Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
Likewise, we have performance data on the Hummer which is extremely close to the Silverado.

The big wild-card on the Silverado is going to be range. I kind of doubt they will get that 400 mile range, the Hummer was supposed to have 350 miles and it dropped to 329 or something. I suspect the Silverado will similarly drop prior to launch.
yeah that claim seems like a big rotten tomato to me too
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I agree- I wish there was a standard format for the entire charge curve that has to be published. It is really sort of an "area under the curve" type of metric. This is also why a giant 500 mile range CT sounds so appealing. You can go from say 100 miles to 300 miles of range while staying in that high charge rate portion of the curve for hopping from supercharger to supercharger without having get into the slowest portions of the curve.
This is one of the big parts of why the 500 mile battery is super appealing to me.

I regularly go from Oregon to California and on the Model Y it’s 2-3 10-40 minute long stops with a bike on the back. With 500 miles range I can easily get it down to 2 5 - 10 minute stops or even 1 10-15 minute stop if I can stand 5+ hours with no food or bathroom stops.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
This is one of the big parts of why the 500 mile battery is super appealing to me.

I regularly go from Oregon to California and on the Model Y it’s 2-3 10-40 minute long stops with a bike on the back. With 500 miles range I can easily get it down to 2 5 - 10 minute stops or even 1 10-15 minute stop if I can stand 5+ hours with no food or bathroom stops.
...Which is pretty much my experience with my Mazda 3. My bikes are on the roof so my range hit is pretty hefty... and once you're having more wind blow you around, you want to take more breaks.

When I go up the Redwood Highway, my gas stops are in similar spots to the Superchargers. And I still take a couple additional pee breaks. Caffeine makes me gotta go.

-Crissa

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
This is a pretty nice although overly simplified comparison. They do sound pretty skeptical about the CT stats though. And the stats used are of course those of the CT3 because the CT4 stats are not yet released. If they are skeptical now, they might just have their minds blown with CT4 stats.

One thing about the comparison, I'd like to see the new CT specs up the max charging rate to match or beat the others. This is an EV-specific stat and if the Hummer and Silverado charge faster than CT, you can bet that there will be no end to their bragging about it. Plus, faster charging is always a good thing (unless it causes vehicle fires or battery degradation of course).

Another curious point is how CT is listed as having 0-69 at 2.9 seconds. But the Hummer is just under that at 3.0 seconds but has to do it using launch mode with a long warmup period. Silverado also comes with this time-consuming launch mode. Seems like such a gimmick if you need to sit there for a while and warm up the vehicle before you can launch. I don't know if CT will have this same wait period but I don't remember seeing any other Tesla's that need to sit and wait for a while before launching.
It's a very biased comparison. What's with the claim that EV pickups are already hitting dealership lots? Rivian doesn't have any dealerships and I hope they are not counting the one Hummer to be delivered for $2.5 million. Or am I out of the loop and I can just stop by my local truck dealership and pick up an EV pickup truck?

And while I think the Cybertruck very much fits the definition of a pickup truck, I'm having a difficult time calling the Hummer a pickup truck. I guess it could pickup something as long as it's small, like a single washer or dryer. But lets hope you don't need a new washer and dryer (at the same time). :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
FutureBoy

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
And while I think the Cybertruck very much fits the definition of a pickup truck, I'm having a difficult time calling the Hummer a pickup truck. I guess it could pickup something as long as it's small, like a single washer or dryer. But lets hope you don't need a new washer and dryer (at the same time). :ROFLMAO:
Or if you drive slow enough, washers and dryers often come stacked and can fit the footprint of a single device. Better have some great tie-down skills though. And DO NOT engage the Watts to Freedom option.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
Or if you drive slow enough, washers and dryers often come stacked and can fit the footprint of a single device. Better have some great tie-down skills though. And DO NOT engage the Watts to Freedom option.
Stacking washer and dryers instruct not to stack them until being placed into their final resting place. Because the lower unit is not designed for the stresses of bumps and jolts that occur during transport. I suppose if they were left crated they could probably be stacked. But that creates it's own problems with loading/unloading.

While they do make unitized washer dryer combo units, I would prefer to not chose one of those simply because I only had a Hummer 'pickup', LOL!

In my opinion, a 4 foot bed is too limiting to be called a "pickup". How about "cute ute", LOL!

OP
OP
FutureBoy

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Stacking washer and dryers instruct not to stack them until being placed into their final resting place. Because the lower unit is not designed for the stresses of bumps and jolts that occur during transport. I suppose if they were left crated they could probably be stacked. But that creates it's own problems with loading/unloading.

While they do make unitized washer dryer combo units, I would prefer to not chose one of those simply because I only had a Hummer 'pickup', LOL!
After buying the hummer, you may not have much choice of where to live because your bank account might just be underwater. Maybe the best answer is to just skip the washer dryer and utilize the local river and a clothesline.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Watching some of the videos from the Limiting Factor and it sounds like at some point… maybe not Gen 1 Cybertrucks, but eventually, the 4680 cells will be much faster at charging. How much faster?

It would support a Megawatt charger and charge from 0-50% in 5 minutes. With a 350 kW charger (what they believe the next gen Supercharger will have), it would be able to charge at the full 300 kW from 0-50% before starting to taper. So if the Cybertruck had a 125 kWh battery (in the ballpark of what the 300 mile range truck would have), it would go from 0-50% in 12 minutes. The 500 mile Cybertruck would be able to get up to 250 miles range in 17 minutes.

So those who have higher reservation numbers may well enjoy this sort of thing while early reservation holders suffer with earlier, less awesome trucks. So if your order is lower than 65,000 or so… probably cancel and wait for the more awesome truck.

Last edited:

DrShah

First Name
Samir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR
Occupation
Surgeon
Country flag
Wonder if they release a newer/faster Wall Connector for the Cybertruck since that battery pack is likely going to be massive.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Wonder if they release a newer/faster Wall Connector for the Cybertruck since that battery pack is likely going to be massive.
This is more about how efficient - miles to kilowatts - the truck is. At current charging rates, though, plugging it in overnight 10 hours will fill a 100kWh battery pack.

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Probably not. Right now it’s a 60a breaker, that’s a pretty big chunk of power.

It’s a **LOT** of juice though. If you think about it in terms of gasoline, it’s like having someone add 10-15 gallons of gas to your tank every night. Unless you drive more than ~240 miles daily, will probably only need a Supercharger when you travel.

For reference, we currently charge our Model Y on 110v which is roughly 1/8th that much juice and only need the Supercharger when traveling. The Cybertruck will not use 8 times as much juice as the Model Y.
Sponsored