DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
I have a reservation for tri-motor with FSD for 7K. Currently, a reservation with FSD is an add-on for 10K. I was about to put down a second reservation and paused at the price increase.

How high do you think it will go? What's the maximum you would pay and also have you experienced enhanced autopilot??

I have a model 3 and I'm driving less than 200 miles a month currently so paying 10K feels crazy. On the other hand, I know how nice enhanced autopilot is so I'd probably pay up to 15K. Seeing as how FSD stays with the car, I almost feel like it's a mini-investment with a small too.

Thoughts? How much would you pay? Is this because of your experience with enhanced autopilot?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Well, I did see my friend's Model 3 with enhanced autopilot, and that was sweet.

I don't know if I could afford 10k for it, tho.

Right now, though, just order it with FSD. You can always change your mind when the number comes up.

-Crissa

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
For me, $10,000 is the most I would pay for FSD. I’m a cheap SOB. I drive a lot now and plan on driving more when I retire and am future-proofing my purchase in case of my inability to drive later.

in your current situation I am curious why you are contemplating ordering a second Cybertruck if you are only driving 200 miles a month. By the tone of the question you proposed it sounds like you are projecting the same driving level in the future.

Crissa is right, order CT with FSD for a $10k lock in. You can decide on it when they call you to build and deliver. (It ain’t going to get cheaper.)

OP
OP

DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
in your current situation I am curious why you are contemplating ordering a second Cybertruck if you are only driving 200 miles a month. By the tone of the question you proposed it sounds like you are projecting the same driving level in the future.
I plan to return to 15K to 25K miles a year though 2022 might be closer to 40K.

I did end up reserving a second one after the post. Why? Partly just for the fun though mostly for some sort of profit. Whether I rent it out or robotaxi or flip it or sell to family member, I think there will be some opportunity.

I asked my wife, who loves enhanced autopilot, how much she would pay for FSD and she basically said zero. She's tried all the beta stuff and thinks it's nowhere near ready. I love the enhanced autopilot and have seen the improvements so I'm projecting out till early 2022.

Will FSD be ready by early 2022? F if I know but the first license to operate an autonomous vehicle fleet in California was issued ( https://www.businessinsider.com/cal...-deliver-pizza-groceries-and-medicine-2020-12 )

My other concern is this subscription model. The supercharger network was pay up front now pay as you go. If Tesla fulfills on 100% FSD then I think it's value for a vehicle that can't really be totaled out will be much higher than 10K.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag

I did end up reserving a second one after the post. Why? Partly just for the fun though mostly for some sort of profit. Whether I rent it out or robotaxi or flip it or sell to family member, I think there will be some opportunity.

I asked my wife, who loves enhanced autopilot, how much she would pay for FSD and she basically said zero. She's tried all the beta stuff and thinks it's nowhere near ready. I love the enhanced autopilot and have seen the improvements so I'm projecting out till early 2022.

Will FSD be ready by early 2022? F if I know but the first license to operate an autonomous vehicle fleet in California was issued ( https://www.businessinsider.com/cal...-deliver-pizza-groceries-and-medicine-2020-12 )

My other concern is this subscription model. The supercharger network was pay up front now pay as you go. If Tesla fulfills on 100% FSD then I think it's value for a vehicle that can't really be totaled out will be much higher than 10K.
Thanks for the link to that article. Our world is changing that's for sure. I was reading this article about the worlds largest Supercharger station in Shanghai I believe. The article says it's for crammed cities. I think Tesla is building infrastructure for their Robotaxi network. In crammed cities it will be so convenient to not have your own vehicle, with all the costs involved including parking, that Robotaxi's will kick butt. Tesla will pay some employees to work at the Supercharger station, to clean and inspect them while they charge. But the majority of the network will all be automated.
https://electrek.co/2020/12/31/tesla-opens-new-world-largest-supercharger-station/

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Note: First commercial automous fleet.

Google has had pods going between their campuses for about ten years with varying levels of autonomy, but they were limited to the residential streets.

And there are a couple companies who now have no-driver-needed testing licenses in SF.

We're at another inflection point. A decade ago they all had minders. Now they're starting to shed even those.

-Crissa

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
It is possible that, in the not so distant future, private vehicles aren’t allowed in major cities at all, so a combination of robotaxis and mass transit will be the only 3+ wheel motorized transit. I have no idea how long it would take to move outward but it seems as though we will have privately owned vehicles outside of cities for some time to come.

Revoltlution

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius (CyberSlug)
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
if an FSD model will MAKE you $300k over 10 years (no prob for the CT), I would expect Tesla could charge ~$50k+ easy. Right now, lay public still doesn't see how they could be there, but really probably only a year away :) Exciting future.
#robotaxiisthefuture

OP
OP

DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
if an FSD model will MAKE you $300k over 10 years (no prob for the CT), I would expect Tesla could charge ~$50k+ easy. Right now, lay public still doesn't see how they could be there, but really probably only a year away :) Exciting future.
#robotaxiisthefuture
Agreed. Like all things FSD, the question is when. As the possibility gets closer, I imagine Tesla will have a pricing dilemma. Too little and money is left on the table while customers make the profit in robotaxi. Too much and the feature becomes non-competitive and/or not-profitable.

There may be some way to square the circle but I don't know what it is.

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Tesla FSD Beta takes driver from SF to LA with no human intervention
By Maria Merano

A Tesla Model 3 with limited Full Self-Driving beta successfully traveled from San Francisco past the Los Angeles border without requiring any interventions–almost. The trip was not perfect, but the drive itself was impressive as it highlighted the potential of Elon Musk and Tesla’s camera-centric approach to full self-driving.

Tesla owner-enthusiast Whole Mars Catalog posted a time-lapse video of an FSD trip in a Model 3 Performance. Over the course of the video, viewers could see how the all-electric sedan transitioned from the FSD beta in inner-city areas to Navigate on Autopilot in freeways. The vehicle’s overall behavior was astonishing, with the Model 3 behaving almost like a human driver for a good part of the trip.

The FSD beta drive from San Francisco to Los Angeles was not perfect. As the Tesla owner remarked, FSD still exhibited some strange behavior at the Market Street area when it changed lanes. Ironically, there was also a moment after the vehicle crossed the border into Los Angeles, when the Tesla owner manually avoided some road debris for a second. The Tesla driver had to take control of the vehicle to stop at a couple of Superchargers along the way as well.

It has only been a little over two months since Tesla started to rollout its limited Full Self-Driving beta, giving its all-electric vehicles the capability to navigate inner-city streets. Since late October, FSD beta has received a number of updates and notable improvements.

From smooth, human-like U-turns and now, a trip from San Francisco to Los Angeles, Tesla’s FSD beta definitely seems to be taking solid steps towards autonomy. That’s an incredible milestone either way, especially considering that Tesla was able to accomplish it using a suite of cameras, radar, ultrasonic sensors, and some real-world driving data.

Watch the FSD beta’s trip from San Francisco to Los Angeles in the video below.

The Teslarati team would appreciate hearing from you. If you have any tips, email us at [email protected] or reach out to me at [email protected].

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-fsd-beta-sf-to-la-zero-intervention-drive-video/

————————————————————————————-
The capabilities that they’ve been able to perform is nothing short of spectacular. This is stuff I didn’t think we’d be able to do for another 10 years.

timjwright2.0

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck
Country flag
I have a reservation for tri-motor with FSD for 7K. Currently, a reservation with FSD is an add-on for 10K. I was about to put down a second reservation and paused at the price increase.

How high do you think it will go? What's the maximum you would pay and also have you experienced enhanced autopilot??

I have a model 3 and I'm driving less than 200 miles a month currently so paying 10K feels crazy. On the other hand, I know how nice enhanced autopilot is so I'd probably pay up to 15K. Seeing as how FSD stays with the car, I almost feel like it's a mini-investment with a small too.

Thoughts? How much would you pay? Is this because of your experience with enhanced autopilot?
Elon musk said that FSD will continue to go up to probably $100,000. The real value of FSD is putting your vehicle on the Robotaxi network where it can earn $30,000 or more a year. When you’re not using your vehicle, after at jobs you off to work, it’s out making money for you. While you’re asleep it’s out making money for you.

drscot

Banned
Banned
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired physician
Country flag

I missed something! What's the difference between enhanced autopilot and FSD? I ordered FSD for my CT at $7,000 way back when.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I missed something! What's the difference between enhanced autopilot and FSD? I ordered FSD for my CT at $7,000 way back when.
It's a trim level between Autopilot and FSD. Since FSD isn't available, new functions keep being added. Those without FSD purchased can buy features alacart but FSD customers will just get them as they come out.

-Crissa

OP
OP

DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
Enhanced autopilot is what's offered now. The car will do everything on the freeway - change lanes, navigate, avoid obstacles, change freeways, etc. - as well as attempt to drive on the road (beta). Enhanced autopilot requires human interaction about every 12 seconds just to prove that you are not asleep at the wheel. FSD is the holy grail, no human interaction, all conditions. If you buy FSD, you get whatever the best that is currently available, it has significantly improved even in the last 12 months. Technically, it's called enhanced autopilot. Part of the stink that Telsa stepped in was the marketing of FSD. They sell "it" but it is constantly evolving and not actually FSD yet. It is awesome in its current state but it hasn't reached the finish line.
Sponsored