Foundation Series: FSD Capability = FSD Included?

BayouCityBob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3
Country flag
Deserves its own thread. The Foundation Series says specifically "FSD Capability" In its list of included features. So... does that mean that it includes FSD (future OTA) or that it is only FSD "capable" like all Teslas allegedly are and you will still have to pay for FSD in the future?

Here are the relevant screen captures from the order process and the video link from Whole Mars. IMO it includes FSD.

Tesla Cybertruck Foundation Series: FSD Capability = FSD Included? Screenshot 2023-12-09 at 17.23.07

Tesla Cybertruck Foundation Series: FSD Capability = FSD Included? Screenshot 2023-12-09 at 17.24.26

Tesla Cybertruck Foundation Series: FSD Capability = FSD Included? Screenshot 2023-12-09 at 17.24.59

Tesla Cybertruck Foundation Series: FSD Capability = FSD Included? Screenshot 2023-12-09 at 17.24.42

Tesla Cybertruck Foundation Series: FSD Capability = FSD Included? Screenshot 2023-12-09 at 17.25.20

Tesla Cybertruck Foundation Series: FSD Capability = FSD Included? Screenshot 2023-12-09 at 17.25.34
Sponsored

George Costanza

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X Plaid, Rivian R1S
Occupation
Latex Salesman, Vandelay Industries
Yes. FSD Capability *is* FSD, including both the current hardware and future software.

(You didn't ask if it has ever actually worked in the past, if it works now, or if it might work some day, so I won't offer my views on that)

OP
OP

BayouCityBob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3
Country flag
(You didn't ask if it has ever actually worked in the past, if it works now, or if it might work some day, so I won't offer my views on that)
I will offer my views on this since I have had EAP / FSD for 5.5 years on 3 different vehicles and use it literally every time I drive and have used it on every highway trip of any length for the past five + years: it is freaking awesome. It is not perfect and it requires actual supervision but I love it and it is the number 1 reason I just sold my beloved R1S to buy a CyberTruck. (Not the only reason, but #1.)

I will expect from your comment that your view is different, but I have a lot of seat time with FSD and I love it on the highway and like it a lot in the suburbs and like it well enough to usually use it on city streets. ymmv

CyberT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR RWD
Occupation
Service Technician
Country flag
This does include FSD. It says Capability because FSD is not shipping with the early trucks but will be added later via OTA.

George Costanza

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X Plaid, Rivian R1S
Occupation
Latex Salesman, Vandelay Industries
It is called "FSD Capability" for every Tesla model. There's nothing unique about the terminology for Cybertruck.

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
AS I understand it from a previous non-CT discussion with a Tesla rep, there were cars delivered that did not have the hardware for FSD. As a result, you could not ask for FSD to be enabled via software. Cars that were in inventory that had "FSD Capability" meant that all you had to do was pay the man, and you got your FSD. So when I see "FSD Capability", it leads me to believe the CT has almost everything it needs for FSD. All that is left is your wallet. Now, EVERY car has "FSD Capability" and so this is nothing out of the ordinary. This might not be correct, or it might be.

DeLorean Fan

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 P85 (RIP); 2017 Model S 100; 2018 Model 3
Country flag
One additional point of confirmation that FSD is included with the Foundation Package:

When ordering, there was a breakdown shown of the Foundation Package. It attributed $12K to FSD. It probably said "capability" but I was not paying careful of attention.

Unfortunately, I did not think to grab the screen as I assumed the breakdown would be in the order sheet.

In any case FSD IS part of the Foundation package assuming FSD becomes available for CT.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Per other thread, I found these and a few others like it that seems to confirm the view that price of FSD is in the Foundation package, paid up

Tesla Cybertruck Foundation Series: FSD Capability = FSD Included? 60D1574A-7E5C-4FAB-B284-76981CC4E815

Tesla Cybertruck Foundation Series: FSD Capability = FSD Included? 1702171922292

A separate matter is how long it will be before they get FSD actually working in the CyberTruck. Sure they will, but when

Tesla Cybertruck Foundation Series: FSD Capability = FSD Included? 4C6B2185-3EA9-470E-B434-F482AFE948C3

JGTESLA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Foundation Cyberbeast, G Class Mercedes
Country flag
Agreed on question being when will it be enabled vs whether it comes with this edition. Hopefully it isn’t too delayed. I’ve been missing autopilot since trading away my model 3 years back.

davelloydbrown

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model 3, silverado
Occupation
veterinarian - retired
Country flag
AS I understand it from a previous non-CT discussion with a Tesla rep, there were cars delivered that did not have the hardware for FSD. As a result, you could not ask for FSD to be enabled via software. Cars that were in inventory that had "FSD Capability" meant that all you had to do was pay the man, and you got your FSD. So when I see "FSD Capability", it leads me to believe the CT has almost everything it needs for FSD. All that is left is your wallet. Now, EVERY car has "FSD Capability" and so this is nothing out of the ordinary. This might not be correct, or it might be.
yes my 2018 M3 has hardware 2.5 I believe and is not FSD capable until it is upgraded to at least HW 3.0

Cyberhead

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt Premier, Cybertruck on order
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It is called "FSD Capability" for every Tesla model. There's nothing unique about the terminology for Cybertruck.
Before I completed my paperwork to buy the Cybertruck last Friday I contacted Tesla to verify FSD was included. The answer was yes!

Sonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Not a CYBRTRK :-(
So, quick question because I'm too lazy to research;
For those who ticked the box to freeze the price of FSD when pre-orders were being taken - Are those original FSD price tags being honoured?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
So, quick question because I'm too lazy to research;
For those who ticked the box to freeze the price of FSD when pre-orders were being taken - Are those original FSD price tags being honoured?
Yes!

I saw someone's screenshot in another thread where their itemized showed their original $7k price.

Edit: I can't find it now so I'm going to strike this. The Foundation package includes FSD but also it includes several thousand dollars of options.

-Crissa
Sponsored

Last edited: