Reaction score
Website
www.KirkScheidt.com
Vehicles
2024 Cybertruck
Occupation
Risk Analyst
Country flag
Looks like Ford is increasing the price of the F-150 Lightning for the 2024 model year by up to $9,600.

• Pro: $52,090 ($2,095 increase)
  • XLT: $59,590 ($2,500 increase)
  • Flash: $72,090 (new trim for 2024)
  • Lariat: $79,590 ($9,595 increase)
  • Platinum: TBD

I honestly expected Ford and the rest of the competition to wait out the Cybertruck reveal event and be more reactionary with pricing but perhaps by being a first mover here they are hoping Tesla won't undercut them as much to take more margin up front/during production ramp? Thoughts?

Source: https://www.autoblog.com/2023/10/25/the-ford-f-150-lightning-is-getting-price-increases-for-2024/
Sponsored

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
Some good ole fashioned corporate espionage? XLT and between flash and lariat are where my predictions for CT are.

Bill837

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Z4, 2015 Cherokee Trailhawk, 2008 R1200RT
Occupation
Aviation Weapons/Systems
Country flag
Damn, so how much will the Lightning II Electric Unibody Bugalooo cost? And weigh?

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
The prices look thereabouts, in line with our CT guessed price.

At least they seem reasonable to me, compared to fantasy original prices set to look good as a marketing exercise.

But still, just like Tesla, at scale, Ford needs to prove profit to maintain that price. I think they are far behind on that front.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
At least they seem reasonable to me, compared to fantasy original prices set to look good as a marketing exercise.
still higher than the original pricing at Lightning release

theyā€™ve see-sawed pricing from from at first low, to high, to higher, to medium, to back to ~high

itā€™s a real rollercoaster!

Arctic_White

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S Plaid; CT on order
Country flag
Looks like Ford is increasing the price of the F-150 Lightning for the 2024 model year by up to $9,600.

• Pro: $52,090 ($2,095 increase)
  • XLT: $59,590 ($2,500 increase)
  • Flash: $72,090 (new trim for 2024)
  • Lariat: $79,590 ($9,595 increase)
  • Platinum: TBD

I honestly expected Ford and the rest of the competition to wait out the Cybertruck reveal event and be more reactionary with pricing but perhaps by being a first mover here they are hoping Tesla won't undercut them as much to take more margin up front/during production ramp? Thoughts?

Source: https://www.autoblog.com/2023/10/25/the-ford-f-150-lightning-is-getting-price-increases-for-2024/
Just a short while back, Elon said that the Lightning is a good product but somewhat expensive.

Last week during the earnings call, he also cautioned shareholders to not expect crazy good margins from the Cybertruck.

All of this leads me to believe that the Cybertruck would be priced under the Ford Lightning but with better specs.

So perhaps $60K for the dual motor and under $80K for performance?

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
So perhaps $60K for the dual motor and under $80K for performance?
Often admitting this is a topic I feel out to sea on, Iā€™m generally leaning the direction you are as relates to the dual

since theyā€™re going to make predominately duals, the broader rationals you state sort of collapses to the dual pricing being the driver

as for the ā€˜performanceā€™** trim, theyā€™ll make so few as essentially a halo/exclusive that it doesnā€™t really drive the pricing/margin plan for the CT. So there, I can see skyā€™s the limit. This is why at Model S Plaid release they could charge $35-40K over the LR S, and like $50-$69K over the Model S base trim. Theyā€™re pricing incentives for this sort of limit product are just fundamentally different: you donā€™t *want* to build a lot (the COGS arenā€™t as good, the buyer market isnā€™t there, you price for exclusivity, and thereā€™s intangible corporate value in the bragging rights the specs bring.)

put differently, your rationale is compelling to me as relates to the dual, which will be the volume driver and have to adhere to basic sorts of bottom line fundamentals - but the ā€˜performanceā€™ doesnā€™t have to follow those Fundamentals, as it can be subject to a different set of goals from a low volume trim

**personal view: we should stop calling it the ā€˜triā€™ as it creates confusion and thereā€™s too much baggage around the appearance that this ā€˜performanceā€™ model being released Nov 30 (which happens to have three motors) is meaningfully related to ā€˜The Tri Motorā€™ described in 2019 and discussed for for years since.

maybe itā€™s just a personal quirk, but I feel that observing this distinction helps people to understand (correctly I think) that the trim being released on Nov 30 is not *a failed version of the tri described in 2019*, but instead a surprise/extra trim weā€™ve not considered before (basically, ā€˜The Dialā€™ on steroids)

Arctic_White

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S Plaid; CT on order
Country flag
Often admitting this is a topic I feel out to sea on, Iā€™m generally leaning the direction you are as relates to the dual

since theyā€™re going to make predominately duals, the broader rationals you state sort of collapses to the dual pricing being the driver

as for the ā€˜performanceā€™** trim, theyā€™ll make so few as essentially a halo/exclusive that it doesnā€™t really drive the pricing/margin plan for the CT. So there, I can see skyā€™s the limit. This is why at Model S Plaid release they could charge $35-40K over the LR S, and like $50-$69K over the Model S base trim. Theyā€™re pricing incentives for this sort of limit product are just fundamentally different: you donā€™t *want* to build a lot (the COGS arenā€™t as good, the buyer market isnā€™t there, you price for exclusivity, and thereā€™s intangible corporate value in the bragging rights the specs bring.)

put differently, your rationale is compelling to me as relates to the dual, which will be the volume driver and have to adhere to basic sorts of bottom line fundamentals - but the ā€˜performanceā€™ doesnā€™t have to follow those Fundamentals, as it can be subject to a different set of goals from a low volume trim

**personal view: we should stop calling it the ā€˜triā€™ as it creates confusion and thereā€™s too much baggage around the appearance that this ā€˜performanceā€™ model being released Nov 30 (which happens to have three motors) is meaningfully related to ā€˜The Tri Motorā€™ described in 2019 and discussed for for years since.

maybe itā€™s just a personal quirk, but I feel that observing this distinction helps people to understand (correctly I think) that the trim being released on Nov 30 is not *a failed version of the tri described in 2019*, but instead a surprise/extra trim weā€™ve not considered before (basically, ā€˜The Dialā€™ on steroids)
All the points that you raised are very valid and logically sound.

Dual / base = $60K. Volume driver.
Performance = $80K or more?! I mean sure, if they want to price it more than $80K then they better have 500+ mile range. Otherwise, the market for an $80K pickup truck isn't as large as one would think.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Otherwise, the market for an $80K pickup truck isn't as large as one would think.
nor is the market for a $131,000 sedan with 348mi range, that while absurdly fast, was widely agreed by professional drivers to be a mess to drive in anything but a straight line? And with brakes and a battery that melt when given any sustained work.

But they sold probably as many of those as they expected to, Iā€™d think

and later reduced the price considerably, while fixing performance issues materially.

maybe another way to think of this; for 4 years people have been beating a drum that all model variants of the CT were intended to ā€˜disrupt the truck marketā€™ collectively and equally. That historical baggage keeps weighing down our thinking in this new reality.

whether it was ever true, where we may be today is that the ā€˜performanceā€™ model - at least for now - is roughly equivalent to the importance of the strategy and bottom line as the Model S Plaid on release (like the Shelby Raptor for Ford).

If itā€™s *remotely arguable* that the CT base model has comparable all-in specs to the Raptor, while being at or only marginally more expensive than a mid-ranged F150c that means:

(1) thatā€™s a good first step in a medium term plan to disrupt, and

(2) the ā€˜performanceā€™ model isnā€™t necessarily remotely a key part of that plan

To the degree thatā€™s true, itā€™s MSRP may be the weather vein. Tesla knows how pricing works with volume. If they release a high priced ā€˜performance,ā€™ itā€™s not because they forgot itā€™s importance to the plan, but because itā€™s not an important part of the plan.

Again not saying this is the case, but instead itā€™s something like the case where/if an unexpectedly high priced ā€˜performanceā€™ comes out.
Sponsored