Tire size?

Deleted member 12457

I grabbed a screenshot from another forum showing the CT at "Petersen with Franz." If this CT is at least close to production release the reported Stock tire size: 285/65/20 is what the CT at Petersen had. The screenshot includes additional tire information, including the Goodyear name.

Tesla Cybertruck Tire size? Screenshot 2023-07-20 at 8.47.32 AM
Sponsored

SolarWizard

First Name
MB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3.0L JT // Quad CT
Occupation
solar, DCFC & battery biz owner
Country flag
Based on a lot of history with good years the tire is gonna be about 34.5” tall unmounted and in the neighborhood of 34” under the CT.

I wish we had some good pics of the control arms. Definitely gonna be a market for bigger tie rods, slimmer and/or delete kits for the flares and portal axle upfits for people that wanna get insane off road or just roll around on 40s.

messing with the control arms or using the stupid airbag cheaters is gonna prove to be unwise imo

Deleted member 12457

Based on a lot of history with good years the tire is gonna be about 34.5” tall unmounted and in the neighborhood of 34” under the CT.

I wish we had some good pics of the control arms. Definitely gonna be a market for bigger tie rods, slimmer and/or delete kits for the flares and portal axle upfits for people that wanna get insane off road or just roll around on 40s.

messing with the control arms or using the stupid airbag cheaters is gonna prove to be unwise imo
Elon had the CT designed to go to Baja and have fun. I have to assume the designers took this requirement and designed strong/heavy enough control arms and tie rods for "normal" off-roading.

A calculator to add to your tire height statement. I like the sidewall height. I don't understand why people get very low profile tires with all the garbage roads in the USA. I'd rather not blow out my tires or break my rims the first time I drive on city streets and hit a hole.

Tesla Cybertruck Tire size? Screenshot 2023-07-20 at 11.47.12 AM

BigAl

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Elon had the CT designed to go to Baja and have fun. I have to assume the designers took this requirement and designed strong/heavy enough control arms and tie rods for "normal" off-roading.
Lets hope so!!!

Albern

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevrolet Volt, 202X Cybertruck Plaid+ (x2)
Country flag

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
I was hoping for R18... it would allow much more meatier tire to help absorb impacts, and with lowered pressue, grip rocks and such when offroading...

Dusty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Creator
Country flag
37" on r18 is ***chef's kiss***

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I was hoping for R18... it would allow much more meatier tire to help absorb impacts, and with lowered pressue, grip rocks and such when offroading...
Well, we have no idea what the minimum size wheel it'll accept is. Most current Teslas will accept an 18 even if they don't come with it.

-Crissa

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
That will depend on the brake caliper clearance required to mount the wheel. I think 18" will be tight on the CT.

In general the less wide and taller the tyre the better, unless you want to do drag racing with it.
Means it crosses bumps better, digs in soft ground less, tyre has less air and road resistance for the contact patch area, spins less per mile travelled, tread lasts longer, and you get better clearance under the hubs. Vehicle clearance above ground "might" be a negative for overall aerodynamics, but can be compensated for with the air suspension a bit.

But I think overall, the decision to go with 35" wheels was because it offered the best compromise between efficiency and grip, whilst not pushing the tyre price to high.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
That will depend on the brake caliper clearance required to mount the wheel. I think 18" will be tight on the CT.
given the weight and performance/safety aspirations (in braking) I could imagine Tesla seeking, this makes sense a lot of to me

And squares with appearances - this caliper does not appear to have the 1” to spare

Tesla Cybertruck Tire size? 40E3BA61-F170-460C-AFD0-506919289C80

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
37" on r18 is ***chef's kiss***
Even if 18" wheels would fit over the Cybertruck discs, I doubt that would be a good idea, not at all.

You have to consider that the amount of torque that is sent to the wheels must be transferred to the pavement through the sidewalls via the grip the tire bead has on the rim. The smaller the diameter of the tire bead, the more torque gets transferred through the tire's bead and the smaller diameter central sidewall (due to simple geometry).

A sub-3-second 0-60 time on 35" tall tires is going to stress the ability of the sidewall to transfer that kind of torque, regardless of the aspect ratio of the tire. But making the rim diameter smaller, while making the sidewall taller, asks proportionally more and more of the bead area and the sidewall near the bead. And having a taller sidewall makes it more difficult for those sidewalls to transfer that kind of torque without more sidewall structure. A heavier load in the bed slows the 0-60 time but it increases the torque that can be transferred because the additional weight provides more traction and allows more power to be applied through the contact patches.

If you have a truck powered by a wimpy V-8 gas or diesel engine, yeah, probably not a big concern as long as the tire has the appropriate load rating, because you are not dealing with huge torque numbers and the heavy crankshafts and transmission limits the rate at which the engine torque can be applied to the contact patches of the tires. The huge and instantaneous torque of the much lighter and faster responding electric powertrain is a different beast entirely. It will rip an inadequate tire right off that rim, faster than you can say, "ooops".

It reminds me of one of the rarest and most valuable motorcycles in the world, the 1964 Ducati Apollo V4, only two prototypes were built, and it was never put into production because there were no suitable motorcycle tires that could handle the prodigious torque produced by the huge (for the day) 1260 cc V4 engine. Sure, Ducati could have waited for tire companies to design special tires for the application, but the price (and delay) would have been problematic. Using the most suitable tires available, the prototypes would rip the tires right off the rim, and, in one case, the rejected tire carcass wrapped around the test rider's neck. Not pretty.

Tesla Cybertruck Tire size? 1690298817472

Tires have a big job to do and the Cybertruck will test the limits of truck tires and wheels like no other 1/2-ton truck ever has. I suspect the 500+ mile Cybertruck, when available, might require different tires compared to 300+ mile trims.

In any case, choose wisely (and for the right reasons).

Hint: Looks isn't one of them.

Last edited:

Dusty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Creator
Country flag
I think KM3s are up to the task.

Quoting the announcement from BFGs 2018 Baja 1000 series sweep:

Team BFGoodrich dedicated the Baja Challenge win to late team member Bill Weber, who was a longtime ambassador for the brand. The team – including Kyle Tucker, Lance Clifford, Mike Johnson, Glen Allen, Brian Finch, Brad Lovell and Jay Jukupka – won on the new BFGoodrich® Mud-Terrain T/A® KM3, proving again that an off-the-rack tire that’s widely available at retail is tough enough to win in Baja.
The top finishers that year were almost all on BFG tires, both KR (racing) and KM (off the shelf) tires.

This is the "sizzle reel" from that year. The tires with all black sidewall text are KM tires the tires with red/blue text are KRs.

Last edited:

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
And if somehow the software did not control the torque enough to keep it from breaking the beed free, just get beed lockers (clamp rims) that many off-roaders use.

Not like this is a new problem… the solution is out there.

I just cannot see, outside of some track or Baja driving mode, the traction control keeping from breaking the beed.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
And if somehow the software did not control the torque enough to keep it from breaking the beed free, just get beed lockers (clamp rims) that many off-roaders use.

Not like this is a new problem… the solution is out there.

I just cannot see, outside of some track or Baja driving mode, the traction control keeping from breaking the beed.
Wouldn't standard traction control want to not break the tires free from the rim?

-Crissa

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
That is what I get for posting when I should be in bed. It is a bad sentence (double negative)...

What I meant was:
I just cannot see, outside of some track or Baja driving mode, the traction control NOT keeping from breaking the beed.

Sorry for the confusion.
Sponsored