Even Higher Beams

mrbulk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S75D
Country flag
Just ordered the CyBeast and realized it comes standard with the overhead light bar. If it really does throw light 525 yards into the distance then I can imagine how much better a long nighttime drive on a deserted road would be.

And you know how sometimes people flash you because of the excellently bright Tesla headlights? Just wait'll you flash'em back with that 500-yard light bar. :cool:
Sponsored

BigAl

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Just ordered the CyBeast and realized it comes standard with the overhead light bar. If it really does throw light 525 yards into the distance then I can imagine how much better a long nighttime drive on a deserted road would be.

And you know how sometimes people flash you because of the excellently bright Tesla headlights? Just wait'll you flash'em back with that 500-yard light bar. :cool:
Only works in off-road modeā€¦ so unless you are driving on the road in off-road modeā€¦

OP
OP
mrbulk

mrbulk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S75D
Country flag
Dang it. Hey, maybe it could be made to work in a subsequent software update. You never know - and I remain hopeful. šŸ˜œ

Wraven

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Foundations CyberBeast, M3P, MYP
Country flag

I do hope that it has the kind of throw that Tesla claims...

On the other hand, blinding a driver operating a vehicle traveling a few degree's off of directly at you seems like a head on collision waiting to happen.

CyberOwl

First Name
Ace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Foundation Series AWD, Model 3 RWD, Nissan Leaf
Occupation
Foul Owl
Country flag
No one is talking about the fact that itā€™s a laser beam!

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
No one is talking about the fact that itā€™s a laser beam!
in pretty sure this is not a laser light bar

Iā€™ve heard a few Tesla folks utter that word the last couple of weeks

but some problems with this:

(1) the Tesla bar is made by Hella, and Iā€™m not familiar with Hella having a laser bar product

(2) laser pods donā€™t look like the CT bar units, which look like standard LED pods

(3) Iā€™m not familiar with any laser light bar that has the small form factor like the CT bar (the one shared below is 3ā€ tall by 5ā€ deep)

(4) maybe the biggest. for companies that do sell laser light bars, a 50ā€ bar will run you on the order of $9,000

I donā€™t see Tesla, Hella, or anyone else basically figuring out how to reduce the form factor of a laser light bar, then not only not charge more for that advancement, but in fact charge a fraction of the price

unless maybe itā€™s dumbed down ā€œlaserā€ in name only, in which case who really cares and youā€™re just getting what youā€™re paying for

Tesla Cybertruck Even Higher Beams 6223414F-3FED-495A-A156-B5F6FF3C2A1D

CyberOwl

First Name
Ace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Foundation Series AWD, Model 3 RWD, Nissan Leaf
Occupation
Foul Owl
Country flag
in pretty sure this is not a laser light bar

Iā€™ve heard a few Tesla folks utter that word the last couple of weeks

but some problems with this:

(1) the Tesla bar is made by Hella, and Iā€™m not familiar with Hella having a laser bar product

(2) laser pods donā€™t look like the CT bar units, which look like standard LED pods

(3) Iā€™m not familiar with any laser light bar that has the small form factor like the CT bar (the one shared below is 3ā€ tall by 5ā€ deep)

(4) maybe the biggest. for companies that do sell laser light bars, a 50ā€ bar will run you on the order of $9,000

I donā€™t see Tesla, Hella, or anyone else basically figuring out how to reduce the form factor of a laser light bar, then not only not charge more for that advancement, but in fact charge a fraction of the price

unless maybe itā€™s dumbed down ā€œlaserā€ in name only, in which case who really cares and youā€™re just getting what youā€™re paying for

6223414F-3FED-495A-A156-B5F6FF3C2A1D.jpeg
Maybe. Iā€™m just going with what Franz said to Lars during the Jay Leno video. Iā€™d love to see a teardown. Could the whole thing be a huge lens/mirror array?

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Maybe. Iā€™m just going with what Franz said to Lars during the Jay Leno video.
yes, thatā€™s where Iā€™ve recently heard the reference, too. Possible these just arenā€™t people seeped in the technicalities and who have gotten used to calling it a laser light bar not appreciating thatā€™s a specific product that is different and widespread (at least in the offroad racing world)

Could the whole thing be a huge lens/mirror array?
well itā€™s not that huge, and yes basically any light bar is an array of lense/mirror

Tesla Cybertruck Even Higher Beams D6EC399D-500E-46E6-811E-0548F4327F99
Tesla Cybertruck Even Higher Beams A5CB82F2-F985-4448-A8D9-D9E3B8B6EF0C

which, since itā€™s made by Hella, to me just looks like a modified version of Hellā€™s slim black magic bar

Tesla Cybertruck Even Higher Beams 40DE0073-346F-4417-9532-C0F229358172

contrast either of those with a substantive laser light bar

msl0727

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Model LR RWD FSD, '23 Cybertruck Tri-Motor FSD
Country flag

I think using your light bars on public roads is illegal and may yield a citation if a cop saw.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
yes, thatā€™s where Iā€™ve recently heard the reference, too. Possible these just arenā€™t people seeped in the technicalities and who have gotten used to calling it a laser light bar not appreciating thatā€™s a specific product that is different and widespread (at least in the offroad racing world)

well itā€™s not that huge, and yes basically any light bar is an array of lense/mirror

D6EC399D-500E-46E6-811E-0548F4327F99.png
A5CB82F2-F985-4448-A8D9-D9E3B8B6EF0C.jpeg

which, since itā€™s made by Hella, to me just looks like a modified version of Hellā€™s slim black magic bar

40DE0073-346F-4417-9532-C0F229358172.jpeg

contrast either of those with a substantive laser light bar
These are top/bottom firing LED light bars. I have a 42" that does the same.

The reason it is so compact is because the LEDs are mounted to one side of the aluminium case for cooling, and then the light is reflected 90degrees through the lens like a periscope, which gives it a longer focal length than can be achieved when straight.

OP
OP
mrbulk

mrbulk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S75D
Country flag
So I read somewhere here that the light bar is going to be made by Hella? :cool::cool::cool:

Coolbreeze704

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y, 23 Lightning, CyberTruck (someday)
Occupation
GM Manufactured Homes
Country flag
So I read somewhere here that the light bar is going to be made by Hella? :cool::cool::cool:
So like post #7 just above?

or was this sarcasm and i totally missed it?

If so, nothing to see here. Move on.
Sponsored