Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Is the CT drive by wire?
I do not know. But I once drive a car without power steering, talk about feed back! The internet seems to think the model 3 has mechanical linkage but that doesn't mean future vehicles will have it. It is not a requirement.
I would think that a true FSD car would be a drive by wire.
A steering column is a major accident hazard. Steering wheel impact is so deadly that airbags had to be invented and broken arms from the air bags are regular thing. I would rather have a broken arm than a crushed sternum.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Joy stick in the middle could be used by right or left handed people, depending on where you sit.
A joystick could easily have multiple places you could put it since it certainly would be a drive by wire system

Riptide

First Name
Roland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps
Country flag
I grew up with 10 & 2 but now I hear its 9 & 3 because of airbags. My brother was a Paramedic for 32 years and he would hammer the young EMT's when they were allowed to drive the unit "10 & 2" was his mantra over and over again. Better control of the situation. The 6 o'clock hardly leaves any room for control when TSHTF. Personally I want a Round steering WHEEL, you can grab it at any contact point, going forward or reverse and get'er done.
it’s now 3 & 9 because of power steering, not airbags. It says so right in the official driver’s guide for taking the driver’s license test the State of California publishes.

blueline

First Name
Blue
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck
Country flag
I Think round is so much more practical and useful. Although the design of the whole truck is new I feel like they know what's practical and not.

Red61224

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yugo
Country flag
it’s now 3 & 9 because of power steering, not airbags. It says so right in the official driver’s guide for taking the driver’s license test the State of California publishes.
Most of us probably take airbags for granted, but it was only in 1998 that the federal government made them mandatory in passenger cars. According to a fact sheet published by the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA) in 2013, frontal airbags have saved an average of 2,336 lives annually between 2008 and 2012. They’re an engineering marvel that have made a real difference in safety on the road. :)

But, driving a car with a steering-wheel airbag does require updating an old-school habit. If you’re still using the “10 o’clock and 2 o’clock” position, it’s time to change.

NHTSA now recommends moving the hands down the wheel to the “9 o’clock and 3 o’clock” position. Here’s why.

When your airbag is triggered, super-hot nitrogen gas fills the bag, forcing open the plastic cover on your steering wheel. The bag then expands toward you at 150-250 mph. The higher your hands are on the wheel, the more likely they are to be over that plastic cover—and the more likely they are to be injured when it blows open.

A driver otherwise protected by the airbag can suffer a broken nose or concussion caused by the hand being blasted into the face, finger or hand amputation:eek:, fracture, or a rather gruesome and very graphically-named injury called “de-gloving.”

Ouch.

9 and 3 strikes a reasonable balance between driving safety (hands in a good position to control the car), and injury avoidance if the airbag goes off (hands out of the way of the cover).

So, 9 and 3 it is.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3316

I would like to see a Joystick style controller, like one used in many aircraft. Sandy Munro showed a concept he proposed years ago.
I think it’s more likely to be a game pad style controller than an ‘80s style joystick. Lock it with a rigid flexible post to the seat centre of the person driving reducing LHD / RHD conversion issues.

You could even incorporate it into a five point harness rather than a seat belt. I would imagine people would miss the physical stability of holding the steering wheel during spirited cornering manoeuvres.

jonny

First Name
jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
car
Country flag
I think Elon like syd mead drawings a little too much. Yokes are not legal (if i remember correctly) but there are no outside rear view mirrors either and I think thats a must have. for driving off road I think you really should have a s round wheel.

rlhamil

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Trans Am WS6, 2007 PT Cruiser GT
Occupation
retired
Country flag
And then there were the Citroen steering wheels: round, but just one heavy spoke at 6 PM. Supposedly the primary advantage was that one couldn't be impaled if some spokes snapped on impact.

Debest21

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Montero
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Not sure if this conversation has happened yet, so here we go... I spend a lot of time cruising down the road with my hand in the 6 o'clock position on the wheel and my arm relaxed, this would not be possible with the Cybertruck steering wheel from the reveal. With that game controller steering device, to have your hands on the wheel you are going to be in a 9/3 or 10/2 grip when your hands are on the wheel. I know FSD! Is any on else interested in a full steering wheel?
Yes I’m interested in a full steering wheel

Reactions: CTM

MUSK007

Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model S - P100D
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Of course it will come with a full steering wheel. And full size exterior side mirrors too.

Reactions: CTM

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Cali? Really? Do we call Michigan 'Michi' or Massachusetts 'Massi' or Oklahoma 'Oki' (well, maybe), or Louisianna 'Loui'? Only people that don't live in California use that term. Its almost as bad as people that say 'Frisco'. Its like nails on a chalkboard (remember those?).
Sponsored