Fan

First Name
Shahana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3, model y and Cybertruck
Country flag
I am in CA. I have a 2018 M3 silver with FSD, 55k miles, and paid off. And I have a 2023 MY, red, white interior, 7 seater with FSD and 9500 miles. MY’s remaining loan balance is 65k.

Tesla’s trade in offer for MY is only 40k and for M3 is 20k. I want to trade in one of these cars to buy the Cybertruck foundation. What do you guys think is financially the better to trade in for CT?
Sponsored

awhehackeur

First Name
Whehack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mitsubishi Outlander Sport ES
Occupation
AS Engineer
Country flag
Whut!!! 2023 FSD MY is only worth $40K to Tesla after only 9,500 miles, Yike!

Given FSD alone is worth $10K, so your 2023 MY is actually worth only $30K now. Sound like a raw deal to me. I wonder if FSD is transferable to your new CT or new owner of your MY.

Have you tried to explore your options at either AutoNation or CarMax dealers? I know it's such a big hassle to deal with auto salesman. IMO, your MY is kinda undervalued by Tesla rep.

I am also CT holder in line, but my RN is way too far. It may take up to 3 yrs for my turn. I am so itchy with the Tesla $1,000 discount and wide-opened eyes on MY Performance.

Rozonoe

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla M3 LR75, Cybertruck Dual FSD
Occupation
Real Estate
Country flag
Whut!!! 2023 FSD MY is only worth $40K to Tesla after only 9,500 miles, Yike!

Given FSD alone is worth $10K, so your 2023 MY is actually worth only $30K now. Sound like a raw deal to me. I wonder if FSD is transferable to your new CT or new owner of your MY.

Have you tried to explore your options at either AutoNation or CarMax dealers? I know it's such a big hassle to deal with auto salesman. IMO, your MY is kinda undervalued by Tesla rep.

I am also CT holder in line, but my RN is way too far. It may take up to 3 yrs for my turn. I am so itchy with the Tesla $1,000 discount and wide-opened eyes on MY Performance.
This why I didn't buy FSD cause it is worth nothing on a trade-in & Tesla won't let you transfer the FSD to a new vehicle. To keep Brand loyalty, Tesla should let the original owners who bought FSD or got Lifetime Supercharger or Lifetime premium internet connection, should be able to transfer to a new Tesla & remove the perk or software from my old Tesla. I would be willing to pay a small fee for the transfer. My 2 cents.

OP
OP

Fan

First Name
Shahana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yeah, value is way down :(
Kbb and caravana quoted 39k.
No, I don’t think we can transfer FSD. CT foundation series comes with the FSD.

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Country flag
This why I didn't buy FSD cause it is worth nothing on a trade-in & Tesla won't let you transfer the FSD to a new vehicle. To keep Brand loyalty, Tesla should let the original owners who bought FSD or got Lifetime Supercharger or Lifetime premium internet connection, should be able to transfer to a new Tesla & remove the perk or software from my old Tesla. I would be willing to pay a small fee for the transfer. My 2 cents.
I don't understand the logic behind this. FSD should stick with the original vehicle.

George Costanza

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X Plaid, Rivian R1S
Occupation
Latex Salesman, Vandelay Industries
I am sorry to say that, based on my experience, those are actually not too bad by Tesla's lowballing standards. This is one of those rare occasions when Tesla is actually honest about what FSD is truly worth: Z-E-R-O. Or maybe it's because FSD is just a "software switch" to Tesla which they can turn OFF or ON to suit their needs when reselling the car to the next buyer.

Despite my personal negative experiences with the company during every purchase process over the years, I keep coming back because the cars are simply a blast to drive [and sometimes a blast to stop in the middle of the road to avoid running into a distant tree shadow at dusk...yes, I have had FSD on my MXP] which makes me almost overlook the buying experience.

All the best. Sorry, I didn't actually answer your question because if I were in your shoes I would just pick one and know that I made the wrong decision.

Last edited:

Celiboy

First Name
Marcel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3, 2022 Model Y, 2024 AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
Family Nurse Practitioner, Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
Country flag
I am in CA. I have a 2018 M3 silver with FSD, 55k miles, and paid off. And I have a 2023 MY, red, white interior, 7 seater with FSD and 9500 miles. MY’s remaining loan balance is 65k.

Tesla’s trade in offer for MY is only 40k and for M3 is 20k. I want to trade in one of these cars to buy the Cybertruck foundation. What do you guys think is financially the better to trade in for CT?
I too have a 2018 M3 that’s paid off to trade in. Unless you can get $65K for your MY, you don’t really have Albany options. You can either take 20K off the price of the Foundation trading in the M3 or add 20K to the new loan with the MY. Or am I missing something?

Reactions: Fan

Regenshire

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 RWD LR, Model Y Perf, CyberTruck AWD Order
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I would trade in the Model 3. That is obviously the way to go since you owe so much on your Model Y.

As to the Trade in Value of the Model Y, that sounds about right considering you can buy a New Model Y Long Range with White Interior, Tow Hitch, and a Color for around 47 to 48k if you select an inventory car right now.

I even seen some performance Model Ys listed under 50k for inventory models recently.

SolarWizard

First Name
MB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3.0L JT // Quad CT
Occupation
solar, DCFC & battery biz owner
Country flag
If you’re debating rolling $25k negative equity into a new loan on a $120k truck you really really need to figure out if buying one is right for you. Id strongly suggest waiting a couple years to see if the trucks pricing comes down

Reactions: REM

Alpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If you’re debating rolling $25k negative equity into a new loan on a $120k truck you really really need to figure out if buying one is right for you. Id strongly suggest waiting a couple years to see if the trucks pricing comes down
This. Between the 2 choices, model 3 is a no brainer unless you just want to cut your losses and start new at -140k

OP
OP

Fan

First Name
Shahana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes, thanks for all the replies. I was thinking of MY because there will be a single loan of around $2000 with $10k down. Current MY loan is $1225

If I trade in M3, then there will be 2 loans approximately $2400 for MY and CT.

Celiboy

First Name
Marcel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3, 2022 Model Y, 2024 AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
Family Nurse Practitioner, Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
Country flag
Yes, thanks for all the replies. I was thinking of MY because there will be a single loan of around $2000 with $10k down. Current MY loan is $1225

That’s a tough one. Good luck.

Last edited:

Art138

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP,Ferrari Pista,Ford GT & CYBERBEAST ordered
Country flag

You also need to consider insurance for the CT. Prevailing insurance costs will be dictated by location I presume.

OP
OP

Fan

First Name
Shahana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Carmax didn’t give online offer, asked to schedule an appointment to get the offer
Sponsored