Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Leaf
Occupation
Nerd
Country flag
No interest in the F150 Lightning?
I got burned with Ford on a previous vehicle, an Explorer. It was a good truck, fun to drive, that I bought used. It had several years but relatively low mileage (<80K mi), engine and transmission seemed OK, but super cheap ($1500) with lots to repair. So I jumped in and fixed a bunch of stuff, no add-ons, just fixing to original condition. I quickly realized that most of it should not have failed at such a low mileage (wheel bearings, thermostat manifold, cabin temp control, electric windows, AC compressor, ...), and most of it was caused by bad engineering (compromised design to save pennies). But the issue that made me loose complete confidence was the timing chain guide failure which totaled the engine. The original part was molded plastic, and of course it broke after 15 years... The timing chain fix alone cost more than the truck, and I still had the potential for the same kind of issues (i.e. replaced with a used engine), so I sold it after that. That Ford Single-OverHead-Cam 4.0l V6 engine has 4 (four) timing chains !!?? And that's it, Ford ... never again.
Sponsored

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
I got burned with Ford on a previous vehicle, an Explorer. It was a good truck, fun to drive, that I bought used. It had several years but relatively low mileage (<80K mi), engine and transmission seemed OK, but super cheap ($1500) with lots to repair. So I jumped in and fixed a bunch of stuff, no add-ons, just fixing to original condition. I quickly realized that most of it should not have failed at such a low mileage (wheel bearings, thermostat manifold, cabin temp control, electric windows, AC compressor, ...), and most of it was caused by bad engineering (compromised design to save pennies). But the issue that made me loose complete confidence was the timing chain guide failure which totaled the engine. The original part was molded plastic, and of course it broke after 15 years... The timing chain fix alone cost more than the truck, and I still had the potential for the same kind of issues (i.e. replaced with a used engine), so I sold it after that. That Ford Single-OverHead-Cam 4.0l V6 engine has 4 (four) timing chains !!?? And that's it, Ford ... never again.
It is publicly known that FORDā€™s are built to last. Its officially called ā€œengineered obsolescenceā€. FORD pickup run forever then they fall apart.
You bought one that passed it ā€œbuilt to lastā€ point and FORD engineered obsolescence ā€“ no amount of money couldā€™ve caught up to planned failure.

Rutrow

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, CyberTruck Tri-motor reservation
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
I followed Atlis for quite a while (still getting "Last chance to invest!!!" emails for the last year) but the harder you look, the worse they seem. The prototype they're building is about 8 feet tall and made of plate steel. The floorboard thickness makes me think they're going with about a >300 kWh battery. šŸ˜² They seem to be targeting the F-650 market, which isn't big enough to sustain a start-up company. It'll be a very niche market that wants that kind of capability AND the range that Electric vehicles will be able to deliver this decade. I don't see a future for Atlis.

OP
OP
aeronaturel

aeronaturel

First Name
Louis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Leaf
Occupation
Nerd
Country flag
It is publicly known that FORDā€™s are built to last. Its officially called ā€œengineered obsolescenceā€. FORD pickup run forever then they fall apart.
You bought one that passed it ā€œbuilt to lastā€ point and FORD engineered obsolescence ā€“ no amount of money couldā€™ve caught up to planned failure.
I would not agree that "FORD's are build to last", unless you mean that 80,000mi corresponds to the engineered obsolescence ??