Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Story on Electrek with an interesting quote from Chris Jim Farley.

“Jim Farley” said:
“This is in addition to our battery sourcing in China and Europe. We are well on our way to achieve at least a 40% mix of BEVs by 2030, with strong margins and equal to our higher market share in the key high-profit, high-volume segments we compete. For example, the F-150 Lightning, if we had full production today to meet our current demand, we would rival the Model Y as the leading BEV nameplate in the U.S. market.”
Maybe? Seems like a lot of assumptions built into this statement.

https://electrek.co/2022/02/08/ford-ceo-rival-tesla-producing-enough-electric-vehicles/

What my biggest take-away is it is fantastic seeing legacy auto take this stuff seriously finally. Ford still strikes me as one of the legacy companies most likely to be around in 10 years.
Sponsored

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
Story on Electrek with an interesting quote from Chris Jim Farley.

Maybe? Seems like a lot of assumptions built into this statement.

https://electrek.co/2022/02/08/ford-ceo-rival-tesla-producing-enough-electric-vehicles/

What my biggest take-away is it is fantastic seeing legacy auto take this stuff seriously finally. Ford still strikes me as one of the legacy companies most likely to be around in 10 years.
They have to talk up their EV plans or Ford stock would get hammered.

Of course, it's going to get hammered anyway once investors figure out Ford has more EV hot air than they have the ability to execute in high volumes. It will just take longer.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Fun fact, Jim Farley is Chris Farley's cousin.
I can’t help but hear “Chris Farley” when I see the name Jim Farley. I just assumed coincidence, but you are correct.

I don’t post it as an insult but because I found some of CF sketches awesome.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
They have to talk up their EV plans or Ford stock would get hammered.

Of course, it's going to get hammered anyway once investors figure out Ford has more EV hot air than they have the ability to execute in high volumes. It will just take longer.
I think Farley was dealt a crap hand and he’s playing as best he can. He’s a salesman and right now he is selling “Ford”, not trucks, the brand and the stock.

Maybe Ford will be capable of producing 600k EVs next year. Will they be able to source the 55 GWH of batteries they need to produce them? (Assumes about 20% of the vehicles are trucks with more trucks, that number goes up fast)

How hard is it to source 55 GW of batteries? We know Tesla is bringing 110 GWh+ online next year in Texas and Fremont. Plus sourcing a bunch for the Model 3 SR from BYD and CATL.

Anyhow. I don’t love Ford’s chances here. But they seem to have their stuff together more than GM anyhow.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Sort of ignored here is “Where would the F-150 be if Tesla was able to source enough materials to produce the Cybertruck?”

Assumption is people will prefer the F-150, but I still think Tesla is going to crush them on price and features.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The other bit which I continue to find fascinating is the assumption that they will be able to sell millions of ICE vehicles in 2030. Farley is predicting 40% of their sales will be electric by then. Is there really still going to be demand for that many ICE vehicles by then?
Sponsored