lqdchkn

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT
Country flag
Since this thread is really only about the "feels", I'll add my $0.02.

The band is perfectly capable of performing the needed job over the lifetime of the vehicle.

For those thinking of 3D printing their own band spacer so that it "looks prettier", DON'T.
#1 3D printed plastics dont hold up to severe heat and this part will get hot. It will likely melt and create slack in your banding and then it's not doing its job setting you up for failure
#2 You dont know Tesla's preferred band tension spec. Get it too loose and it's worthless, get it too tight and it could create other failures.
Sponsored

Cebliminal

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R/T Durango, Harley Davidsons, Toyota Tundra 4x4 put deposit down for Cybertruck
Occupation
Executive Chef/Food & Beverage Director
Country flag
What happens if the paper dashboard gets wet. You know how the dashboards look in work trucks they are a catch all and get repeatedly wet With coffee, soda, rain Etc....

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag

DMC-81

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Transformers Camaro SS, 1985 Corvette Z51, Dodge Magnum R/T, 1981 DeLorean, CT reservation
Country flag
This ought to be embarrassing for Tesla. Full stop.

You can defend and posit reasons for Tesla to do / allow this or blame the messenger (Jalopnik), but it makes me question the company's adherence to reasonable Quality Control and their process for fixing problems that occur. The article states that the band-aid was done using different materials. That suggests that there isn't even a standard way to perform the "fix".

Tesla is not in the scrappy "do whatever it takes" start-up phase anymore. They are a highly valued international auto manufacturer. Elon was quoted years ago as saying that Tesla wanted to be the next GM. This is not the way. Do better.

I love the Cybertruck but I'd better not find anything remotely close to this amateur hack setup when I go over my $50 K+ truck at delivery.

MacGuyver would be proud, but I'm not impressed at this band-aid.

Last edited:

Frank W

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Retired Army 1975-1997
Country flag
There’s a story this morning regarding a MY where the glass roof came off while on the highway. I am confident that Tesla will work out the bugs.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
Someone must have partially pressed the ejector button.

"Dont press the little red button!"

CyberDingo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck dual engine
Occupation
Farmer
Country flag
I want a Wolverine with a 30x "rear" roof. I wonder how well a "glass" roof panel will last on a "work" truck, carrying pipes and other hard material, that sometimes comes loose or slips when being put on / off?

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
I want a Wolverine with a 30x "rear" roof. I wonder how well a "glass" roof panel will last on a "work" truck, carrying pipes and other hard material, that sometimes comes loose or slips when being put on / off?
yea, totally agree. the glass roof is cool and all but for a work truck it WILL get scratched .

most the cars I have owned have carried things on the roof without roof racks.
Sponsored