How expensive a machine is the 9k ton IDRA Giga Press?

Is the 9k IDRA giga press a million dollar machine?

• Total voters

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Inheritance is toxic for community, which is why it should be limited. See also, monarchies.

-Crissa
Only if you beleive in normal ownership structures and there is no excess, and the store of the inheritance is in currency. Otherwise you can consider it preparedness and a head start for your offspring or donationfor the next generation. If we want a world of plenty, we don't and shouldn't want to start from scratch every generation. In fact if we did we would not progress whatsoever. Think about how much infrastructure, technology, information and knowledge was available to you which was provided before you were born.

I think we should leave the planet better than we found it, but what we leave it with needs to be of substance. The inheritance we leave should improve the next generation. The best thing we can leave behind is the right ideas.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I thought I read somewhere that the 6K-Ton Gigapress was $100M (oh, I think it was actually a Munro video), so the 9K-Ton machine is probably more. Maybe that is wrong. He said that a company would have to make 100K units to make a gigapress practical.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I thought I read somewhere that the 6K-Ton Gigapress was $100M (oh, I think it was actually a Munro video), so the 9K-Ton machine is probably more. Maybe that is wrong. He said that a company would have to make 100K units to make a gigapress practical.
Thats airliner money. It's not by far as complicated, just massive? I'm not sure, I'd have guessed half of that?

If it does a million casts thats $100 per casting cost, plus another $100 for aluminium ingot (cast is around 100kg).

So around $250-300 per cast? Not bad really for what it does. That's nearly the same price as a good tyre.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Jeez that's cheap.

That machine could sit there for 15 years.. down to $20. (330,000 casts per year)

20 Casting Machine
5 Molds and maintenance
75 Aluminium at Tesla discount rate

250 or 100. Is still a crazy cheap figure.

And the machine will run by Robot.

Elon did say, in the future sell prices will be determined by weight of raw materials and operations

OP
OP
Cyberman

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
see that buzzard top right?

it’s circling the corpse of taste
No way man. Look it up, it's a real house design, complete with ultimate security. If I ever When I win the lottery, I'm gettin' that bitch built! I can't be the only one that thinks this way.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Look it up, it's a real house design
The fact that someone modeled a CT-inspired house design is relevant to what point?

Someone went so far as to build this one

Tesla Cybertruck How expensive a machine is the 9k ton IDRA  Giga Press? 1665760130085

I can't be the only one that thinks this way.
on the contrary, far from thinking you’re alone, my dislike for the CT house concept stems specifically from the notion of a small horde of Tesla fanboy-billionaires (or aspiring lottery winners) confusing personal taste with being the first on the block to execute on an uninteresting concept (eg what if we made a house inspired by a Boot/CT?!).

that said, there’s an ass for every seat!

OP
OP
Cyberman

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
The fact that someone modeled a CT-inspired house design is relevant to what point?

Someone went so far as to build this one

1665760130085.jpeg

on the contrary, far from thinking you’re alone, my dislike for the CT house concept stems specifically from the notion of a small horde of Tesla fanboy-billionaires (or aspiring lottery winners) confusing personal taste with being the first on the block to execute on an uninteresting concept (eg what if we made a house inspired by a Boot/CT?!).

that said, there’s an ass for every seat!
You keep your boot house, Mr. Value. I'm perfectly comfortable with the classy, futuristic look of the Cyberhouse. Far from uninteresting, I think it's the most avant-garde design I've seen in years, full of innovation and security features. Your boot house, not so much. I like my dream house to be inspired by stainless steel rockets to fuckin' Mars, and tanks from the future. Are you sure you're not mad 'cause you didn't get invited?

You're dismissed.

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
just the foundation for it is probably 1-2M

my guess for the machine:
around 3,969,369 Tons of pennies
or about 4000k Tons

Last edited:

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Right? It’s a render.

First Principles of Architecture “Do not violate the integrity of the material” (i.e. no upsidedown brick soffits, no expensive s.s. wings doing zero structurally)
The only innovations new to housing are the stolen silhouette in s.s. and vented relief executed inverted into the skin reflected in concrete surround.

Concrete surround both holds heat and reflects up onto structure which gets added into heat calcs for the structure. Nothing indicates from the garage door back anything other than conventional floor plan.

The cutaway faux tonneau hints either patio or indoor/outdoor room. In the desert a reverse floorplan counter sunk below grade would be cool. Cooler for sleeping quarters and the Kitchen and living spaces enjoying the second floor outdoors when available. Indoors when necessary. Such a reverse affords outdoor dining without investment in loge or outdoor kitchen., which is cool. Passive cooling enmasse is using one side of skin, taking advantage of a local, dominant breeze that’s found in the desert. It should be super efficient if 104°F is comfortable with evaporation from the air exchange.

Due to slope the first floor would enjoy higher ceiling, cooling the rooms and mezzanine overhanging the first floor appears a natural. Guessing beyond that, orientation might be facing North, a good thing. South inane. Glazing is minimal if the skin slit is to be interpreted as natural light for the upper deck.

So what the hell is inside the enclosed sailplanes? Bathrooms? Storage? Stair to underground bunker? Workshop?

The last two fit my use case. But it does afford pre-built offsite steel fabrication. Onsite erection but man, the metal creep from thermal expansion is huuuge. I would be a straight forward build if thermal breaks were engineered into the skin. Tons of insulation follow for the skin. Then you are building a second structure within to live. That’s the dealbreaker. But its clever, unicorn and recycles.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
I think it's the most avant-garde design I've seen in years
me thinks you don’t know what “avant garde” means

The object (and ideas) in question is a house that itself is an homage to another person’s ideas and object’s design - it’s even named “The CyberTruck House”

Tesla Cybertruck How expensive a machine is the 9k ton IDRA  Giga Press? BAEA5E30-A7DB-4C8E-A5A6-FD627327F273

I can hardly think of anything less avant garde than an architecture student’s render-musing of “bro, but like, what if the CyberTruck was … wait for it … a house”

An “avant garde” steel house is more like Robert Bruno’s “Steel House,” built by him single-handed over the course 30 years in a cow pasture just outside Lubbock, Texas

Tesla Cybertruck How expensive a machine is the 9k ton IDRA  Giga Press? A2B0E96E-C710-4054-AAED-B6DD54982534

The CyberTruck House, on the other hand, is the architectural equivalent of this:

Tesla Cybertruck How expensive a machine is the 9k ton IDRA  Giga Press? 2ADA0333-7C45-435B-BC2A-2B567705910A