Reaction score
Website
www.schwaigerdesign.com
Vehicles
2023 MX, 2017 MS, 2018 M3, Slvdo 2500HD,CT Tri res
Occupation
Artistic metal
Country flag
We are also avid RVers and I asked about flat-towing the X before it came out.
As stated by the very knowledgable gentlemen above, it should be doable.
Maybe even charge the vehicle towing down the road until full, and then "switch off"?
It sounds to me more like an issue Tesla doesn't necessarily want to be concered with at the moment?
Sponsored

Last edited:

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
As stated by the very knowledgable gentlemen above, it should be duable.
Maybe even charge the vehicle towing down the road until full, and then "switch off"?
It sounds to me more like an issue Tesla doesn't necessarily want to be concered with at the moment?
Once a towed vehicle on all fours is energized it becomes “operable”, liable and without an “operator” Tesla are in the chain of liability.

Tesla are not in the business of defending vehicle liability claims. Lexus famously defended its vehicle in So. Calif. case that self-energized its accelerator. That provided drive-by-wire WOT to the motor beyond human control. Four adults died launching 90 mph off an exit ramp at the bottom into a field. It was operated by an off-duty CHP officer. Lexus bs counter claim of non-standard floormat interference was disproved by forensic analysis that concluded metallurgy corrosion closed a gate inside a controller unit.

Shit Happens! Too bad…but maybe towing 3x motors behind your motor home is the marketing win-win it is made out to be for you.

Quicksilver

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan van
Occupation
Retired military
Country flag
I see lots of RV's towing boats or toy haulers.

Why not just tow the CT on a trailer and not have to worry about damaging the drivetrain?

If you can afford a big RV and a CT a decent car hauling trailer should be in the budget.

Rhino5

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
94' Wanderlodge
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I see lots of RV's towing boats or toy haulers.

Why not just tow the CT on a trailer and not have to worry about damaging the drivetrain?

If you can afford a big RV and a CT a decent car hauling trailer should be in the budget.
Towing on a trailer means one more thing that you have to deal with at campgrounds that are making smaller sites. Some places you have to park the trailer in the overflow about a mile out. Flat tow means you only have a towbar to hook to the vehicle and off you go. Trailers are quite a bit more back and forth, extra tags, more tires, more insurance, more maintenance.

As Elon has said, the best part is no part.
Paraphrased, the best trailer is no trailer.

Idaho_7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAM 3/4 ton
Country flag
Will the tri motor cybertruck be flat towable on the ground eg. behind a motor home?
I contacted Tesla over a year ago regarding flat towing, behind a MotorCoach, their other vehicles that were in production at that time. There response was simple and polite: Absolutely no, zero flat towing allowed.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Will the tri motor cybertruck be flat towable on the ground eg. behind a motor home?
I contacted Tesla over a year ago regarding flat towing, behind a MotorCoach, their other vehicles that were in production at that time. There response was simple and polite: Absolutely no, zero flat towing allowed.
One could maybe trade the cart and horse. Use the CT to flat tow the motor home?

cmillet77

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Tiffin Phaeton, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
FIRE
Country flag
I full time in a Class A diesel, I have a reservation for a CT but I will have to delay/cancel it if it cannot be flat towed. I love that we will be able to plug the RV into the CT to get supplemental shore power. My 700 AH battery bank (only 350 AH usable) needs charging after half a day due to the residential fridge. When boondocking (usually for a week or less) it would be great to have option to plug into the CT to keep the battery bank charged instead of running the generator a few hours each day. If my math is right, the ~120KwH battery in the dual motor CT would run our RV for 10-14 days. Awesome

Owner13669

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I full time in a Class A diesel, I have a reservation for a CT but I will have to delay/cancel it if it cannot be flat towed. I love that we will be able to plug the RV into the CT to get supplemental shore power. My 700 AH battery bank (only 350 AH usable) needs charging after half a day due to the residential fridge. When boondocking (usually for a week or less) it would be great to have option to plug into the CT to keep the battery bank charged instead of running the generator a few hours each day. If my math is right, the ~120KwH battery in the dual motor CT would run our RV for 10-14 days. Awesome
Im not saying it’s impossible, but generally a vehicle needs to be in neutral, and ok’d by the manufacturer for flat towing, for instance a Chevy equinox can, but you have to run the motor periodically to cool the transmission and other gear. Most vehicles with automatic transmissions can’t be towed. And Tesla at this point, can’t. I would think that the motors and battery would overheat, especially if the car wasn’t running, as the cooling system wouldn’t function.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I would think that the motors and battery would overheat, especially if the car wasn’t running, as the cooling system wouldn’t function.
Tesla runs its cooling systems based upon need, not driver activation.

But yes, they have not allowed towing because that would be a worry. Overcharging via regen is another.

It's possible for them to create the programming, but it would require the Cybertruck to not detect any faults, and to have sensors on the temp of motor control and battery cables in case something goes wrong.

Hopefully they'll do that, but it's now an uncommon feature.

-Crissa

cmillet77

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Tiffin Phaeton, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
FIRE
Country flag
I think all of the engineering challenges can be overcome, it's just a matter of if there is enough demand for this feature for Tesla to invest the time to make it reality.

Mammalian04

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, F-150
Occupation
Builder, Broker
Country flag
Just bumping the thread. Has anyone been able to get an answer from anyone at Tesla?
Thanks!

cybertrucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck
Country flag
+1 for flat towing.

I have Cybertruck on order. Currently flat tow a Suburban behind my motorhome. Will cancel my Cybertruck and switch to Rivian if the CT can’t be flat towed.
Sponsored