Getting cold feet. Vin Assigned, pickup anyday. What to do?

Alpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If you wait, you can count on the following.
1. Production will ramp up
2. Demand will cool off
3. Prices will come down
4. The novelty will wear out

When the foundation was announced, i felt a lot of people will would get swept up in the excitement and pent up frustration of waiting 4 years. But a 40-70k truck purchase morphed into essentially buying a brand new porsche carrera. Most people hadn't signed up for that type of purchase even if they could stretch their budget to make it happen.

At the end of the day, it's just a truck, and you have to do what makes financial sense for you and your family. Messing with your financial health or financial sense isn't worth it for a truck imo. Thats not even taking into account the beta feel of current trucks.

I know if my numer had been called and i took delivery, after driving it a few weeks i would hate that i spent 110 to 130k for a pick-up truck. That much money would have to be pocket change for me to not let the price bother me. I didn't get to where i am in life by being foolish with my finances. For me the money and stability out weigh having the truck right now. I will wait for my $72500 AWD.

I wouldn't let anyone scare me of the wait times. Cancel and place another reservation. I was a tri motor customer and feel a lot of original dual and single folks have jumped ship.

DumpsterFire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
Mouth Breather
Country flag
2. Demand will cool off
3. Prices will come down

When the foundation was announced, i felt a lot of people would get swept up in the excitement and pent up frustration of waiting 4 years. But a 40-70k truck purchase morphed into essentially buying a brand new porsche carrera. Most people hadn't signed up for that type of purchase even if they could stretch their budget to make it happen.

At the end of the day, it's just a truck, and you have to do what makes financial sense for you and your family. Messing with your financial health or financial sense isn't worth it for a truck imo.

I know if my # had been called and i took delivery, after driving it a few weeks i would hate that i spent 110 to 130k for a pick-up truck. That much money would have to be pocket change for me to not let the price bother me. I didn't get to where i am in life by being foolish with my finances. For me the money and stability out weigh having the truck right now. I will wait for my $72500 AWD
Replace ā€œtruckā€ā€˜with ā€œPorsche Carreraā€ and itā€™s the exactly same argument. I canā€™t imaging spending $110k on a German sports car but I don't consider it foolish for you to do so. You do you.

Different strokes for different folks. Spending. $110k on a truck even an ICE is not that hard to do dude.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
2. Demand will cool off
3. Prices will come down

I know if my # had been called and i took delivery, after driving it a few weeks i would hate that i spent 110 to 130k for a pick-up truck. That much money would have to be pocket change for me to not let the price bother me. I didn't get to where i am in life by being foolish with my finances. For me the money and stability out weigh having the truck right now. I will wait for my $72500 AWD
I agree. As a Canadian, I am unlucky that I will have to wait longer, but I am lucky because I will likely be forced to wait until the prices reduce and maybe the Cybertruck will see a couple improvements before I get mine.

I would value the AWD at 90k by itself, so if I had the option of getting mine for 80k today, i definitely would. The 100k foundation series is a bit overpriced for me, because I don't care about the badging.

I do also suspect that the Cybertruck will come down to at least $75000, which will be a big benefit to me since there is a luxury car tax in Canada and the Cybertruck will definitely cost me over 100k CAD

Alpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Replace ā€œtruckā€ā€˜with ā€œPorsche Carreraā€ and itā€™s the exactly same argument. I canā€™t imaging spending $110k on a German sports car but I don't consider it foolish for you to do so. You do you.

Different strokes for different folks. Spending. $110k on a truck even an ICE is not that hard to do dude.
My brother just bought a 2024 F450 xlt crew cab dually for $74k. The same work truck would have been in the 60's. Thats not porsche carrera money. I said I would feel foolish, not you, so yes, i am doing me.

Last edited:

DumpsterFire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
Mouth Breather
Country flag
My brother just bought a 2024 F350 xlt crew cab dually for $74k. The same work truck would have been in the 60's. Thats not porsche carrera money.
https://www.kengarfffordaf.com/inve...DtPzRtpIOdrKIe7q9uP2m6l-Nrt-zjmRoCgdsQAvD_BwE
How about this? Is the Porsche Carrera money?

hahah

Alpine, my point is this. You love your German sports cars and thatā€™s awesome! More power to you. Personally, I wouldnā€™t buy another Porsche if my life depended on it. My former Porsche Cayenne was the biggest pile of crap Iā€™ve ever owned.

that being said, I would never criticize anyone from spending whatever they want on whatever car or truck they desire as long as it bring a them joy.

People gonna people. We are all different. Thatā€™s what makes us awesome!

Last edited:

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, SOON to be Cybertruck
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
I agree. As a Canadian, I am unlucky that I will have to wait longer, but I am lucky because I will likely be forced to wait until the prices reduce and maybe the Cybertruck will see a couple improvements before I get mine.

I would value the AWD at 90k by itself, so if I had the option of getting mine for 80k today, i definitely would. The 100k foundation series is a bit overpriced for me, because I don't care about the badging.

I do also suspect that the Cybertruck will come down to at least $75000, which will be a big benefit to me since there is a luxury car tax in Canada and the Cybertruck will definitely cost me over 100k CAD

Interesting numbers, especially considering
Tesla Cybertruck Getting cold feet. Vin Assigned, pickup anyday. What to do? 1705283550527

and
Tesla Cybertruck Getting cold feet. Vin Assigned, pickup anyday. What to do? 1705283567898

So it appears that it may already be beating your numbers. And excuse me if you were referring to $Can.

DumpsterFire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
Mouth Breather
Country flag
Which do you think is more truck and paying 100k + for a truck in not a common thing no matter how much you want it to be

Screenshot_20240114_195312_Samsung Internet.jpg
Agreed but Cybertruck is no more a work truck than the Raptor in my opinion.

Yeah I think weā€™re just going to have to disagree on this one man.

Have a wonderful Sunday evening!

Alpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
DumpsterFire im not coming at you and i wasn't trying to prop up porsche. It was just an example. If you like the CT enough to pay the fs asking price, i have no issue with that. I was commenting on a post where the op was getting cold feet about going thru with the purchase. If one is feeling cold feet, that to me is justified given the price hike

OP
OP

Awadva

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, Cybertruck
Country flag
All good points. So hard to determine the used market as well

DumpsterFire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
Mouth Breather
Country flag
DumpsterFire im not coming at you and i wasn't trying to prop up porsche. It was just an example. If you like the CT enough to pay the fs asking price, i have no issue with that. I was commenting on a post where the op was getting cold feet about going thru with the purchase. If one is feeling cold feet, that to me is justified given the price hike
No I hear you man! I didnā€™t feel like you were coming at me at all. I felt like we were having a healthy discussion on it!

oh and we can totally agree on the point you make! If someone has cold feel, they should probably back out of the CT. Especially if it just means losing $250. $100k is a lot to spend on any vehicle. Ones gotta be sure one is fully committed to spend that kind of cash.

Cheers!

Reactions: REM

VR Driving

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Country flag
The main concern with investing $120k in the Cybertruck is its potential price drop in the future. In about five years, it's conceivable that a brand-new Cybertruck could be available for half its current price directly from Tesla. This isn't about depreciation, but rather how the Cybertruck might become more accessible and less exclusive over time, reducing its price significantly. In contrast, if you were to purchase a similarly specced 911, its price is likely to remain around $120k or even increase after five years. While the allure of being an early Cybertruck owner is compelling and worth a significant premium for many enthusiasts, those who are more pragmatic and not in a rush may find it wiser to wait, as the financial advantage of doing so could be substantial.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Theres no harm in waiting IMO. Worst thing that could happen is you save $20k and give T the chance to work out more gremlins
You will lose the $100, the $1,000, and the $2,000 destination fee.
Sponsored

Last edited: