Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Heavy Equipment Ops
Country flag
When Musk and Leno drove the CT, Leno commented about the glass roof and Musk reminded him it was all about a Bad Ass CyberTruck. The Cybertruck debut featured the glass and this forum has shared the patents and tech specs on the glass, all of that to say, Tesla is trying to make this truck to be extremely durable regarding glass.
Regardless of the durability, I find an glass roof to be distracting while driving. I always drive with the shade closed under a sunroof as changing sunlight between the trees can create an undesired strobe effect. I might enjoy a glass roof if this were an R.V. driven seldom for a weekend outing but as my daily truck, I would prefer a solid roof. More specific to this vehicle, I would prefer a solid roof covered with photo voltaic cells and let the glass roof be an option for those that purchase the camp kitchen and plan to off road in their BACT. PV covering the SS might help with surface temperatures as discussed elsewhere in this forum.
Give me a thumbs up if you agree, you would prefer a solid roof.
Give me a thumbs down if you disagree with me; you prefer the glass roof as the truck is designed.
When the truck was unveiled, we heard of reservations for law enforcement and military applications. As a law enforcement vehicle, I’m curious if the flashing lights on the roof would reflect inside the vehicle and be a distraction during a high speed driving situation. For a military vehicle, a glass roof might have advantages, but more often I would think the customer would order it with a metal roof, all things considered.
Much of the catalyst for my opinion comes from the fact the sunroof exploded on my car last week. When I googled it “_________ sunroof explodes” (fill in the blank with your car brand) you will find it is not uncommon, though most people have never heard of it. Sunroof aftermarketeers claim to be repairing them at almost one a day. The tech data suggests the glass is manufactured one millimeter thinner than it use to be and the savings are enjoyed by all car companies. After I checked a few websites, watched some you tube videos, then I filled in the blank with “Tesla”.
It just seems to me, a glass top is a distraction I’d rather not have in my next truck. Give me a thumbs down if you disagree and want a glass topper; give me a thumbs up if you agree a solid roof is preferred for your next truck.
Sponsored

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
I too have sun roof that i almost never use, but keep the shade closed on.

I agree that i would like the option to cover it when not wanting sunlight in from above, and also agree that i would prefer the solar panel roof. But i would be happy with the full glass roof if they gave a retractable interior shade that fully blocks the light out when wanted. Give me a glass roof auto tonneau cover like the bed!

This full glass roof i can see enjoying way more than a typical sun roof that is too small to be anything but a pointless novelty that somehow hasn't died off.

nitrohuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri Motor Cybertruck
Country flag
For what it's worth, every time I've driven a Tesla I forget that there is a glass roof over my head... it's pretty heavily tinted and doesn't really allow much noticeable light through it, I'd be very surprised if you found it to be distracting.

as for preferring PV Cells in place of the glass roof, unfortunately I doubt we will get that choice

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
One could theoretically have the cake and eat it too.

Leave the glass as is. Add transparent photovoltaics on top. And if the light inside is distracting, add a retractable sunshade or even add a dark film covering.

One thing though. I believe the flickering light distraction would only be an issue for back seat passengers. I think there is SS roof over the front seat area so the driver should be at least partially shaded.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
Give me a thumbs down if you disagree
Unable to find the thumbs down button.

My vehicle has a sunroof and I keep the shade open always. When a friend of mine comes to town I often loan him my car. He's like you and closes the shade. When I get into the car after he had driven it I feel like I'm driving in a cave or parking garage until I realize the shade is closed.

He recently bought a Model Y. I asked him if the glass roof bothered him, he said he loves it. I pointed out that he always closed the shade on my sunroof, he then seemed to be surprised by his own actions. He said he forgot that he hated sunroofs.

m.delmed129

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, LR, DM, FSD. Cybertruck Res.
Country flag
I can understand if you have a sensitivity to light, or the distractions cause by a “strobe effect”. In my two and a half years of ownership with my Model 3, I often forget the roof is glass.

The tint is darker than I imagined when I first saw the photos compared to real life, and have not found any issues from having a glass only roof to date.

Encouragingly, these vehicles achieved pretty impressive safety marks on rollovers and all impacts, despite having what you would imagine would be a hazard up top.

TomGriff

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
15 MS 70D, 17 Bolt Premier, CT Reserved, Yamaha T7
Country flag
Hey Crissa, Ever had issue with riding in and out of shade on a motorcycle? I never thought about it. Seems like a non-issue to me.
I guess if people think it's a problem, someone will come up with a solution to make money like this.
https://www.amazon.com/TAUTO-Tesla-...keywords=sunroof+cover&qid=1626124578&sr=8-11
I'm not Crissa, but as a long time motorcycle rider, shade/sun can create very challenging visibility situations when you're riding into the sun. If you have sunglasses on, then it can be hard to pick up debris in the road, if you don't have sunglasses the light can be blinding. Adventure style helmets help because they have a visor that you can use to block out the sun. I'm not sure motorcycles will be that comparable to the CT though, since presumably there will be a sun visor.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I have been largely indifferent to Sunroofs in cars, but the one in my Model Y is different and I suspect the Cybertruck's will have a similar effect.

Almost without fail, anyone sitting in my back seat comments on the sky. It is vastly different from the little portal I had to the sky in my Jetta. Also, because it has no inside cover and doesn't open, it increases the headroom in the car. It just makes the inside of the car feel bigger.

As a driver, I rarely notice it, but I did quite enjoy it when we were overnighting in the back (FWIW, that plus camp mode makes the Model Y an A+ camping car). Being able to see the dim stars and moon through the roof was pretty cool.

I prefer the roof were there. If I paid for the solar upgrade (if it happens) and that was replaced by solar panels, the loss wouldn't hurt my feelings either.

Maybe you can put a skin on your roof panel if you don't like it?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
A sunroof in a standard car is a completely different piece of glass than a panoramic roof, for one. An opening sunroof is treated like a side window, so it doesn't generally have the same level of lamination that the panoramic does. The panoramic is treated like a windshield, so it has coating to keep the parts together, and it usually has a deeper tint and reflectivity because it's not expected to have a sun shade.

I pretty much only pull the sun shade (or even close the roof) on my Mazda when the sun is angled to go behind my glasses, or it's over 100F outside,

My motorcycle is black, and I always wear tinted glasses, so I guess I don't really have much problem... tho I hate stopping at lights in the sun. It can really bake you. Lane sharing is a must, I don't understand how it's not the default everywhere.

-Crissa

Last edited:

Zenny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Country flag
Perhaps someday a form of electrochromic glass will be feasible/$ and we can just choose.

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
worst case, couldn't the roof glass simply be wrapped in a color of your choice? I would bet there is a stainless looking wrap out there that would come darn close to a match to the CT finish. The backing of the wrap might have an awkward color I suppose?

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
worst case, couldn't the roof glass simply be wrapped in a color of your choice? I would bet there is a stainless looking wrap out there that would come darn close to a match to the CT finish. The backing of the wrap might have an awkward color I suppose?
Not sure what you mean by an
awkward color
I've seen cars with wraps over the windows where there can be any and all kinds of images on the outside but from the inside, it just looks like a tinted window. Seems perfectly fine. Now if the inside showed a different image, I can imagine all sorts of images that could get very awkward.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
I am concerned about solar gain. I am not sure what would be worse, stainless steel with .5" of insulation or insulated/tinted glass. I am so excited to be able to sit in my car in comfort in the summer with the AC on without my engine idling and to auto cool my car 2-3 minutes before I get in. I am assuming Teslas already do that with an app or something.
Sponsored