Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired physician
Country flag
(Quote taken out of context)

oh no, fool me three times, shame on you. Are your bags made of carpet?
Which bags might those be?
Sponsored

Red61224

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yugo
Country flag
Relax tiger squirrel. I don't have a problem if you want to eat animals. I was just trying to help @drscot with what sounds like a serious condition.
If you fall asleep after eating that 2 inch marbled dead cow and crash and die, don't worry... you will be reborn. #karma
On a lighter note: I "rarely" consume steak but recently did have the opportunity to imbibe a nice fresh hand-cut specimen. It is true what the rumors say, it shut down the onboard processing plant for two days. Was it worth it, not sure. Much mystery as to when the plant would gear back up for normal operations and much $$$.

Red61224

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yugo
Country flag
If you have FSD on (or autopilot), the vehicle will stop safely. Not necessarily pulling over, but it will safely stop and put your hazard lights on.

If you do not have FSD on, your will likely drift off the edge of the road and hit a guard rail. Traffic Aware Cruise might help you here.

If you are on a long drive I suggest using FSD or Autopilot whenever possible. It's a more enjoyable way to drive regardless.

Like so:

When I was younger I had a few minor incidents similar to yours. Never an accident, but one or two incidents which scared the bejesus out of me and caused me to change how I think about longer trips and be alert for early signs of fatigue and quit driving at the first sign.

It's been well over a decade since I've had an issue, but it still concerns me and now that I have a Model Y I use Autopilot as much as possible.
I follow the 2-hour rule, every two hours it's time to take a break and walk for 10 minutes, potty break, food, whatever just get out and move.

drscot

Banned
Banned
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired physician
Country flag
Thanks. Same here, but I don't stop on a schedule. I take my medication and stop as needed.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Which bags might those be?
carpetbaggers selling snake oil as cure all medicine that doubles as shoe shine.

They we’re done artists too who went south dusing reconstruction. My reference was only regarding quackery medicine.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
If you have FSD on (or autopilot), the vehicle will stop safely. Not necessarily pulling over, but it will safely stop and put your hazard lights on.

If you do not have FSD on, your will likely drift off the edge of the road and hit a guard rail. Traffic Aware Cruise might help you here.

If you are on a long drive I suggest using FSD or Autopilot whenever possible. It's a more enjoyable way to drive regardless.

Like so:

When I was younger I had a few minor incidents similar to yours. Never an accident, but one or two incidents which scared the bejesus out of me and caused me to change how I think about longer trips and be alert for early signs of fatigue and quit driving at the first sign.

It's been well over a decade since I've had an issue, but it still concerns me and now that I have a Model Y I use Autopilot as much as possible.
I have two issues with the vid.

1. The person shooting the video did not honk his horn to try and wake the driver.
2. The guy did not wake when others were smacking the driver window after the car came to a (safe) stop. Did the driver die?

It was cool to see hazard lights turn on when the car stopped.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I have two issues with the vid.

1. The person shooting the video did not honk his horn to try and wake the driver.
2. The guy did not wake when others were smacking the driver window after the car came to a (safe) stop. Did the driver die?

It was cool to see hazard lights turn on when the car stopped.
I don't think the other car honking would have made a difference. Later in the video it was pretty difficult to wake him and there were other cars honking which didn't phase the driver. Also, if you don't interact for a while, the car makes increasingly annoying alerts. I've tested it and it's pretty jarring. (I didn't get to the point where the car disabled and stopped itself.)

I'm not super excited about the car stopping in the middle of the lane, but I'm not sure what a safer failure mode would be with the current state of Autopilot/ FSD. Seems like the version 10 FSD software should be able to do something safer, hopefully the failure mode is better than this even if you just have autopilot.

Also, if the car goes so far as to disable and stop he vehicle, maybe it should also alert someone? It's likely there is some kind of issue with the driver at this point, either the driver is passed out like this guy, or perhaps some kind of medical emergency. Either way I'd think emergency services should be alerted.

Red61224

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yugo
Country flag
Thanks. Same here, but I don't stop on a schedule. I take my medication and stop as needed.
I, personally have discovered sometimes I am my own worst enemy while driving long distances (4+ hours) if I don't set up a hard "do not exceed" time limit I may tend to push it till I am no more fun and in my case, a 2-hour hard rule helps me to be alert and the world needs more Lerts.
Kind of like drinking water to stave off dehydration, if you only drink water when you feel thirsty you are already below the minimums, and functions are degraded.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Tesla saved this person property damaged and may have save significant personal injury. A definite win
More important potentially saved someone innocent of stupidity from injury, loss, or death.

I’m ok with stupid people hurting themselves.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Tesla Autopilot vindicated by event data in highly publicized fatal crash ‘with no one at the wheel’

Fred Lambert - Oct. 21st 2021 12:45 pm PT

Tesla Cybertruck Fiery deaths? 1634866350114

Tesla Autopilot has been vindicated by its event data recorder in a highly publicized fatal crash that was reported as having “no one at the wheel.”

Earlier this year, a strange and tragic accident in a Tesla happened in Spring, Texas.

A Tesla Model S missed a turn, hit a tree, and caught on fire, killing the two passengers.

The strange thing was that the police said they don’t think anyone was in the driver seat as someone was found on the front passenger seat and another in the back seat.

Further, a family member of the Tesla owner said that he jumped in the back seat when starting the drive.

As we noted, the local media presented the accident as being an autonomous vehicle crash, but Tesla doesn’t have any autonomous vehicles on the road right now – only vehicles with driver-assist features and the FSD Beta, which is also considered level 2 driver assist.

Either way, the Autopilot was blamed in the media and both the NTSB and NHTSA launched investigations into the accidents.

Today, the NTSB released an update to its investigation based on the Event Data Recorder (EDR).

The agency reported that the EDR data points to the driver actually being in the driver seat at the moment of the crash and pressing the accelerator pedal:

With the assistance of the EDR module manufacturer, the NTSB Recorders Laboratory repaired and downloaded the fire-damaged EDR. Data from the module indicate that both the driver and the passenger seats were occupied, and that the seat belts were buckled when the EDR recorded the crash. The data also indicate that the driver was applying the accelerator in the time leading up to the crash; application of the accelerator pedal was found to be as high as 98.8%. The highest speed recorded by the EDR in the 5 seconds leading up to the crash was 67 mph.
This contradicts the reports that no one was in the driver’s seat.

Furthermore, previously released postmortem toxicology showed that the driver had alcohol levels above the Texas limit.

Electrek’s Take
The accident remains tragic nonetheless, but it does serve as a good example that it’s better not to jump to conclusions about crashes involving Tesla vehicles, especially when it comes to blaming Autopilot.

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
Tesla Autopilot vindicated by event data in highly publicized fatal crash ‘with no one at the wheel’

Fred Lambert - Oct. 21st 2021 12:45 pm PT

1634866350114.png

Tesla Autopilot has been vindicated by its event data recorder in a highly publicized fatal crash that was reported as having “no one at the wheel.”

Earlier this year, a strange and tragic accident in a Tesla happened in Spring, Texas.

A Tesla Model S missed a turn, hit a tree, and caught on fire, killing the two passengers.

The strange thing was that the police said they don’t think anyone was in the driver seat as someone was found on the front passenger seat and another in the back seat.

Further, a family member of the Tesla owner said that he jumped in the back seat when starting the drive.

As we noted, the local media presented the accident as being an autonomous vehicle crash, but Tesla doesn’t have any autonomous vehicles on the road right now – only vehicles with driver-assist features and the FSD Beta, which is also considered level 2 driver assist.

Either way, the Autopilot was blamed in the media and both the NTSB and NHTSA launched investigations into the accidents.

Today, the NTSB released an update to its investigation based on the Event Data Recorder (EDR).

The agency reported that the EDR data points to the driver actually being in the driver seat at the moment of the crash and pressing the accelerator pedal:

This contradicts the reports that no one was in the driver’s seat.

Furthermore, previously released postmortem toxicology showed that the driver had alcohol levels above the Texas limit.

Electrek’s Take
The accident remains tragic nonetheless, but it does serve as a good example that it’s better not to jump to conclusions about crashes involving Tesla vehicles, especially when it comes to blaming Autopilot.
Hey now.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
There goes my alien abduction theory. Or does it? Why won't anyone talk about how Tesla is abducting aliens?
Sponsored