Hunting in the Cybertruck

Cyber-Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Silverado
Country flag
I’d absolutely love a “Come find me” mode that works on forest roads.

One thing to keep in mind is much of the truck’s functionality relies on cellular connectivity. Don’t know where you hunt, but when I’m in the back country for riding cell signals are often rare. Even if the truck had Starlink for connectivity… it’s unlikely you will.
I hunt in Ohio, Virginia and West Virginia. It is true cell signal is like zero there…so it would be an issue….my Garmin uses GPS and GLONASS (Russian) satellites to navigate, which is standard for Garmin and works really well, but that would require more hardware so I get your point.
Sponsored

SgtSweatySac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Silverado, 2021 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Filthy Network Admin
Country flag
Let me tell about the time my dad almost put a bullet through my ass/brainpan....

Roughly 2003ish, I'm in my early 20's. Middle of nowhere West Virginia my uncle has a place that my great-grandfather built in about 1905. 2-story square cracker box home, has running water and electricity but nothing else. Closest neighbor is about a mile up the road. Pretty standard for that part of WV.

It's about 730ish, I'm upstairs taking a shower, we'd been inna woods from 530am to about 1pm, then came back to gut, skin, clean, and grind our kills in the afternoon. Stunk like hell, and I needed a scrub.

*BANG* Bullet comes ripping through the floor, makes a hole in the shower curtain, and then goes into the wall about a foot above my head. I of course let out a "WHAT THE FUCK", my brother and cousin come back in from smoking outside, and my dad and uncle are screaming at me, asking if I've been shot.

Turns out Dad and uncle were cleaning out guns in the dining room below and cattycorner to the bathroom, Dad had sworn he'd unloaded his gun, but the .308 ripping through the ceiling said otherwise.

This man had preached gun safety to me and my brother since we were all of 5 years old, and he lived by it, but that day something just got forgotten. He made me swear not to tell my mother about it, because she would of course have an aneurism. My brother spilled the beans a few years ago, but Dad has already passed on, so Mom can't murder him.

Anyways....

Yeah, I can't wait to take an electric truck in the woods!

Cybertruck Hawaii

Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The only hunting that is allowed in Hawaii is along the sunny Waikiki Beach for the young blonde chicks. I’m sure that the Cybertruck will be a chick magnet!

Friday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Personally, I think the cyberquad is more suited to hunting, bigfoot stalking, birdwatching and stargazing. Can go down narrower trails quietly. And under lower tree canopies.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
All this hunting talk, are you going to camo wrap your CT so it doesn't warn the wildlife of your presence with its bright shiny SS skin?

Cyber-Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Silverado
Country flag
All this hunting talk, are you going to camo wrap your CT so it doesn't warn the wildlife of your presence with its bright shiny SS skin?
I am not wrapping mine. A wrap would just scrape off while the SS is as rugged as you can get. Besides most camo colors are for the human eye. Whitetail deer vision is limited to short (blue) and middle (green) wavelength colors. So as long as it is not blue I am good with it.
As far as being shinny the SS is not polished but dull. With the angles of the cyber truck it slightly reflects the natural colors and patterns around it making it blend.
As many have stated only idiots hunt directly out of their truck any way (which is illegal). An average hunter uses a vehicle to get close then walk the rest of the way in. You just don’t want bright light or sounds coming from your vehicle in the darkness traveling in.

Dirt Worker

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair Corsa, Mini Cooper, T880 Kenworth, CT
Occupation
Excavation Company
Country flag
Where I live, both here in Oregon and previously in California, “hunting season” means hundreds of idiots driving around on the few forest roads closest to town looking out the window trying to find Bambi without getting their toes cold.

As I said… not meant to disparage you, just my local experience with hunters is not super impressive.

Seems to me there are Hunters who actually go out in the back of beyond and kill things. And “Hunters”—idiots who just want an excuse to drink beer and drive around in the woods shooting their guns randomly from the side of the road.
Hold on a a sec there, I'm not sure where you are trekking during hunting season but I have lived in the Columbia river valley all my life and people here take it very seriously. It is illegal to hunt or even discharge a round from a vehicle or at night. Most hunters know this. Or do you mean in the Portland area. I wouldn't consider that hunting. Even with collision avoidance, I wonder what happens when a nearly silent vehicle speeds down a dark country road. Very expensive venison.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Hold on a a sec there, I'm not sure where you are trekking during hunting season but I have lived in the Columbia river valley all my life and people here take it very seriously. It is illegal to hunt or even discharge a round from a vehicle or at night. Most hunters know this. Or do you mean in the Portland area. I wouldn't consider that hunting. Even with collision avoidance, I wonder what happens when a nearly silent vehicle speeds down a dark country road. Very expensive venison.
I’ve drug this thread too far off topic as it is. Definitely not suggesting it’s a universal thing.

Cyber-Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Silverado
Country flag
I’d absolutely love a “Come find me” mode that works on forest roads.

One thing to keep in mind is much of the truck’s functionality relies on cellular connectivity. Don’t know where you hunt, but when I’m in the back country for riding cell signals are often rare. Even if the truck had Starlink for connectivity… it’s unlikely you will.
Believe it or not I just killed a buck and I am typing this in the dark waiting for my friend to hike back and get the ATV. I could have used my Cybertruck with “come find me” mode right now.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Believe it or not I just killed a buck and I am typing this in the dark waiting for my friend to hike back and get the ATV. I could have used my Cybertruck with “come find me” mode right now.
Since you have cell signal, you’d be in the clear too!

For me it could be come find me or even being able to tap the map and say “Meet me over here”. We do lots of point to point mountain bike rides and moving trucks is often a PITA.

Maybe that could be the secret power of the Cyberwhistle. If you are out of cell range you could blow it and it would honk the horn, flash the lights, and approach you if possible.

Cyber-Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Silverado
Country flag
Since you have cell signal, you’d be in the clear too!

For me it could be come find me or even being able to tap the map and say “Meet me over here”. We do lots of point to point mountain bike rides and moving trucks is often a PITA.

Maybe that could be the secret power of the Cyberwhistle. If you are out of cell range you could blow it and it would honk the horn, flash the lights, and approach you if possible.
Finally made it back home.
Yes, I am sure there is a solution to summon the truck when no cell signal is available. We always communicate with walkie-talkies in the mountains which is good for up to 5 miles so maybe something based on that.
Point to point mountain biking sounds neat. That reminds me of river canoe float fishing for smallmouths. At the end of the float trip down river it would be great to send a “Meet me over here” command and have the truck pick you up with the canoe.
Today’s deer harvest was also expensive as my buddy turned too sharp getting back onto the paved road and swiped my Silverado with a telephone pole….I now have a nice dent and scratch marks down the truck…he actually told me “I think that will buff out” and I laughed at him.
Oh well…for a friend that hikes back to get me out of a long deer drag I can forgive a lot, but the SS would have come in handy tonight.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Finally made it back home.
Yes, I am sure there is a solution to summon the truck when no cell signal is available. We always communicate with walkie-talkies in the mountains which is good for up to 5 miles so maybe something based on that.
Point to point mountain biking sounds neat. That reminds me of river canoe float fishing for smallmouths. At the end of the float trip down river it would be great to send a “Meet me over here” command and have the truck pick you up with the canoe.
Today’s deer harvest was also expensive as my buddy turned too sharp getting back onto the paved road and swiped my Silverado with a telephone pole….I now have a nice dent and scratch marks down the truck…he actually told me “I think that will buff out” and I laughed at him.
Oh well…for a friend that hikes back to get me out of a long deer drag I can forgive a lot, but the SS would have come in handy tonight.
Kayaking is another place where I would appreciate “come and get me” or “Go here and wait for me” modes.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Oh, yeah, not having to drag an additional crew to move the cars and sit on shore and wait for you.

Not alot of waterways loop around ^-^

-Crissa
Sponsored