Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
For years, so much debate about prices. End of the day, the sharp end of value, volume and maximum profit won over.

I would not be surprised if the foundation offer was still around in 2028 lol
Sponsored

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
For years, so much debate about prices. End of the day, the sharp end of value, volume and maximum profit won over.

I would not be surprised if the foundation offer was still around in 2028 lol
I think that's somewhat of a cynical take. I don't see it as "maximum profit won over", I think maximizing revenues now is a way to start paying down on the billions invested in Cybertruck development sooner, in order to have the ability to lower the price of entry sooner, as production volumes increase. This strategy de-risks the production ramp from the threat of stalling prematurely, when cost per unit is high.

If the goal is precipitate the transition to sustainable energy in the face of unrelenting challenges, this is how you do it. Watch how this plays out over 2-3 years.

Jarotex

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Silverado Duramax
Occupation
Real estate/construction
Country flag
I'm confident that "foundation series" will continue to live on as a "better value" for anyone planning on purchasing FSD, and that non-foundation series models will have a higher base price after this order period.

The trucks will definitely not be immediately $20k cheaper after this order period.

My estimate is that the non FS AWD cybertruck will cost $85k, and that FSD will increase in price from $12k to $15k.

So if you don't want FSD you'll save some cash. And if you bought FS, you won't. feel ripped off.
Prices are definitely not coming down after this first run of trucks. If they do, the truck will be less than what it is now in some way.

Longranger

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GTI
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If the foundation series is the best value CT that will ever be offered I will be excluded from ownership. There are too many other alternatives that are more cost effective. Guess I am simply not wealthy enough.

Bartman

First Name
Bart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y
Country flag
If I had unlimited dough, I would order the FS. But I've never even used the autopilot that came with all my Tesla's, except to see what it was, then I was like OK that's neat, but not going to ever use it. So there is no added value to me for the FSD. I already have two wall chargers and two mobile chargers, so don't need those. However, I would like the $7,500 credit if it's available with the cheaper non-FS.

Also, If I'm not going to have an opportunity to take delivery of a Cybertruck till the end of 2024, due to my place in line (I'm at about 210K in line according to the "delivery guestimator"), I'd rather get a 2025 Model Year anyways, in the beginning of next year, because that's better resale value for me if I decide to sell it after a year of enjoying it.... I believe Tesla will keep the AWD at less than 80K when moving to non-FS, because due to competition with other trucks <80K, it's going to hurt sales if they jack it up higher than that. I want a Cybertruck, but I will buy a Rivian or Lightning if I can't get an AWD for under 80K.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Art138

Art138

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP,Ferrari Pista,Ford GT & CYBERBEAST ordered
Country flag
If I had unlimited dough, I would order the FS. But I've never even used the autopilot that came with all my Tesla's, except to see what it was, then I was like OK that's neat, but not going to ever use it. So there is no added value to me for the FSD. I already have two wall chargers and two mobile chargers, so don't need those. However, I would like the $7,500 credit if it's available with the cheaper non-FS.

Also, If I'm not going to have an opportunity to take delivery of a Cybertruck till the end of 2024, due to my place in line (I'm at about 210K in line according to the "delivery guestimator"), I'd rather get a 2025 Model Year anyways, in the beginning of next year, because that's better resale value for me if I decide to sell it after a year of enjoying it....
It’s all driven by demand; the FS series could well extend past 24. I would not put much faith in the delivery guesstimator…. I did not expect my invite until the summer.

Bartman

First Name
Bart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y
Country flag
It’s all driven by demand; the FS series could well extend past 24. I would not put much faith in the delivery guesstimator…. I did not expect my invite until the summer.
I think you are right. Tesla is really redefining the definition of what people think of, when they hear "Limited Edition".

They say "You are invited to order your Foundation Series Cybertruck, which is fully optioned and includes limited-edition laser-etched badging, premium accessories, charging equipment with Powershare home backup hardware, all-terrain tires, Full-Self Driving capability, and more."

If limited-edition means however many people are willing to pay a premium to cut the line and receive a free gift basket, it seems like a stretch to call it a limited-edition. I mean come on, tell us how many it's limited to, so the buyer can decide (on the merits of being a limited-edition), what premium the limited-edition is worth. It's bullcrap, they should just call it what it really is..... In actuality they should say "Pay us 20K more and you'll get to cut the line and we'll throw in some free shit!", because that's what it is. Limited? Not so much, but OK, If you say so.

I'll put this on my Cybertruck when I get it for $30.

https://tesbros.com/products/foundation-badges-for-cybertruck?variant=44489425617114

Last edited:

Rockwell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model Y, 2024 Cybertruck AWD FS
Country flag
Same here, got our invite yesterday, RN11288xxx, and placed our order for the AWD FS this morning. Delivery estimated March-May. There was no choice offered for non-FS.

Spacenoddle

First Name
Nan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Foundation series invites are almost done
The invites we are seeing in February are what remain of recoup of unconverted invites from the initial wave, back in December. The number of foundation series trucks is pretty much fixed at 15k or so.
There are lots of 11286 and 11287 orders for past a few days. Now we are seeing 11288 invites coming today.
I think you are right. Tesla is really redefining the definition of what people think of, when they hear "Limited Edition".

They say "You are invited to order your Foundation Series Cybertruck, which is fully optioned and includes limited-edition laser-etched badging, premium accessories, charging equipment with Powershare home backup hardware, all-terrain tires, Full-Self Driving capability, and more."

If limited-edition means however many people are willing to pay a premium to cut the line and receive a free gift basket, it seems like a stretch to call it a limited-edition. I mean come on, tell us how many it's limited to, so the buyer can decide (on the merits of being a limited-edition), what premium the limited-edition is worth. It's bullcrap, they should just call it what it really is..... In actuality they should say "Pay us 20K more and you'll get to cut the line and we'll throw in some free shit!", because that's what it is. Limited? Not so much, but OK, If you say so.
Yes, this limited edition indeed means market markup like other dealership, but at least they give something back for musk said " we can drastically increase the price but don't feel right" thing. I do believe even without throwing these "add-on"s, there are still enough demand for them to have the FSCT only for 2024 or beyond.

for function spec wise, is FSCT the best value? Hell no, but for the market best value? Hell yes. So far.

cgladue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model S 75D, 2018 Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
its always hilarious to hear people whine about the price of their car going down, if you are a frequent trader that's the price you pay, same with iPhones and any consumer item, these cars aren't investments they depreciate, especially at times of high interest rates. do i care my 2017 Model S i bought for 100k+ is now worth like 20k no and no one else should be either.

Beyond

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Austin Model Y LR, Subie Fozzie & Cybertruck day1
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I received my invite to order a couple days ago. Can't afford 100k with no rebate. Disappointed. I originally was going to use the CT for "camping" but because of the shortened bed and no pass through my Model Y is arguably better for that. Slept in it a few times, once with an attached tent and a couple times without. Plenty of length for sleeping and comfortable even though the weather was cold. Camping mode is great.

As I understand it I just ignore the invite and am still in line for the non FS version? No action required?

Actually it would be great if Tesla did something like Rivian did with the R1T/R1S. Add a similar model to the CT but ditch the bed and extend the cab SUV style. I think the demand would be large. The Model X doesn't really work for a lot of us as an SUV because there's no way to carry canoes or kayaks, etc. Self presenting door handles, auto open doors, gull wing doors, etc. Don't need them, don't want them. Just superfluous, expensive things to break. No worries to people that want that stuff, but I don't.

Cybertruck2024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning and Model 3
Country flag
I received my invite to order a couple days ago. Can't afford 100k with no rebate. Disappointed. I originally was going to use the CT for "camping" but because of the shortened bed and no pass through my Model Y is arguably better for that. Slept in it a few times, once with an attached tent and a couple times without. Plenty of length for sleeping and comfortable even though the weather was cold. Camping mode is great.

As I understand it I just ignore the invite and am still in line for the non FS version? No action required?

Actually it would be great if Tesla did something like Rivian did with the R1T/R1S. Add a similar model to the CT but ditch the bed and extend the cab SUV style. I think the demand would be large. The Model X doesn't really work for a lot of us as an SUV because there's no way to carry canoes or kayaks, etc. Self presenting door handles, auto open doors, gull wing doors, etc. Don't need them, don't want them. Just superfluous, expensive things to break. No worries to people that want that stuff, but I don't.
With the cost that went into making the CT, it would be crazy if Tesla didn't expand the design across models. Rivian and Hummer both made a SUV version of their trucks, it seems like an easy way to push demand back up when the truck buyers run dry.

cgladue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model S 75D, 2018 Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
If I bought any other Tesla new, I likely wouldn't get FSD again, I feel fleeced buying it in my 2021 M3P. However, I wouldn't ever buy a Tesla without EAP. These EAP features all work, I use summon almost every day and it's incredibly helpful.

The fact FSD is locked in for the same price as EAP, that's reason enough to take the plunge. It's unlikely FSD will ever fulfill its promise, but EAP is already doing what it claims and it's worth every penny. If FSD does get there at some point, consider it free! If it doesn't, you just got EAP for a fair price.
in what universe do you live where EAP is worth 12k?!?