Half Range Extender...?

BayouCityBob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3
Country flag
It looks like the current range extender that adds 130 miles (target 160 miles) to the dual will chew up about 2 feet of bed space. For my money, a 65 mile extender (80 mile target) that only consumes 1 foot would be the sweet spot that cause me to grab it. Anyone else up for a half range extender?
Sponsored

C T Rick

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Dodge Sprinter 3500, 2015 Nissan NV 3500, 2013 Chevy Traverse
Occupation
Plumbing Contractor
Country flag
The rear storage vault would be ideal. It's pretty uselss when the truck is loaded or you install a roll out tool box. The question is with the added weight and possibly coolant lines and power lines, can it be placed way back there? If it could, how large of a pack can be placed there instead of the storage bin?

Rick

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Like with all "good" drinking games, I'll start first and take the bottom half. :unsure: ;)

SentinelOne

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
See Sig
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I'll take a 4'x6'x8xmm sheet across the full bed bottom...can put dirt bikes on tap! Niche use case but they're not going to fit with -2f't in usable bed length!

Gene

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y.
Occupation
Investor
Country flag
Absolutely, I was thinking the exct same thing. 1/2 the ranger extender saves the weight and only loses 1 foot of bedlength? I'd be a buyer!

AirPierre

First Name
Elmer T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tri-motor
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
Make it as big as will fit under the rear seats and user removable for when you don’t need it.

Scott Beall

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Grand Cherokee (dd), 1966 Mustang, 1967 Corv
Country flag
Yes and you could still haul 8' lumber or 4 X 8 plywood with only a little hanging over the open tailgate. Ideal for me.

Coolbreeze704

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y, 23 Lightning, CyberTruck (someday)
Occupation
GM Manufactured Homes
Country flag
It looks like the current range extender that adds 130 miles (target 160 miles) to the dual will chew up about 2 feet of bed space. For my money, a 65 mile extender (80 mile target) that only consumes 1 foot would be the sweet spot that cause me to grab it. Anyone else up for a half range extender?
That is actually a great idea. Why not offer different size bedpack options? 60/70 mile pack could leave an adequate size bed still and give a sweet spot in range for those that want/need.

PS: I hope my new avatar isn't throwing people off. This is my dog Hobbs. Sad story, was born with just a head.

PSS: Hobbs was removed and my dog Mia staring out on the lake was inserted sinces Hobb's floating head picture was to odd. Poor Hobb's

Last edited:

ED_SFO

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
I was thinking the same but If I was going into non charging territory for camping or whatever...I would just make room for a semi compact generator. Might be more beneficial, cheaper and more useful than a battery pack I might use the juice from a couple times a year with the weight penalty everyday. For instance a honda eu7000is generator is $5k and that super high end and way cheaper than an add on battery. This could add about 50 miles of range in 2 hours if needed.

Last edited:

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, SOON to be Cybertruck
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
After having driven Teslas for over 5 years and pulled a boat that sucked up all my electrons in my Model Y last year, my biggest question is why?

If you are not towing anything, then honestly, you don't need it. That's range anxiety talking.

If you are towing something, then I don't think that it is enough to worry about.

So what if your vehicle had a range of only 75 miles? Yep, with my horrendously non-aerodynamic boat, that's what my Model Y got.
So that's worthless? Not really, I went from North of Atlanta to Tampa FL with the boat in tow (and back).

Without the boat, December had us going from Atlanta to Orlando to Tampa to Orlando to Atlanta to Nashville to Branson Mo and back to Atlanta through Memphis in my Model Y. That's a 3 year old car with about 290 mile range on it now.

But the most important thing is how often are you going to use it?