firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
---------------------------

Ford F150 Lightning Assembly Line Tour with Sandy Munro
12 Minutes with Miss GoElectric and Sandy Munro of @Munro Live as they explore the Ford F150 Lightning assembly line at the Rouge Electric Vehicle Center in Dearborn, Michigan. This is an extended edit intended for those in the automotive industry and mechanically-minded curious fans of engineering.
May 15, 2022
Miss GoElectric

------

Ford F150 Lightning Manufacturing fly through analyzed by Joe Justice Bottom Line: a fantastic truck by today's standards that will be expensive and slow to improve. Pros: Massive battery module with room for growth. Pros: Automated testing at all critical interfaces. Cons: fundamentally less efficient body-on-frame versus exoskeleton or even unibody. Cons: No innovation visible on the line (No visible DSM, design-on-line, agile lines (branching parallel prototype lines). Cons: Linear line (expensive to innovate).
2022 May 16
Joe Justice

-----

Sponsored

Cybertruck Hawaii

Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have no doubt that the Ford Lightning is perform well. The real test is the quality of the service department.

OP
OP

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
I have no doubt that the Ford Lightning is perform well. The real test is the quality of the service department.
If that is the real test it is doomed.

Ford does not control the service dept.

The service dept is run by the dealers who did not want EVs and who's service dept make 99.9999999% of it's profit from ICE.

Just look at how many dealers add huge markups to EVs.

Ford Lightning customers better hope the Ford Lightning is highly reliable and never needs service (even in warranty service could be painful).

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
I viewed the video. A lot of manual assembly going on. I didn’t see a lot of robots.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
For what it's worth, I never had problems getting service on my 2009 Ford Escape Hybrid from my local Ford dealer. Granted, I never had any issues with anything on the electric part of the hybrid. Actually, other than oil changes, I never had issues with the gas part either. Had issues with 4 wheel drive failing (warranty), AC condenser failing (twice, once under warranty, once not), Computer chip failed in a way that drained my 12V battery (warranty). Otherwise typical maintenance stuff like brakes, tires etc.

Cybertruck Hawaii

Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
😍Dealerships have to realize that car buying experience actually begins after the sales department and into the service department phase which will last for the remaining ownership of the vehicle.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
😍Dealerships have to realize that car buying experience actually begins after the sales department and into the service department phase which will last for the remaining ownership of the vehicle.
Oh they under$tand very well that $ale$ and $ervice goe$ hand in hand.

Cybertruck Hawaii

Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If that is the real test it is doomed.

Ford does not control the service dept.

The service dept is run by the dealers who did not want EVs and who's service dept make 99.9999999% of it's profit from ICE.

Just look at how many dealers add huge markups to EVs.

Ford Lightning customers better hope the Ford Lightning is highly reliable and never needs service (even in warranty service could be painful).
✌The less a dealership has to do warranty work, the more profit it can hold on to from the purchase of a new vehicle that was paid in full at the new car sales.

Cybertruck Hawaii

Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Oh they under$tand very well that $ale$ and $ervice goe$ hand in hand.
. 👍🏻Dealerships have to understand that we consumers also know that fact about the car buying process.

Cybertruck Hawaii

Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
They know. This is why they lobby so hard to maintain their monopoly.
. 👏🏻. Rule number one is that you can’t beat the system. The customer will always prevail at the end.
Sponsored