Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
In a different video the guys from TFL said the sticker price on that F150 Hybrid was $80,000!
Sponsored

TI4Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 2500 Cummins, GMC 1500, LandRover Discovery 1, Suzuki GT750, Electra Glide Ultra Classic Limited, Electra Glide Sport, RX3 Cyclone
Occupation
Retired, added 5 days to my weekend
Country flag
Both those Horse/RV trailers are not your plain jane models, they have house batteries in them stock probaby two and could be more. They may even come with a built in genset that runs on propane which burns very clean. I would not make it a habit to use the truck to run the trailer but use the batteries if possible, the truck will charge the house batteries during the travel times. I don't think I ever saw a horse trailer at a RV park, They always asked if we have any pets and I bragg about my small dog Pepper. Yes I have a small horse called Pepper...lol

OP
OP
Sirfun

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Both those Horse/RV trailers are not your plain jane models, they have house batteries in them stock probaby two and could be more. They may even come with a built in genset that runs on propane which burns very clean. I would not make it a habit to use the truck to run the trailer but use the batteries if possible, the truck will charge the house batteries during the travel times. I don't think I ever saw a horse trailer at a RV park, They always asked if we have any pets and I bragg about my small dog Pepper. Yes I have a small horse called Pepper...lol
Yep, I noticed they both had 2 propane bottles on the front.

Geo

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru STI, KTM450EXC
Country flag
Whatever else the pro's and con's of the Hybrid F150, the one thing it will be far superior at,
than the Cybertruck and the upcoming Full Electric F150, and that is Range While Towing.

We don't have the actual numbers, but I'm sure they will be repeatedly verified once the Cybertruck is released.
But Indicatively the principle in the illustration below is valid, as explained by a number of sources including Jason at Engineering Explained.
( Electric batteries contain about 1.7% of the calorific energy of Diesel fuel, and towing range is impacted less than for an electric vehicle )

Standard Range F150 Hybrid = 700 miles. Towing 2200 lbs = say 385miles. 4400 lbs = XXX

Standard Range Cybertruck = 500 miles. Towing 2200 lbs = say 200 miles. 4400 lbs = XX

P.S. Thats why I'll be carrying one those generator's costing about $1 k mentioned earlier on longer trips in my Cybertruck

POST EDIT

Some sycophants on the site with an agenda may attempt to knowingly mislead you, others are just simply wrong, anyone on this site seeking some understanding about the impact towing has on the Cybertruck's range, will have to decide for yourself, or discover it the hard way !

Whether towing the exact same load in say a F150 Hybrid vs a Cybertruck, the result is as they claim, a drop in range that is proportional, or whether the Cybertruck's range is impacted more severely.

Its worth repeating, Electric batteries contain about 1.7% of the calorific energy of Diesel fuel,
and towing range is impacted less than for an electric vehicle.
A hybrid would be around 40% efficient. With the resultant 700 mile range.
An electric vehicle is in excess of 95% efficient. With the resultant 500 mile range.
So given the range, and the efficiency from the fuel source, when a new load (towing) is introduced, you'll work it out, what the impact will be on range !

ie.

F150 Hybrid = 700 mile range, . . towing 2200 lbs = x % lower, . . . . . . . . . . . 4,400 lbs =
Cybertruck = 500 mile range, . . . .towing 2200 lbs = x % (+ say 25% ) lower , . . .4,400 lbs =

Last edited:

azjohn

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Country flag
In a different video the guys from TFL said the sticker price on that F150 Hybrid was $80,000!
Thats mostly due to the truck being a Limited model( the most expensive Ford make). You could get an XLT hybrid with the onboard 7.2KWH generator for mid 50K

Geo

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru STI, KTM450EXC
Country flag
Yes, I believe you.
And in fact you can drive in a way that your 18 MPG drops to 11 MPG not all the way down to 9 MPG.
However your personal anecdote does not in any way challenge the fact ICE vehicles are impacted less in towing range than electric vehicles are.
And in fact you could still prove the point if an electric vehicle did the same route, the, same way, in the same conditions, towing the same load and dropped the range by say 70%. or more !

The scientific fact still remains, all things being equal, the towing range for an electric vehicle will be impacted significantly more than for an ICE vehicle.
That is a simple fact given the abundant evidence that has been verified.
See Jason at Engineering Explored, or TFL Guys testing Model X getting
65 miles of total range while towing 5000 lbs, (pulling 900 plus wh/mile )

Model X weighs 5400 lbs, range reduction towing 5000 lbs is 2/3 !! ABOUT 66 % !!

But we will all have no doubt it will be absolutely verified to the 2nd decimal place, what towing load / range impact will be specifically for the Cybertruck, once its released.

( which is why its so important the standard range it comes out with is as big as it possibly can be. I hope 500 + turns out to be 650 miles or even more )

Jason : " Why todays electric vehicles are bad at towing "

C'mon TFL guys, do a towing test with the F150 Hybrid and compare it to the Model X results, it will be very useful as an indicative comparison !
What will the drop in range be for the F150 ? Proportionally, how much better than the Model X ?

The F150 will have a far worse drag co-efficient, but its likely one of the three Cybertruck variations will be close to the Model X's 5400 lbs weight. The test will suffice until you actually have a CT test.

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
the fact ICE vehicles are impacted less in towing range than electric vehicles are.
No. Just... No.

Hybrids can be hit worse than either because their engines make assumptions about load. If they have to run in full engine mode, they can be forced to operate at or below the efficiency of their gas-only counterparts. (So make sure to check reviews!)

Just because today's BEVs mostly have a very aerodynamic profile doesn't mean ICE cars have any special sauce to reduce towing impact. The trailer still takes the same amount of energy to pull. They're just suckier to begin with.

-Crissa

SolarWizard

First Name
MB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3.0L JT // Quad CT
Occupation
solar, DCFC & battery biz owner
Country flag
TFL posted this video bragging about how the new Ford F150 Hybrid can be used as a generator. I'm curious how this would compare to using an actual generator. Basically this $70,000 truck is just sitting there burning fuel at a 1500rpm idle for hours on end. In addition you get exhaust, carbon monoxide and noise. Does this really seem like a good idea? Also how would it compare to plugging into the Cybertruck.
Inquiring minds would like to know.
it’s one hell of a lot better than an emission control free generator

SolarWizard

First Name
MB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3.0L JT // Quad CT
Occupation
solar, DCFC & battery biz owner
Country flag
No. Just... No.

Hybrids can be hit worse than either because their engines make assumptions about load. If they have to run in full engine mode, they can be forced to operate at or below the efficiency of their gas-only counterparts. (So make sure to check reviews!)

Just because today's BEVs mostly have a very aerodynamic profile doesn't mean ICE cars have any special sauce to reduce towing impact. The trailer still takes the same amount of energy to pull. They're just suckier to begin with.

-Crissa
which hybrid trucks have you personally towed with?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
which hybrid trucks have you personally towed with?
Irrelevant to the comment.

There was a (cherry picked) article going around last week pointing out how plug-in hybrids fibbed about their efficiency. Kernal of truth, and all, but not true for all hybrids.

I notice you haven't contradicted me, just an ad hominem request for authority.

-Crissa

OP
OP
Sirfun

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
it’s one hell of a lot better than an emission control free generator
At some point in time I would imagine there will be some tests done to compare generators with this vehicle and even a Cybertruck. At that point, maybe someone could determine which is better, or the winner. Lot's of people have opinions on Better. There are people who think that no president has ever been better than our current one.
Better, is very subjective.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
It takes X units of energy to move a tractor a unit distance. If the tractor has a reservoir of Z units of energy available for traction on board its range is Z/X. It takes Y units of energy to move a trailer one unit of distance. Towed by the tractor the total energy consumption is X + Y and the range is Z/(X + Y) = (Z/X)/(1 + Y/X) which means the range is reduced by a factor of (1 + Y/X). Why is this so difficult to understand? Why do people think it matters whether the tractor is electric rather than petrol driven? Is it not intuitively obvious that if the trailer consumes as much energy as the tractor the range will be reduced by a factor of 2 (cut in half)?
Sponsored