Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired physician
Country flag
Amen to this!!! I preach all the time that it's ridiculous not to lock in the FSD price now before production, even if you are 100% sure now that you won't want it. Do people think the price will go down or something? Opinions change all the time, there's always a possibility that you'll want FSD by the time you get your CT. If you didn't lock in your price now, you'll instantly feel regret as the price will be harder to justify in the event that you decide to get it.

Imagine if Elon came to you 15 years ago and said "I'm taking Tesla public and will agree to sell you stock at $20/share, give you the option to bail out of the deal if you'd like by the time we go public, and it won't cost you anything to lock in the price now." Would you really pass up a free guaranteed price with no obligation?
I ordered mine way back when it was 7k. Don't mess with the reservation I understand because you lose your better pricing. It is considered a new order if you do.
Sponsored

drscot

Banned
Banned
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired physician
Country flag
i dont believe that's true.... take a look at this crowd sourced document of MY owners, scroll to the bottom
Think: if there is a #1 and a #500,000 in Hawaii or Alaska, do you think they are going to make two deliveries based on "first in line"? Guarantee you #700,000 in San Antonio is going to see theirs long before #1 in Alaska or Hawaii. I saw this on one of the groupie youtube programs, and they are generally correct, but whatever. I'll keep my #70,000 in Arkansas and see how it falls out.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Think: if there is a #1 and a #500,000 in Hawaii or Alaska, do you think they are going to make two deliveries based on "first in line"? Guarantee you #700,000 in San Antonio is going to see theirs long before #1 in Alaska or Hawaii. I saw this on one of the groupie youtube programs, and they are generally correct, but whatever. I'll keep my #70,000 in Arkansas and see how it falls out.
Well, they don't sent cars to Alaska or Hawaii on trucks, so... I don't think that means what you think it means. They get stacked onto a ferry piecemeal, so they'll get theirs with a shipment to California or Washington.

You're right that some people are going to get to jump in line because another buyer earlier in the queue is getting shipped, and they want to fill up a truck.

But would it be someone at order 500,000 with #1? The odds say probably not.

-Crissa

CyberDingo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck dual engine
Occupation
Farmer
Country flag
WELL!!!
I guess being on the other side of the world (Australia), I maybe expecting after I have died of old age!
Lucky my Subi is going well.

drscot

Banned
Banned
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired physician
Country flag
Well, they don't sent cars to Alaska or Hawaii on trucks, so... I don't think that means what you think it means. They get stacked onto a ferry piecemeal, so they'll get theirs with a shipment to California or Washington.

You're right that some people are going to get to jump in line because another buyer earlier in the queue is getting shipped, and they want to fill up a truck.

But would it be someone at order 500,000 with #1? The odds say probably not.

-Crissa
My example was not to be taken literally. It was simply a "for example" offering with extremes to make the point.

madquadbiker

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Navara NP300, Honda e, Honda TRX700XX
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
WELL!!!
I guess being on the other side of the world (Australia), I maybe expecting after I have died of old age!
Lucky my Subi is going well.
I just want to know if we will be allowed to have one legally or if it’s got to be a personal import, surely they will be making a right hand drive version?. No point having a reservation if Tesla will not honour it.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No point having a reservation if Tesla will not honour it.
No point in them honoring it if you're going to cancel it.

You see this is a chicken and egg problem, right? The reservations prove demand. Proven demand can be gauged against the cost of developing a homologated product.

-Crissa

Ratso

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
75 Monte carlo, 74 K5 Blazer, 85 Chevy van, 89 Pontiac 6000, 2000 Jeep Wrangler, 2008 Chevy Silverado, and my last car will be Cybertruck tried motor.
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
So if Tesla delivers the 1st CT in the first week of December 2021, and produces 250,000 a year, and my number in line is 231,069 i can expect my CT Tri the first week of Dec 2022(ish)... long wait but will definitely have cash in hand... Kinda a bitter sweet moment for me.

madquadbiker

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Navara NP300, Honda e, Honda TRX700XX
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
No point in them honoring it if you're going to cancel it.

You see this is a chicken and egg problem, right? The reservations prove demand. Proven demand can be gauged against the cost of developing a homologated product.

-Crissa
I never said I was going to cancel, I paid the £100 reservation fee in good faith and if I’m not allowed to purchase a right hand drive CT here in the U.K. I want to know a.s.a.p so I can move on. However Interesting all of the posts are on here, without the possibility of buying one I would obviously take my £100 and cancel the reservation.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I never said I was going to cancel, I paid the £100 reservation fee in good faith ...
...And you weren't going to know for a couple years if that was true. Do we even have a ship date for Model Y in the UK yet? I heard they were seeking permission to send cars from China.

Think of it that way, six months after the Model Y is shipping in the US, the UK still isn't sure when. They do know if, mostly.

The Model 3 took two years past launch to get to the UK and you didn't know for more than a year after it was shipped in the US if they would be able to make right-hand drive Model 3s.

You're just going to have to be patient. Most of us think it will follow the Model 3 release pattern. But even the Model Y one, you wouldn't know for another 18 months yet.

-Crissa

I totally get the frustration. But so far, if Tesla can sell in the UK, they have sold in the UK. You're not even as small a market as say, Japan, for them.

Cybertruck Hawaii

Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I thought the first few CTs were for employees. NDA? Ideally they will produce betas using actual production tooling to dial in springback of the sheetmetal and other fit issues. With these Betas they can abuse them and hopefully tweak the designs before orders are delivered.
In terms of timing they will need to start making betas next summer. It is more challenging to get the 4680 cells to acceptable yields than to tweak sheet metal and welding.
Customer comes first!