Range Extender Purchase Dependency

Speedr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual Motor Cybertruck
Country flag
“Ford - not a waste of money” or “makes a good short-term placeholder until a legit electric truck hits the market”…not very glowing tag lines. Just too bad we still don’t have a good bet after 4.5 yrs in line
Glad you're at least getting an EV. If you can get it for a bargain, and it meets your need (although the Cybertruck doesn't?!?), then definitely go for it.

Quick question: Have you owned a Tesla before?
Sponsored

OP
OP

Love2Cyber

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model X, Cyber Tri-Motor
Country flag
Glad you're at least getting an EV. If you can get it for a bargain, and it meets your need (although the Cybertruck doesn't?!?), then definitely go for it.

Quick question: Have you owned a Tesla before?
Yeah - an x previous, and currently an s p100d ludicrous and a model 3 lr. They are all best in class - and bought them all after about 20-30k miles used. Saved about 30-50% off sticker.

just wish this one was somewhere around what was promised after so many years. Or that it was much much better than competition at such a premium. All that said - my need for a promise on range is the breaker

Cybertruck2024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning and Model 3
Country flag
If you want EV and towing, why not get the Silverado? Seems like the best choice if that's your primary criteria.

One point on Lightning, the charge port is in the front, but too far back for supercharger cords to reach. I own one and I'm near a magic dock station, I need to pull in sideways and take up multiple spots. It is however a fantastic truck and I do have doubts the CT is worth the markup, but I'm still taking the CT plunge. It's the reason I picked the Beast, it will at least feel like I'm getting a premium when I floor the CT, I am pretty sure the AWD would've given me buyer's remorse.

Speedr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual Motor Cybertruck
Country flag
The reason I ask is, I too have owned a lot of Tesla's (2017 Model S 100D) and currently own a 2021 Model 3, 2020 Model Y LR, and a 2023 Model S Plaid.

We pull jet skis with the Y, and believe it or not, they are the worst thing to tow on the Interstate since they have a horrible drag coefficient! Very surprising!

Anyway, we bought a 4 door Ford Bronco (a factory lifted one with 35s) just for towing and taking trips with our jet skis. It was sooo much better than our 4 door Jeep Wrangler that we lifted with 35's. We owned and loved it for 7 years before getting the 2017 Model S. The Bronco, which was a fantastic 4wd vehicle that absolutely was a much better vehicle than the Jeep every was. It's like they fixed every single complaint Jeep owners had. And it rode great at 75 mph with the 35s!

I'm telling you all this because we only had it for 4 months! Driving home one day, with the top off, sun setting, and my dog sitting next to me, I thought to myself...I really hate this thing. Luckily, due to insane used car prices, I only lost a few thousand dollars in the whole deal (selling the hardtop separately on this dual top model was a coup). Bought the Plaid right after.

So the conclusion was that I'd only like EVs from now on. Well, last weekend Hertz didn't have any Tesla's, and since we weren't driving more than a hundred miles or so, we took the Kia EV6. Wow! This is supposed to be the next best EV after Tesla. Wow! There's a long list of negatives. Suffice it to say, my wife just gives a thumbs down when anyone asks her opinion as I'm telling this story.

The point of this long post is just to let you know, you might want to rent a Lightning or take it for a LONG test drive and make sure you're ready to go back to a "Normal" car again (i.e. confirming some message on the infotainment screen every time, turning on the seat warmers, again. Setting regen, again, EVERY...TIME...YOU...START...THE...CAR).

Good luck!

OP
OP

Love2Cyber

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The reason I ask is, I too have owned a lot of Tesla's (2017 Model S 100D) and currently own a 2021 Model 3, 2020 Model Y LR, and a 2023 Model S Plaid.

We pull jet skis with the Y, and believe it or not, they are the worst thing to tow on the Interstate since they have a horrible drag coefficient! Very surprising!

Anyway, we bought a 4 door Ford Bronco (a factory lifted one with 35s) just for towing and taking trips with our jet skis. It was sooo much better than our 4 door Jeep Wrangler that we lifted with 35's. We owned and loved it for 7 years before getting the 2017 Model S. The Bronco, which was a fantastic 4wd vehicle that absolutely was a much better vehicle than the Jeep every was. It's like they fixed every single complaint Jeep owners had. And it rode great at 75 mph with the 35s!

I'm telling you all this because we only had it for 4 months! Driving home one day, with the top off, sun setting, and my dog sitting next to me, I thought to myself...I really hate this thing. Luckily, due to insane used car prices, I only lost a few thousand dollars in the whole deal (selling the hardtop separately on this dual top model was a coup). Bought the Plaid right after.

So the conclusion was that I'd only like EVs from now on. Well, last weekend Hertz didn't have any Tesla's, and since we weren't driving more than a hundred miles or so, we took the Kia EV6. Wow! This is supposed to be the next best EV after Tesla. Wow! There's a long list of negatives. Suffice it to say, my wife just gives a thumbs down when anyone asks her opinion as I'm telling this story.

The point of this long post is just to let you know, you might want to rent a Lightning or take it for a LONG test drive and make sure you're ready to go back to a "Normal" car again (i.e. confirming some message on the infotainment screen every time, turning on the seat warmers, again. Setting regen, again, EVERY...TIME...YOU...START...THE...CAR).

Good luck!
I hear you. I need a truck and don't want to deal with gas vehicles anymore. I also agree with the concept of trying a vehicle first and always having exit options ( I go through a car every 2 years or so :)). That's primarily what has me worried. I can see the lightning losing value, but not a ton much more, with where competition pricing is settling - and as they gain access to Tesla SC's. And, comparatively, if I'm not totally satisfied with the CT - I can't even sell it on the open market for a year! That's a big right to give up when I'm being charged a $20k early adopter fee, losing access to a tax break, and have no real assurance that the range will ever be there...after forking over $110k after tax?

Seems weird that a new Tesla is hitting the market at such a disadvantage - slower, less range (or even at best), less capacity (tiny frunk too), and you have to pay more for a color or basic exterior protection? I'm plugging my ears to the Musk sirens songs recently...seems fishy...

OP
OP

Love2Cyber

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Except - new Lightnings are being sold with NACS adapters / have access to the Tesla SC network. I'm with you - this is a HUGE factor, but Tesla has no differentiation any more. One consideration - the CT will take advantage of 250kw, Lighting only goes 150kw.

OP
OP

Love2Cyber

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ford has promised NACS adapters to anyone who owns a lightning or EV mustang...but, they are taking awhile. However, 2023 and 2024 new vehicles get adapters right away. The 2023s are discounted, because - they've been sitting. And, supply of 2024s should be slow coming as Ford has slowed production. Thinking the 2023s will go quickly now, with new incentives, and pricing like this won't happen again as production slows and competition hits the market at much higher prices.

That said - there really isn't a ven diagram where Ford truck buyers crosses over with luxury and EV buyers. They may have structural brand issues with the lightning. That said, I shop substance over brand...or brand when it represents substance.

Cybertruck2024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning and Model 3
Country flag
I hear you. I need a truck and don't want to deal with gas vehicles anymore. I also agree with the concept of trying a vehicle first and always having exit options ( I go through a car every 2 years or so :)). That's primarily what has me worried. I can see the lightning losing value, but not a ton much more, with where competition pricing is settling - and as they gain access to Tesla SC's. And, comparatively, if I'm not totally satisfied with the CT - I can't even sell it on the open market for a year! That's a big right to give up when I'm being charged a $20k early adopter fee, losing access to a tax break, and have no real assurance that the range will ever be there...after forking over $110k after tax?

Seems weird that a new Tesla is hitting the market at such a disadvantage - slower, less range (or even at best), less capacity (tiny frunk too), and you have to pay more for a color or basic exterior protection? I'm plugging my ears to the Musk sirens songs recently...seems fishy...

I figure I'm paying $40k for the look of the CT. If I was going purely based on function, the Lightning is the better deal. I'm shallow and the look of the CT is exactly what I've been waiting for since I was a kid. If you get a 2023 Lariat with a good discount, you're right that you're getting more bang for your buck, if looks don't matter. I've seen 0-60 in a Lightning in 3.8 seconds, so you'll even get to make the AWD CT owners feel bad at a red light... just don't line up against a Beast.

The adapters have just been added to Ford's website, it just isn't turned on for offer yet. The 22 and 23 Lightnings will be able to get one in the next few months, I'd bet all existing owners have them by the summer.

CyberTW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y &3
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
Yeah, that’s my point. They both suck at towing equally, which is why neither is a long term investment. If I thought the ct was - even with another 16k (60k total price difference) I’d go with it. Now the aim is to minimize massive depreciation and interest until a true long-term truck comes out

Even if RE becomes a thing, better better battery density will quickly make this solution obsolete.

anyway - wish the ct made sense. Perhaps I’ll keep the res anyway and sell black market style so you can jump ahead
I am so far down the lists, they might have the CT dialed in better by my time.. 2-3 years probably [sigh]
Sponsored