Got my Foundation Series invite for Christmas!

OP
OP
SGTChilidog

SGTChilidog

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Just for clarification, I wouldn't actually practice charging while driving; this is all just theoretical, as far as I'm concerned.
Sponsored

DaveDUtah

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Promaster,Prius,Odyssey,Corolla. ~CyberTrk,Aptera.
Country flag
I saw a video on YouTube where someone managed to get a Model 3 to run while charging from a large LiFePO4 battery and inverter in the back seat. That led to me to wonder if I could use the big battery and inverter in my trailer to charge while en-route, using the mobile adapter. I hadn't considered my generator though - that's an interesting twist on the idea.

Right now, the area that has me most concerned about towing range is the Glen Canyon-Capital Reef-Escalante triangle. My wife and I spend a lot of time with our 4-wheeler and boat in that part of Utah. Our trips are always multi-day trips, so there's plenty of time to charge, once we get to a camp site. But man... a SuperCharger in Hanksville, and maybe another in Ticaboo, would be awfully nice.
Yeah, I can't find a video I watched about an EV (Rivian? I can't remember) towing a camp trailer across I-70's charging desert from Green River to Salina, and he ran out of battery. But no fear, he used the trailer's generator to charge the EV. It took overnight to recharge just a dozen miles or so, and he ran out of gas for the generator. He still couldn't make it to Salina, so I think he unhooked, drove just the truck, ran out of battery, got towed to Salina, charged up, and returned for the trailer he had abandoned on the roadside. What should have taken a few hours turned into a many-day ordeal.
FWIW, I have a reservation on a 600 mile Aptera that I plan to use, among other things, to explore that area of Utah. At least with the Aptera, you can get up to 40 miles of range just from solar, and that's an excellent area for harvesting solar!

OP
OP
SGTChilidog

SGTChilidog

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Yeah, I can't find a video I watched about an EV (Rivian? I can't remember) towing a camp trailer across I-70's charging desert from Green River to Salina, and he ran out of battery. But no fear, he used the trailer's generator to charge the EV. It took overnight to recharge just a dozen miles or so, and he ran out of gas for the generator. He still couldn't make it to Salina, so I think he unhooked, drove just the truck, ran out of battery, got towed to Salina, charged up, and returned for the trailer he had abandoned on the roadside. What should have taken a few hours turned into a many-day ordeal.
FWIW, I have a reservation on a 600 mile Aptera that I plan to use, among other things, to explore that area of Utah. At least with the Aptera, you can get up to 40 miles of range just from solar, and that's an excellent area for harvesting solar!
Nice! I have a reservation on an Aptera as well. :-D

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
I saw a video on YouTube where someone managed to get a Model 3 to run while charging from a large LiFePO4 battery and inverter in the back seat. That led to me to wonder if I could use the big battery and inverter in my trailer to charge while en-route, using the mobile adapter. I hadn't considered my generator though - that's an interesting twist on the idea.

Right now, the area that has me most concerned about towing range is the Glen Canyon-Capital Reef-Escalante triangle. My wife and I spend a lot of time with our 4-wheeler and boat in that part of Utah. Our trips are always multi-day trips, so there's plenty of time to charge, once we get to a camp site. But man... a SuperCharger in Hanksville, and maybe another in Ticaboo, would be awfully nice.
Something to remember/consider...

The S3XY lineup uses a 400V main battery cluster, while the CT uses an 800V pack, which, while you charge it, splits the pack into two 400V packs through their magic electronic box. I’m going to guess it would be a touch more than slightly difficult to charge and discharge at the same time.

OP
OP
SGTChilidog

SGTChilidog

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
That's an excellent point. It seems highly unlikely Tesla would bother with electrical wizardry to parallel charge the two 400v halves while discharging in an 800v series. And all that to do something against their intended operating conditions.

Nice catch!
Sponsored