For retail customers, the lowest priced full-size pickup truck with 300mi range, Ford F-150 Lightning Pro ER or Tesla Cybertruck?

OP
OP

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
In these clips from that video, you can see that Jay Leno can just rest his arm at shoulder height at the very back of the Cybertruck. In the next instant Franz starts to open the vault and in the wider shot you can see by the clearance that the truck has probably already been lowered to its lowest height. I think the only spot to comfortably load the truck will be from the very back.

New trucks may be higher but perhaps people aren't using those for work. My truck is probably low compared to other 4x4s but I wouldn't want it any higher to actually use it for something.

leno3.jpg

Your video snapshot at 0.54 is of Jay standing at end of the Cybertruck (behind the tailgate). The snapshot is a couple seconds too late. That snapshot is later than the point I described where Jay was on the side of the truck and where he first put's his arm up on the vault. Jay put his whole arm up on the vault at .051-0.52 while still at the wheel well (at about 1/3 point of sail panel). Later Jay walked behind the Cybertruck.

They are moving fairly fast in the video.

To see the action better:
Set the video resolution up to 1080p HD, full-screen the video, turn the speed down to .25 speed, then play time points 0.49 - 0.52.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Jay put his whole arm up on the vault at .051-0.52 while still at the wheel well (at about 1/3 point of sail panel). Jay Leno is 5 ft 11 in (71 in) tall. In the video the sail panel mid-point looks to be well below his shoulder. He also lays his whole arm down on top of vault. Looks like he could have reached into bed if it had been open.

Tesla Cybertruck For retail customers, the lowest priced full-size pickup truck with 300mi range, Ford F-150 Lightning Pro ER or Tesla Cybertruck? jayleno-arm-on-cybertruck-Screenshot

CoyoteJim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, i3, Zero DS, F-250, CT & Aptera res
Occupation
Oracle Database Developer
Country flag
Jay put his whole arm up on the vault at .051-0.52 while still at the wheel well (at about 1/3 point of sail panel). Jay Leno is 5 ft 11 in (71 in) tall. In the video the sail panel mid-point looks to be well below his shoulder. He also lays his whole arm down on top of vault. Looks like he could have reached into bed if it had been open.

jayleno-arm-on-cybertruck-Screenshot.png
I think that’s a “stretch.”

In any case, I’m going to agree with Sandy’s assessment - no contractors are going to be buying the Cybertruck and the Cybertruck is more of a hybrid sport utility/truck. But we’ll see when deliveries start.

CoyoteJim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, i3, Zero DS, F-250, CT & Aptera res
Occupation
Oracle Database Developer
Country flag
In what way is it a stretch?
Well, it was a pun...your interpretation and his reaching over the side of the truck. To me that is not a video of a person who would have an easy time lifting something over the side or reaching for something inside. But we just disagree on how it appears so that's what it is.

Additionally, I would also point out that the distance one would have to hold something heavy above one's shoulders away from the body to "drop" in the CT is farther than for a regular truck bed, making the action more awkward. But that's just my interpretation - I don't think there is anyway to settle the issue until someone gets a CT and tries these actions to test it out.

Tesla Cybertruck For retail customers, the lowest priced full-size pickup truck with 300mi range, Ford F-150 Lightning Pro ER or Tesla Cybertruck? load3

OP
OP

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Well, it was a pun...your interpretation and his reaching over the side of the truck. To me that is not a video of a person who would have an easy time lifting something over the side or reaching for something inside. But we just disagree on how it appears so that's what it is.

Additionally, I would also point out that the distance one would have to hold something heavy above one's shoulders away from the body to "drop" in the CT is farther than for a regular truck bed, making the action more awkward. But that's just my interpretation - I don't think there is anyway to settle the issue until someone gets a CT and tries these actions to test it out.

load3.jpg

That was not an apples to apples comparison.

The 6" measurement on the Ford did not include wheel hump
Are you going to reach in only 6" and drop yours tools on the wheel well and have them drop the rest of the way onto the bed floor.

Is the image your truck or a newer truck (2018 and up)?

Vrakpant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Rover 109, Ford Transit Custom
Country flag
That was not an apples to apples comparison.

The 6" measurement on the Ford did not include wheel hump
Are you going to reach in only 6" and drop yours tools on the wheel well and have them drop the rest of the way onto the bed floor.

Is the image your truck or a newer truck (2018 and up)?
Why would you drop your tools in the bed when you have perfectly good storage in the sail pillar?
Tesla Cybertruck For retail customers, the lowest priced full-size pickup truck with 300mi range, Ford F-150 Lightning Pro ER or Tesla Cybertruck? 48135acea3f16cd3d2?rik=ExKVYb6kN79%2fPA&pid=ImgRaw

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag

load3.jpg
I typically use the round rubber step ladder on the side of my truck if I need to heave something into the bed of it. =) Actually I tend to avoid loading things into the bed like this in my more mature years as doing stuff like that tends to eventually bite you in the ass and ding the bed side in the poor attempt or loss of grasp when tossing something into it that way. Do it enough times and you are eventually going to fail.

The real question is: Do you want more bullet proof coverage on your cargo or not??
Sponsored