Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I am number 283422 in line to buy a CyberTruck. I am NOT a fan anything. I am 71 years old and cannot be a fan of anything. Too old for that sentiment. BUT, I have promised my geriatric friend (86 years old and 13 years my senior in highschool) when he was 82 that I will take him to Wholefoods for icecream and cake in my Cybertruck. I also promised the neighbor's three sons the same thing on a different day. The list is growing because I have 15 nieces and nephews with countless grand nieces and nephews present or on the way... So I will keep my promise to all of the above and will buy a CyberTruck.

I never write on this forum, because I am afraid I would have to respond to someone replying to my note and say something which requires replying.

I will buy my Cybertruck when it is my turn. This will be the last car I will ever buy before they take away my drivers license (or before I voluntarily give up driving).

The way I look at this is Tri-motor with 500+ miles range is reduced to dual motor with 340 miles range. NO big deal. I'll get one and enjoy life while I can.

Live long and prosper everyone!

Coolbreeze704

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y, 23 Lightning, CyberTruck (someday)
Occupation
GM Manufactured Homes
Country flag
I believe there is some separation anxiety going on.

4 year engagement you were deeply in love with just let you know she wanted a much bigger house out of your price range and she walked into the arms of a much more attractive influencer (not MDR, possibly greggertruck but not sure since he erased his face on the one post of himself) with deep pockets instead.

Feeling insecure and need to make excuses so I going to make sure the worlds sees her as the problem and talk junk to cover myself.

cal

First Name
cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla plaid, 2012 Tundra
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I am number 283422 in line to buy a CyberTruck. I am NOT a fan anything. I am 71 years old and cannot be a fan of anything. Too old for that sentiment. BUT, I have promised my geriatric friend (86 years old and 13 years my senior in highschool) when he was 82 that I will take him to Wholefoods for icecream and cake in my Cybertruck. I also promised the neighbor's three sons the same thing on a different day. The list is growing because I have 15 nieces and nephews with countless grand nieces and nephews present or on the way... So I will keep my promise to all of the above and will buy a CyberTruck.

I never write on this forum, because I am afraid I would have to respond to someone replying to my note and say something which requires replying.

I will buy my Cybertruck when it is my turn. This will be the last car I will ever buy before they take away my drivers license (or before I voluntarily give up driving).

The way I look at this is Tri-motor with 500+ miles range is reduced to dual motor with 340 miles range. NO big deal. I'll get one and enjoy life while I can.

Live long and prosper everyone!
Yea I'm in the same boat. I a couple of years to place my CT reservation so I know it will be at least another couple of years before I get a call. Last year I realized that my window of useablity is getting shorter and shorter each year so I got a Lightning. Perfect for ME. Availible now. Does everything I need a truck to do. I don't care if the CT is better or worse. If I change my mind when Tesla eventually calls, I'll buy a CT. Just do what you want. You'll love driving an electric truck. I actually drive the Lightning more than the Plaid. Comfy and quiet and I love the powered frunk.

OP
OP
PilotPete

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
On Nov 29, 23, if someone had offered most everyone here the chance to buy a CT early, with the caveat that the software wasn’t completely finished, but they could have it a year sooner, I don’t know too many people that wouldn’t have taken that offer. Well, that’s what the early reservation numbers are being offered. The FSD/EAP/AP isn’t ready yet, nor are the manual diff locks, and a few other items. It’s not that they are being delivered WITHOUT those features, but those features aren’t enabled yet. OF course, the haters are posting right and left about how the CT doesn’t have FSD, and this and that are “missing”. Get real, no they aren’t. They just aren’t enabled. These are the same haters talking about the 2 million car “recall” that Tesla just had, and how they don’t have the service centers to support the “recall”. If you HAVE to have these features active BEFORE you will buy a CT, then don’t order a FS and delay your purchase until they are turned on. (Or you are…) Even if they sell 20,000 FS units, that means that 99%+ of the reservations won’t ever have that opportunity. So who cares! I would bet that for 90+% of us, all this stuff will be on and operational by the time they get around to asking us to order. So, as Eddie Murphy said to Bill Cosby; “Have a Coke and a smile and shut the front door!” Or, something like that…

BayouCityBob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3
Country flag
haters gonna hate --> lovers get heartbroken. The internet hath no fury like a Cybertruck fanboi being let down. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bkb13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
raptor
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Country flag
I’m far from a fanboy. I’m not even certain I’ll get a CT. But the fake indignation and propaganda is really obvious sometimes. But as they say, haters gonna hate.
This is 100% true. It is very obvious who was a jilted lover or who hates Elon for his politics.

And with this, you just outed yourself… prone to hyperbole much?

Or is it because you all are holders of TSLA that public opinion is a critical issue?
I think I’m more annoyed with disingenuous arguments that over exaggerate their positions. Maybe they discuss issues this way in their personal life. Very unhealthy…

So while agree with everything you’re saying, there’s a lot of BS being slung towards the CT, I can’t help but think the CT should be forced to withstand the same scrutiny as any other BEV truck. Even if it’s bullshit scrutiny.
Scrutiny is good. Disingenuous arguments bring down the IQ of the thread considerably. This is why we have a representative government.

Or they just get their jollies being a troll.
Consider for a moment that there might be people who hate Elon soo much they are willing to campaign against something that they have no interest in, for the purpose that they can make even one person back down from a purchase.

I generally avoid associating with (and having to listen to) the disgruntled.
Probably a good way to live life. I need to do more of this.

4 year engagement you were deeply in love with just let you know she wanted a much bigger house out of your price range and she walked into the arms of a much more attractive influencer
There is a large amount of cognitive dissonance at play.

I bet a large part of the hate is from people that eat this crap up.
Some people hate Elon's new politics. Too much hate for him and people who don’t bow to the political agenda of their choice. Politics is now a religion…

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, SOON to be Cybertruck
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Or they just get their jollies being a troll.

Consider for a moment that there might be people who hate Elon soo much they are willing to campaign against something that they have no interest in, for the purpose that they can make even one person back down from a purchase.

Some people hate Elon's new politics. Too much hate for him and people who don’t bow to the political agenda of their choice. Politics is now a religion…
Isn't that what I said?

And people who don't buy Tesla's because of Elon really should look into the leaders of all the products that they use. But I understand, people are driven by social media.

If social media says so, it must be true.

Bkb13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
raptor
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Country flag
Isn't that what I said?

And people who don't buy Tesla's because of Elon really should look into the leaders of all the products that they use. But I understand, people are driven by social media.

If social media says so, it must be true.
Yes! I was just dogpiling on your point.

lowtek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Plaid
Occupation
I do things.
Country flag
You were promised nothing. You were shown a concept vehicle and a list of aspiriations. It literally said "price and features may change" clear as day.

While throwing in 48v, steer by wire, etc.

False. Literally all of them have done or are currently doing this on halo vehicles. Have you tried to get a Raptor R?

False ... just ... false ... wow!

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Scrutiny is good. Disingenuous arguments bring down the IQ of the thread considerably.
for sure

Was only momentarily reveling in the fact that now disingenuous arguments are balancing in both directions.

Because for many members here, they’re now defending the CT against the exact same lines of thinking they have long adopted and leveled at other OEMs/vehicles.

I’ve long argued around here that disingenuous FUD direct d towards eg the Lightning would come back to bite Tesla fanbois, and works to undermine not just one OEM’s model, but all BEV trucks - which we should want to succeed (unless we’re putting our $TSLA ahead of our purported principles)

Here’s just one such post from back in May, which was a cross-post I’d made moths earlier on the F150 Lightning forum - which was specifically on the topic of range performance when towing. (That’s the next topic folks here should brace themselves for.)

——————————-

I think it applies somewhat equally here to us CT hopefuls - especially the part i here put in bold - because it is a point about not letting FUD and misinformation place a stain on BEVs generally, to the degree it's undeserved or misunderstood. People will run with the "story" that "BEVs have some magical inability to tow" even though that's not the fair critique.

"I feel like this is something we BEV truck owners need to better understand and explain to the skeptics

namely, that there is nothing special about BEV’s in these respects of mileage. It is not an issue with the BEVs, it’s an issue only if BEVs having small “tanks” and not enough gas stations.

the short(ish) version is this

• EPA hwy range test has an average speed in the low 50s - and just like and to the same degree as with an ICE vehicle, you won’t get near that EPA range if you’re pegging it at 75mph

• the most fuel efficient ICE F150 is EPA rated at 26mph highway, which means the Lightning’s 320 EPA is equivalent to an ICE F150 with a 12.3 gallon fuel tank - and just like with that ICE, you won’t get far on 12 gallons, especially if pegged at 75mph

• as for towing, ICE F150s also experience an ~50% range reduction with any material trailer - so just like an ICE F150, if you’re doing 75mph with a 12 gallon tank, you aren’t getting far

which is all to say, there isn’t anything materially different about the performance of the Lightning when it comes to range or towing. The difference comes in primarily with the fact that the Lightning’s “tank” is small, owing to the current state of battery technology, and the frequency of “fuel stations” is limited, owing to the current state of charging infrastructure.

Now at the end of the day, the range is comparatively low, there’s no getting around that. But it’s because modern ICE trucks have massive fuel tanks, and stations on every corner.

And when an ICE driver says “man, a real truck has to have more range than that” you might respond with “go back in time and hop in a 1981 F150 with a V8 and a 16 gallon fuel tank, and tell me how far “real trucks” can tow 7,500 pounds at 75mph” Back then, you towed slow (for fuel economy) and stopped often (of necessity).

We should stop being confused by, and even ourselves propagating the myth that, when it comes to range and towing performance there’s something inherently different from ICE trucks. There’s not. The physics of efficiency and aero are the same on both vehicles.

In that way, a Lightning owner upset about range and towing is like someone who buys an ICE f150 with a 12 gallon fuel tank and is frustrated with the “mystery” of not being able to drive all night long at 75mph.

Current battery technology means these trucks have a small fuel tank. That’s all. And with a small fuel tank, all the normal effects of physics on fuel economy simply means you will notice the effects more than if you were in a ICE truck with a 26 gallon tank. Especially when there’s not a station on every corner.

And if skeptics balk, just say “look, I’m kind of old school - I like a ‘real’ truck like back in the 1970s, when people weren’t so soft, afraid of planing trips carefully and taking it slow”

————————————
[And a companion response from here in this forum only, in connection with some members here painting themselves into corners regarding how the CT was going to not only have a 500mi pack, but magically circumvent the physics of range and towing:]

The F150, like the CT, converted many from ICE to BEV for the first time. Like myself. I’ve loved the idea of BEV, but need (want?) a full-sized truck. Now, here’s an option for one.

Accordingly, the Lightning has been subject to many critiques from two camps that need qualification:

First, first-time BEV buyers that don’t appreciate the quirks that are unique to all BEVs: e.g., performance effects of cold weather. Many first time BEV Tesla buyers go through these same learning curves. These folks need only education and acclimatizing.

Second, YouTubers and media outlets that are sensationalists. You yourself appear to reference these as the source of your opinions. And the CT is going to receive its fair share of lumps from these very same infuencer-wannabes. This group I ignore, about any manufacturer, and we all should.

BeastSlayer said:
I'm not sure if I can claim to be "informed buyer" but Ford corporate already texted and e-mailed me for the nth time and I'm still not doing my orders for precisely the same reasons you said are not true/happening.
If one of your “reasons” is towing performance, then you’re not an informed buyer. And, the CT isn’t going to perform any differently than the Lightning in this respect, except to the extent the CT offers a larger battery pack and better interstate charging infra.

If one of your “reasons” is cold weather performance, then you’re not an informed buyer. And the CT isn’t going to perform any differently than the Lightning in this respect, except to the extent the CT offers a larger battery pack and better interstate charging infra (and maybe heat pump).

That sort of list goes on.

But rather than acknowledging that the fundamental towing/cold weather performance between the Lightning and CT boil down to the (painfully obvious) differences in battery size and intrastate charging infra, you instead seem to just regurgitate YouTube FUD that is based on sloppy thinking.

If you think you’re waiting on a CT to not experience a >50% reduction in range while towing, you’re going to be disappointed.

If you think you’re waiting on a CT to not experience material reductions in range due to cold weather, you’re going to be disappointed.

To avoid these disappointments, you should focus on the actual, substantive, advantages of the CT in these respects: choose a trim with a far larger battery than any Lightning, and be prepared to stop and recharge at the better Tesla intrastate charge infra.

FarAway

First Name
I.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pontiac Torrent, TVR, F-250 Super Duty
Country flag
I think there are a lot of good points on both sides of this discussion. I'll try to summarize my thoughts, without emotion or hyperbole but facts.

-I am glad the CT is finally out. I am glad people are buying it. I also hope we get some big improvements in the next 12 months. Improvements that were not going to happen until the truck was in the hands of thousands of drivers. Tesla HAD to get the truck out to the public or it was in danger of falling behind the competition before it ever released.

-Whether the CT's initial "specifications" were goals or promises, to me that is just semantics, the fact is these aspirational specifications did set expectations that the CT, as released, falls well short of. The disappointment in that can be understood.

-The price increase, while certainly expected also seems to have exceeded inflation.

- The CT we received, rather than blowing away its competition, is squarely in the middle of the pack. It does notably standout in a few categories, but also lags in a few. The looks are a big plus, IMO. I think the technology and the SS body are all BIG advantages to the CT. I would like to see the CT exceed its peers in almost every category.

- The biggest CT plus is the Tesla brand. I trust Tesla more in the long run than any other EV manufacturer (go $TSLA!), with Ford running second. (I spent my morning seriously looking at the Lightning and if 4 years ago I knew what I know now, I would probably be driving a Lightning. Ford might not know EV's, but they DO know pickups and they are a quick study. I look forward to seeing their next generation. Tesla needs to be looking over their shoulder.)

- In the meantime, I hope the CT range improves. No anxiety, but I should be able to drive 90 miles to Richmond via I-95 (btw, if you are not doing 70-75 minimum, you are a hazard), in the winter, then spend a day in the city visit some friends, catch a movie and dinner and finally, drive home without having to charge... call it 230 miles all in. Based on the hands-on reviews I am reading; I am not 100% confident in that capability. With my eventual CT purchase we will remain a 2-car family, the other vehicle will necessarily be equipped with an ICE.

In summary, If the CT was going to be my only vehicle, I would have some hesitation about ordering today, but since we do have another car, I would order all the while preferring to wait a year with my fingers crossed.

MyKidCouldDrawThat

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No Tesla Yet
Country flag
Here is an "Auto Expert" AKA brain dead dirt bag with 381K subscribers that get their cookies rolling coal on Teslas.
Screenshot 2024-01-07 at 3.11.02 PM.png
I get suggested this guy and one or two other similar tubers. I just don't have the patience to even watch for laughs. Its more annoying than diehard Tesla fanboys.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.