Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Wrangler, Tractors
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
I think Crissa already pointed this out, but the m3 (only Tesla I own) roof is not a distraction at all as it is very heavily tinted. I know what you're talking about with the strobe though. I never even notice the glass roof until I look up and remember that it's glass. In fact, it's so heavily tinted that most very bright objects, aside from maybe the sun, can be easily looked at without the need for squinting.

According to this reddit user, the top is stock tinted to 22%, though it seems darker to me.

Lastly, I can guarantee that high quality after-market roof covers will be out within days.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
When I was taking engineering courses for the first time (thirty years ago) I realized that glass was shaping up to be cheaper than the stamped steel of the cabin. I was thinking you could make a bubble of just a few big pieces and hide the safety cell inside and it would be beautiful and cheaper.

And now, thirty years after I doodled this crossover with a glass roof I'm going to get to buy one.

So yeah, I want the glass roof. My fav thing is looking up and around while I ride through the redwoods on the way to the beach. Or the store.

-Crissa.

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Wrangler, Tractors
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
When I was taking engineering courses for the first time (thirty years ago) I realized that glass was shaping up to be cheaper than the stamped steel of the cabin. I was thinking you could make a bubble of just a few big pieces and hide the safety cell inside and it would be beautiful and cheaper.

And now, thirty years after I doodled this crossover with a glass roof I'm going to get to buy one.

So yeah, I want the glass roof. My fav thing is looking up and around while I ride through the redwoods on the way to the beach. Or the store.

-Crissa.
THIS! Also why I love the single, center screen design. Just you and the road!

jhciv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Plaid Cybertruck; First Production Model 3
Country flag
On my 2018 TM3, I never notice light flickering through because of the heavy tint. But, I definitely notice it lets in more heat than a steel roof w/insulation in direct sun. Combined with the unventilated black seats, its definitely a problem in the summer when parked outside. If you don't remember to turn on the HVAC 15 mins prior to departure, your derriere will not thank you. One of my highest requests for CT is ventilated seats.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Just saw the thread. The bright open feeling of CT’s interior best seen in Jay Leno clip was one of the major selling points for me. So I want the glass roof. That said, windshield acts as glass roof for front passengers and I doubt they could tell much of a difference if roof was not transparent.

I would forgo the glass roof only if it meant Vault mechanism could be altered to one or two pieces of solid solar panels hiding under roof when vault is open. This would allow the entire surface area behind driver to collect sun power. It will allow the darn full pass through mid-gate to happen and CT could get storage hole like R1T. For all of that, I will let the glass go. For anything less, I will keep it.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I would forgo the glass roof only if it meant Vault mechanism could be altered to one or two pieces of solid solar panels hiding under roof when vault is open. This would allow the entire surface area behind driver to collect sun power. It will allow the darn full pass through mid-gate to happen and CT could get storage hole like R1T. For all of that, I will let the glass go. For anything less, I will keep it.
Endorse this idea.

Though it's hard to say whether they could get all that going on in the roof space.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Endorse this idea.

Though it's hard to say whether they could get all that going on in the roof space.
Yup, it is much easier to type a paragraph than it is to actually make it happen.

If they can’t make the panels thin enough, rear seat may have to have height adjustment to allow for headroom when it is open. Having rear seat passengers and vault open at the same time would be very rare for my case but it could happen.

The less desirable option is using the same type of cover they are using now but store it under the roof as accordion folding system Instead of rolling it. There would be less of it to store since the vertical part of it in back panel is eliminated. longevity may not be as good with mechanics and solar on this option.

I am OK with manual vault operation if motor + gears/belts are heavy, large or difficult to fit.

Last edited:

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
Perhaps someday a form of electrochromic glass will be feasible/$ and we can just choose.
Looks like electrochromic tint films may be an option.

Alright Elon, we need an electrochromic glass option. The company I work for has installed that stuff in offices. its crazy expensive. If i recall it was like $300 to $500 per sf or somewhere in that range. since the CT glass is flat I bet we will see a lot of aftermarket options.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
Endorse this idea.

Even if the whole roof was covers in solar and you got 1.5 or 2 kWh and maybe 9 kWh to 12 kWh per day on the high end. That's not even 10% of the battery. I don't really get what the emphasis is on solar if it isn't enough to do much with. Ok, if you only drive 5 miles to work then I get it. Maybe you never need to plug the truck in, but really you still are going to need to plug it in because most people drive more than 15 miles in a day. Really I think the main benefit of the solar on the truck is going to be for camping trips where you want to run axillary devices (lights, air mattress pumps) and not drain the battery or use that solar to precondition the vehicle, keep sentry mode or over heat protection on etc.. I bet that overheat protection and other general precondition features use up almost 1.5 miles per hour on this truck while it is parked. So again, if anything the solar will help just keep the car from losing miles.

I built a solar vehicle as a class project in college. They only make sense if they are super light weight.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
I too have sun roof that i almost never use, but keep the shade closed on.

I agree that i would like the option to cover it when not wanting sunlight in from above, and also agree that i would prefer the solar panel roof. But i would be happy with the full glass roof if they gave a retractable interior shade that fully blocks the light out when wanted. Give me a glass roof auto tonneau cover like the bed!

This full glass roof i can see enjoying way more than a typical sun roof that is too small to be anything but a pointless novelty that somehow hasn't died off.
I think the sunroof is mostly exciting for the kids. I thought they were crazy cool when I was a kid and I want one just so my kids can enjoy it. Its also a status symbol on a lot of vehicles and shows that you bought the higher end trim. Without the sunroof a lot of higher end trims on some models would be difficult to discern.

android04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD, Tesla Cybertruck Tri-motor (reserved)
Country flag
Looks like electrochromic tint films may be an option.

Alright Elon, we need an electrochromic glass option. The company I work for has installed that stuff in offices. its crazy expensive. If i recall it was like $300 to $500 per sf or somewhere in that range. since the CT glass is flat I bet we will see a lot of aftermarket options.
The Rivian R1T will have electrochromic tint on its glass roof. I don't think Cybertruck will have it because as you said it adds expense. Tesla has a price point to hit. I don't need or want anything on the glass roof except the factory tint and coatings like my Model 3 has. Though I'd probably pay extra for solar panels to offset the small drain of the always-on electronics and trickle charge the 12v battery.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Yup, it is much easier to type a paragraph than it is to actually make it happen.

If they can’t make the panels thin enough, rear seat may have to have height adjustment to allow for headroom when it is open. Having rear seat passengers and vault open at the same time would be very rare for my case but it could happen.
For me, if passengers are in the truck, the vault is probably open. 6 passengers, 6 bikes (2-3 in the bed, 4 on a hitch rack... or sometimes 7 passengers with 1 or 2 in the bed with the bikes!

The less desirable option is using the same type of cover they are using now but store it under the roof as accordion folding system Instead of rolling it. There would be less of it to store since the vertical part of it in back panel is eliminated. longevity may not be as good with mechanics and solar on this option.

I am OK with manual vault operation if motor + gears/belts are heavy, large or difficult to fit.
The more I think about this, the less I think there is a better place to stash the vault cover. The rear portion of the roof could just be a solar module while the vault remains the way it is.
Sponsored