderate, it increasingly weighs in my opinions. I think you're seeing it in a lot of similar thinkers, Elon being one of them. They may not agree with "right" ideals, but agree with the right to have them.
Thank you so much for speaking up. I am glad to hear you say these things.
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Elon has been burnt by all the Democrats who ...
None of this is true. Nothing has been 'done to Elon'.

Learning that you have to pay for public services and live with other people in the world is something we all should learn.

-Crissa

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Elon has been burnt by all the Democrats who want to tax most companies crazy crazy amounts forever and ever look at what the Democratic governors in California have done to him and his business. he knows that there is a better way of governance and he knows that the Democratic party isn't the way he wants to go other than that I don't know that he has chosen leaders he likes. there aren't a lot of good leaders to choose from in this country I can tell you that much
Let's say you are right that Elon moved due to taxes.... I don't think so but maybe... that would be due to Trump 2017 tax change that capped the deduction you could claim for taxes paid ito the state. Yeah Trump isn't a Democrat so that means it was really a republican that increased his tax to the point he moved.

Jimo

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TESLA Model X, 2003 Thunderbird, 2016 Nissan NV 3500
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I know bringing the EV credits back is part of the new admins plans. However, knowing how Elon is a big GOP supporter (which makes NO sense considering their stance on climate change and love of big oil) I can see their being some blowback.
Thanks for injecting your political beliefs, which certainly added an immeasurable amount of credibility to your statement! (By the way, it's "there")

Thron1

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW535D, Infinity FX35, Ram1500 5.9
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
You have to remember that most democratic leaders are a millionaires and they support the billionaires because they want their money honestly Democratic leaders never care about the little guys they just give them the service and then screw them over in the end

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thanks for injecting your political beliefs, which certainly added an immeasurable amount of credibility to your statement! (By the way, it's "there")
wrong...."their" is referring to the "GOP supporter"........"there" refers to a place: over there by the lake or I put the book over there

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
wrong...."their" is referring to the "GOP supporter"........"there" refers to a place: over there by the lake or I put the book over there
There are 2 their there. He was probably referring to the their with noun blowback.
What i don't get is why people think Elon is a Republican supporter. He has made several statements that he is an independent and that he supports political people of different parties. Anyone can easily look this up. Google is free.
https://www.opensecrets.org/donor-lookup/results?name=elon+musk&order=desc&sort=D

Last edited:

Jimo

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
"...their being some blowback" is what I was correcting. What do you think, professor?

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
"...their being some blowback" is what I was correcting. What do you think, professor?
English is tough....aint it......see you from La....the other La.....I was stationed at Belle Chase (Marine Corps) for 6 years......I still dont understand half of what they say....its not the English but when they mix in Cajun.....I love the people "there" and the food....always went to get coffee and pastry in the quarter every Saturday

Jimo

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
English is tough....aint it......see you from La....the other La.....I was stationed at Belle Chase (Marine Corps) for 6 years......I still dont understand half of what they say....its not the English but when they mix in Cajun.....I love the people "there" and the food....always went to get coffee and pastry in the quarter every Saturday
I'm originally from Ohio. 41 years ago I married a girl from here... and I'm still try to learn the language!

Ryan95738

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck
Occupation
CNA
Country flag
Let's say you are right that Elon moved due to taxes.... I don't think so but maybe... that would be due to Trump 2017 tax change that capped the deduction you could claim for taxes paid ito the state. Yeah Trump isn't a Democrat so that means it was really a republican that increased his tax to the point he moved.
I can agree to that. Let me remember the majority of the taxes that are paid are employee taxes because corporations have to pay those too so having more employees in Texas lowers the amount of taxes the company pays and thus increases the share price which increases his income

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
I can agree to that. Let me remember the majority of the taxes that are paid are employee taxes because corporations have to pay those too so having more employees in Texas lowers the amount of taxes the company pays and thus increases the share price which increases his income
Are there state employee taxes? I think those are all federal so I don't think there would be a benefit from that perspective.

DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
Are there state employee taxes? I think those are all federal so I don't think there would be a benefit from that perspective.
SALT (State and local taxes) are paid where the employee's wages are earned. Professional sports players have to pay different state taxes depending on *where they play each game and earn their wages*. So GigaTexas employees earn wages there and R&D Palo Alto and Fremont earn their wages in state, that's how the taxes are calculated. Federal taxes are federal like you said, independent.

Musk's issue is capital gains not income related. Residence for tax purposes is about number of days you stay in the state (typically). He can say that California this and that - which may even be true - but if he's going to spend his life doing SpaceX in Texas and GigaTexas then that's where he'll be. My hot take is that he's making hay, something he's very good at.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Musk is fleeing California for the same reason so many other businesses and people are. California has an extremely high cost of living and is very unfriendly to business relative to Texas.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.