Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Jeep YJ, 2019 Jeep Cherokee, Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Operating Manager Power Lineman
Country flag
Is a jack needed if vehicle has adjustable height? Raise truck, add block, lower truck.
You still have to overcome the weight of the tire and suspension. The reason the air bags deflate and lower is the weight that is on top of them. They do not deflate and pull the tire to the truck.
Sponsored

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
You still have to overcome the weight of the tire and suspension. The reason the air bags deflate and lower is the weight that is on top of them. They do not deflate and pull the tire to the truck.
I guess I just assumed they were gonna use the air suspension cylinders similar to model X and not an airbag but maybe you are right they have to use airbag for heavier load carry.

PACEMD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri-Motor Cybertruck, P3D- Tesla Model 3 Stealth Performance, 4Runner TRD/ORP, F350 diesel dually
Country flag
Wash the truck? What in the ham sandwich is that all about? No, seriously, some years ago you could buy spray-on mud, popular in Europe, as you suggested to impress your neighbors you are the rugged off-road type. I still have a few cans lying around if you want to borrow some........

PACEMD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri-Motor Cybertruck, P3D- Tesla Model 3 Stealth Performance, 4Runner TRD/ORP, F350 diesel dually
Country flag
Now you're talkin' off-road.........

parapyropig

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 FJ Cruiser NSSE, Cybertruck trimotor
Occupation
parapyropig
Country flag
I see little value in a spare since tires are so good nowadays. I drive a lot .. 2X the national average ... and I’ve had just 2 tire issues in the past 30 years. I’m fine without.
For the average user, I would be inclined to agree with you.

For those of us who are off-road enthusiasts, however, spare tire(s) are essential.

When you are negotiating the Imogene Pass at 13,400 feet in southwestern Colorado, and you blow a sidewall out on a sharp piece of granite, it’s impractical to call AAA.

The tires that are on the cybertruck prototype would be challenging to stow; they are 35 inches tall and 12 1/2 inches wide.

The only practical way to carry a spare that I see is to bolt one down to the floor of the bed. Or, like me, be cheap, and ratchet strap the damn thing down.

Unfortunately, the tire looks too tall to bolt upright against the forward wall or side walls of the vault (if you want the vault cover closed).

Keeney

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
Country flag
For the average user, I would be inclined to agree with you.

For those of us who are off-road enthusiasts, however, spare tire(s) are essential.

When you are negotiating the Imogene Pass at 13,400 feet in southwestern Colorado, and you blow a sidewall out on a sharp piece of granite, it’s impractical to call AAA.

The tires that are on the cybertruck prototype would be challenging to stow; they are 35 inches tall and 12 1/2 inches wide.

The only practical way to carry a spare that I see is to bolt one down to the floor of the bed. Or, like me, be cheap, and ratchet strap the damn thing down.

Unfortunately, the tire looks too tall to bolt upright against the forward wall or side walls of the vault (if you want the vault cover closed).
For off-roading, if you need the cargo space in the bed, put the spare on top in a roof cargo rack. The rack could even be back a bit and span across part of the bed over the forward portion of the roll top so its tucked a bit more behind the leading edge of the top of the pyramid shape.

Tesla Cybertruck Full size spare tire 1579316736129

Any idea if the Frunk might be big enough for a spare? The best pic I could find that shows the size of the frunk is this side view of the bare main skeleton of the truck. It looks like the pan that I would think forms the bottom of the frunk would not be very deep.

Tesla Cybertruck Full size spare tire 1579316309253

Last edited:

parapyropig

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 FJ Cruiser NSSE, Cybertruck trimotor
Occupation
parapyropig
Country flag
For off-roading, if you need the cargo space in the bed, put the spare on top in a roof cargo rack. The rack could even be back a bit and span across part of the bed over the forward portion of the roll top so its tucked a bit more behind the leading edge of the top of the pyramid shape.

1579316736129.png

Any idea if the Frunk might be big enough for a spare? The best pic I could find that shows the size of the frunk is this side view of the bare main skeleton of the truck. It looks like the pan that I would think forms the bottom of the frunk would not be very deep.
While possible, going roof rack would royally destroy the aerodynamics, as well as block view. Not to mention trying to lug a 70 pound tire up onto the roof.

The frunk is going to be waaaaaaaay too small to fit a tire.

Mounting it over the vault cover would work, but, if you have the solar option, you’re going to be blocking your panel. And there’s still the messing up of the aerodynamics.

Enlarging the storage area under the vault will, in all probability, be impossible, as the motor (or motors) will be in that area.

A rear bumper-mounted swing-out rack might be a compromise.

Keeney

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
Country flag
While possible, going roof rack would royally destroy the aerodynamics, as well as block view. Not to mention trying to lug a 70 pound tire up onto the roof.

A rear bumper-mounted swing-out rack might be a compromise.
Anywhere on the exterior is going to mess with the aerodynamics to some degree. Hanging on the back, maybe less so, but still will add drag. A 35" tire may be higher than the height of the tailgate.

The idea of putting it on top and not hanging on the tailgate was because people were saying they wanted to use the cargo bed to haul stuff, so trying to find a place that isn't in the way of cargo access.

If you want to preserve range, your options are in the vault, or in the back seat.

(As a side question, how fast are you going off road that you worry about aerodynamics?)

Last edited:

Keeney

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
Country flag
Something like this could stow it in the cargo bed and still give some room underneath:
Tesla Cybertruck Full size spare tire 1579366178857

Here is one that hooks into the side cargo rails like CT has (width will need to be tweaked):
Tesla Cybertruck Full size spare tire 1579366596749
Sponsored