How many are buying CT that DONT actually NEED a truck?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I’m still kind of in shock though after watching the Z Motor Reviews cybertruck vs cybertruck finalized cybertruck video.
I don't know. Making it smaller may have made those edges less severe, but we don't actually have pictures yet. Lowering the back corner would make it easier to reach into the bed when loaded.

-Crissa

Sponsored

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
it isn't really a truck. It has a "vault" not a bed. It is a Posh Utility Vehicle.
OK. I guess my Ford F-150 Supercab 4x4 with a 6.5' bed covered with a folding, hard tonneau cover isn't a truck either. Dang, I thought it was a truck. I mean, it tows like a truck and it hauls like a truck so I guess I've been fooled all this time.

Question: If I unfold (open) the tonneau cover does it turn back into a truck?:unsure:

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
I am sure if you ask Tesla if it is an SUV or a Truck? This is a likely response:

‘’Are you interested in buying a truck? or SUV?”

Labels only matter if you care what other people think. Call it what you like, use it the way it works for you, get on the road, full speed ahead, damn the lables.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That doesn't sound right to me. A truck is a truck because of it's capabilities, not because of the name applied to the bed area. Changing the name of something doesn't change it's essence.

Cyber_Dav

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Siennas (2)
Country flag
That doesn't sound right to me. A truck is a truck because of it's capabilities, not because of the name applied to the bed area. Changing the name of something doesn't change it's essence.
You wouldn't make it very far in marketing. :LOL:

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You wouldn't make it very far in marketing. :LOL:
That's OK, I've never aspired to pimp products people don't need or want.

Elon is of the same mindset - he thinks marketing is what you need to do when you don't have superior products at a superior price. It's much better to just make what people need at a competitive price than it is to try to convince them to buy a worse product at a higher price. Because any money spent on advertising has to be paid by the consumer. That makes the product cost more.

ElectricSheep

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering
Country flag
I hear ya. The ID Buzz with it's big smiling face would sell in the millions! So why is it that VW, the massive carmaker that it is, doesn't bring it to market? The latest rumor is that they won't be available for sale in the U.S. until 2023. VW has been pumping the public with BUZZ about the ID Buzz since 2017.
I don't know if you've seen it but here's a great video hyping the Buzz from 2018. There sure has been a lot of HYPE from Legacy car makers about how they are going into EV's for a long time! Yet look what they've actually accomplished.
I hope it isn't held up due to the steering wheel retracting back into the dash. I actually like driving and could see the use of FSD a few times a year. I drive a 2019 Jeep Rubicon with a manual 6-speed and it is hands down the best, most fun vehicle I have ever owned. The top is either down (soft top) or off (hard top) and the doors are off as well. The fact that I can drive anywhere a normal vehicle can and then simply turn onto a "road" that would destroy most other vehicles and just go explore is such an awesome capability. The other thing I never realized was the community that Jeep has. You can break down two-hours out in nowhere and there are people will come to your assistance.

It will be interesting to see a CT in person and will help my final purchase decision. I have never owned a truck and the few times I needed one I just used a trailer for the day. It is an awesome vehicle and looks like nothing else, just like the Jeep, and the specs are great for the money. My oldest son thinks I should sell the Jeep and get the CT and my other kids hate the idea of not having the Jeep. The wife is on the Jeep's side too. Mostly because we are an outdoors family and the Jeep is the perfect vehicle for that.

ElectricSheep

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering
Country flag
That's OK, I've never aspired to pimp products people don't need or want.

Elon is of the same mindset - he thinks marketing is what you need to do when you don't have superior products at a superior price. It's much better to just make what people need at a competitive price than it is to try to convince them to buy a worse product at a higher price. Because any money spent on advertising has to be paid by the consumer. That makes the product cost more.
Reminds me of this Jeep commercial

Show what the product can actually do. Yes it is a commercial, but a damn good one. Still love the Bill Murray Groundhog Day commercial the best ... because it's Bill Murray.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Reminds me of this Jeep commercial

Show what the product can actually do. Yes it is a commercial, but a damn good one. Still love the Bill Murray Groundhog Day commercial the best ... because it's Bill Murray.
Did you see the disclaimer they flashed on the screen?
No fish were harmed in the making of that commercial and nobody's water source was polluted with oil. That's nice, they have a man-made lake and a man-made waterfall. I don't know anyone who has such facilities within a reasonable drive of where they live.

Jeep is basically saying, "You could do this if you had a spare $5 million to build an ORV park with waterfall on your back 20 acres.". Nice.

I'm confused. Are you saying Jeep isn't pimping something their buyers don't actually need or want?

Marketing is the fine art of getting people to buy something they don't really need or want until they are exposed to the marketing materials.:unsure:

Last edited:

ElectricSheep

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering
Country flag
Did you see the disclaimer they flashed on the screen?
No fish were harmed in the making of that commercial and nobody's water source was polluted with oil. That's nice, they have a man-made lake and a man-made waterfall. I don't know anyone who has such facilities within a reasonable drive of where they live.

Jeep is basically saying, "You could do this if you had a spare $5 million to build an ORV park with waterfall on your back 20 acres.". Nice.

I'm confused. Are you saying Jeep isn't pimping something their buyers actually need or want?

Marketing is the fine art of getting people to buy something they don't really need or want until you are exposed to the marketing materials.:unsure:
I was just saying that if you are going to create a commercial, be as on point as possible and don't BS the viewer. What I generally find funny is that the outdoor community (off-roaders, shooters, fishermen, hunters, etc.) actually try to keep the outdoors as clean as possible as there are people who are constantly striving to restrict access to the outdoors. I have a Jeep and I do take it off-road to places only a small percentage of people will ever experience. My kids love getting out of the urban areas and getting to see and explore places almost none of their friends will get to see. I pickup others trash when I find it so that I leave it better than I found it. I never wanted a Jeep and a commercial sure didn't sell me on getting one. Riding in one and going on into the wilderness did. I can't wait to sit in and hopefully get a ride in a CT to see what I really think and if I will see my tri-motor reservation to conclusion. I know it can't compare to a Jeep for off-roading, but I hope it is as fun to drive and has the same soul.

Elon is a great marketer and his advertisements (vehicle reveals are advertisements as are his tweets) have spurred a large number of people who never wanted a full-size pickup to want one. Look at the threads on this forum or on the Facebook CT forums talking about that exact fact. My wife is always amazed at how many pickup trucks are out on the road, whereas I am shocked at how many people drive white vehicles (my wife being one of them).

Will there be pollution from the mining of lithium and the other materials needed to build the CT? Yes there will be. Will there be leaks of fluids from Tesla vehicles and other EV's as they age? You bet there will be. Will the CT be overall better overall for the environment than a traditional FF full-size pickup? I am sure it will be. Will the majority of pickup trucks be able to be replaced with a CT, Rivian or E-150 (or whatever Ford will brand it) and the others racing to get in the market? Most definitely. Will it be able to replace all the full size and dually pickups that pull massive fifth wheels or horse trailers or other large loads? Time will tell, but I wouldn't bet on it with the first few iterations. The range loss will be seen as too great compared to having 60-gallons of fuel to travel to the next destination.

SoCalSteve

First Name
SoCalSteve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Exige, Mark VIII, Countryman, Rune, X (Ultra Red)
Occupation
Industrial & Systems Engineer
Country flag
Before the CT was announced I was planning on buying either a M3 or Model Y,,,,,, but then,,,, I saw the Cybertruck and learned about all its many unique, practical, and cutting edge features, and said : I’ve GOTA have one of those! Especially the top 500mi range version which I pre ordered.
I’ve never owned a truck or SUV in my entire life. Anyone else order one that doesn’t actually need a truck?
When my wife got pregnant with my daughter I started looking for a good vehicle to be an overprotective parent in. I don't need a truck. I have no need to tow anything, and I won't use my truck to help anyone move. I pre-ordered a tri-motor with FSD. I figure that replaces my Lincoln (comfort and air ride suspension), my Lotus (speed and handling in the mountains of Santa Cruz), and my Jurassic Park Jeep (off-roading adventures), as well as leaving me without any worries about safety for my family. So no need for a truck but all the reasons for a CyberTruck

SoCalSteve

First Name
SoCalSteve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Exige, Mark VIII, Countryman, Rune, X (Ultra Red)
Occupation
Industrial & Systems Engineer
Country flag
I wish my dad had a Lotus! He had a Karmann Ghia in seafoam.
I like the seafoam green and the white roof! Does that mean you also know how to drive a stick?
Sponsored