FSD... Ownership transfer issues (if someone else totals your CT)?

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
One of the things that has been on my mind. What if I (finally!) get my CyberTruck and the next day some drunk driver totals my ride.
Not only is FSD an issue, but... Do I have to wait in line all over again??
Unless Tesla used their discretion to move you to the front of the reservation wait list, you would need to reserve another one and wait your turn, as it should be. Unless you could find an almost new one on the secondary market.

I was lucky enough to be an early Model 3 owner and, having waited 2.5 years to take delivery, I was acutely aware of how much demand there was (relative to the supply). I knew totaling it would involve a lengthy wait and this did make me drive with more acute awareness than normal. But the situation you mention is no different from anyone else who spontaneously decided they needed a Cybertruck and only a Cybertruck and didn't already have a reservation. A reservation is only for one car, it's not a reservation for one car plus aditional reservations for however many you may total. That's not how the world works. I shouldn't have to say that but apparently I do.
Sponsored

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
We’ll see how it goes when someone totals a Tesla and tells us whether the price they get from their insurance company to replace the vehicle includes the full price of FSD. I am a pessimist in this regard; I don’t trust insurance companies to do what I expect.
You are just raising silly points now.

I don't like insurance companies either. They try to pay as little as possible with regularity. This is not new. Some are better than others and, with a good company, you shouldn't need a lawyer to get true market value up to your policy limits for vehicle value. Obviously, this will include FSD as long as FSD is an option that stays with the vehicle. Even the bargain companies are legally required to follow the terms of the policies they write and the typical policy is for replacement value, like for like, up to your insured limit.

Most insurance companies also offer replacement with a new vehicle of the same specs if totalled in the first year. This costs more because it covers the depreciation off the lot. But again, it's only up to the limit of your policy. This means if the value of the Cybertruck has risen, it will only cover it up to the insured limit. So, if your truck appreciates in value, and you want to be insured for the new, higher value, you will need to raise the limit of your policy.

I shouldn't have to say this, but apparently I do. This is how it works and I'm surprised there are still some motorists that don't understand insurance basics.

Last edited:

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag