Rolf
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tesla Model 3, 2021 F150 Powerboost hybrid
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Will Tesla allow FSD or at least AP while towing? Silverado RST EV will allow Super Cruise.
Sponsored

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
FSD I doubt, at least not for a long time, because FSD is fine tuned to the dimensions of the Tesla and not whatever random sized thing you are towing.

Lane assist I could see being a reality, especially on highways. But I doubt it would even change lanes since the trailer could extend far behind you and the software might not want to guess to make sure you are clearing a vehicle.

aadams1278

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
FSD I doubt, at least not for a long time, because FSD is fine tuned to the dimensions of the Tesla and not whatever random sized thing you are towing.

Lane assist I could see being a reality, especially on highways. But I doubt it would even change lanes since the trailer could extend far behind you and the software might not want to guess to make sure you are clearing a vehicle.
I agree it won’t be available for a long time, but I have hope they will eventually add it because early on they touted that as a key benefit of the semi which is going to be towing a trailer of various weights if not lengths as well.

I personally have been impressed at the capabilities Tesla have discussed in some of their talks about what autopilot/FSD is doing behind the scenes. I haven’t necessarily seen all those capabilities in practice using FSD beta so far, but I assume that’s because they limit what they release to the public versus what they “can” do internally with maybe less confidence. Having said that, I wouldn’t be surprised if they have some kind of plan for how to detect the size and weight and driving dynamics of the trailer you’re towing and can use all that to handle autopilot driving including lane changes *at some point in the future*.

Additionally, I highly suspect they are all hands on deck focused on getting the full neural network FSD working first and not even touching towing AP until that is figured out to their satisfaction. Then add any towing modes to whatever that version is rather than splitting their programming efforts in two directions at once knowing they’ll have to redo the towing part once the regular FSD gets done.
Sponsored