If you want an BEV truck quickly, Rivian is the way to go.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
I just read that Rivian is assembling 2 R1T‘s per day for a total of 56 R1T trucks so far. They are all going to Rivian employees.
Sponsored

ProfessorRon

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck, Kia Forte, 2000 Dodge Dakota 4x4
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If you are still "Thinking" about getting a Cybertruck, it's likely you won't be able to get one for another 4+ years. You can buy the Rivian now and enjoy it for 4 years, then sell it and buy the Cybertruck. Best of both worlds. Assuming you have the cash to drop $85k on a Rivian, take a bath on selling it used, then drop another $70k on a Cybertruck.

Retirement is over-rated.
But I hear they are taking about 75 hours to build 1 Rivian. I tried to verify that but can’t find any info quantity per day. But even at 1 per day and 30,000 preorders, it will be decade before you get one.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
But I hear they are taking about 75 hours to build 1 Rivian. I tried to verify that but can’t find any info quantity per day. But even at 1 per day and 30,000 preorders, it will be deca before you get one.
Yep. I just mentioned a couple posts up how the top post has aged pretty poorly.

Seems entirely possible Tesla will produce more trucks in 2022 than Rivian. It’ll be a sort of tortoise and hare race with the outcome determined purely based on how quickly Tesla manages to get production online. If Tesla pulls a rabbit out of a hat and manages to start production in September 2022, they might just beat both Rivian and Ford.

I can make a few more rabbit references if you’d like, I’m hare every night ’til Tuesday.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
It’s all about exposing a business to financial risk. Large companies focus on this constantly.

I think it’s a smart business move by Rivian leadership to help minimize risk by slowly ramping up production and having all of the initial trucks go to employees, early investors, etc. Selling the first production run to the public with a serious defect would be devastating to Rivian.

madquadbiker

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Navara NP300, Honda e, Honda TRX700XX
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I hope Sandy gets it, at least then the rest of us get the chance to explore it while he pulls it apart.
Which do you think will take longer? Rivian building out 1 R1T or Sandy tearing apart 1 R1T?

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
It’s all about exposing a business to financial risk. Large companies focus on this constantly.

I think it’s a smart business move by Rivian leadership to help minimize risk by slowly ramping up production and having all of the initial trucks go to employees, early investors, etc. Selling the first production run to the public with a serious defect would be devastating to Rivian.
This is essentially beta production. They aren’t manufacturing, they are developing the manufacturing process. Tesla calls it building the machine that builds the machines.

At this scale, it’s not manufacturing, they are building prototypes. These are the million dollar trucks Musk talked about not wanting to produce.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Which do you think will take longer? Rivian building out 1 R1T or Sandy tearing apart 1 R1T?
Which do you think Sandy will get first, the Rivian or the Cybertruck?

How early did he order the Rivian?

electricAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck dual-motor
Country flag
Selling the first production run to the public with a serious defect would be devastating to Rivian.
This is what would worry me about buying a Rivian now, and planning to sell it later. Look at what happened to the Chevy Bolt....they've lost all value due a major defect.

This is Rivian's first ever production vehicle and there are probably going to be issues. The truck looks amazing, but the price is steep and I just don't think they are going to age well. Partly due to the hub motors, and partly due to Rivian's lack of infrastructure/experience. They plan to build 3500 charging stations in the next few years...but if they get caught up in production hell that network may be delayed. Lots of unknowns with this company. They still have a steep road ahead and they will be competing with Tesla.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
…but if they get caught up in production hell that network may be delayed. Lots of unknowns with this company. They still have a steep road ahead and they will be competing with Tesla.
At 1 truck/ day, they are already in production gosh-darn-it. Another couple weeks and they will be knee deep in production heck. If they can’t get a couple hundred/ week out by end of the year they will be well and truly in production hell.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
This is what would worry me about buying a Rivian now, and planning to sell it later. Look at what happened to the Chevy Bolt....they've lost all value due a major defect.

This is Rivian's first ever production vehicle and there are probably going to be issues. The truck looks amazing, but the price is steep and I just don't think they are going to age well. Partly due to the hub motors, and partly due to Rivian's lack of infrastructure/experience. They plan to build 3500 charging stations in the next few years...but if they get caught up in production hell that network may be delayed. Lots of unknowns with this company. They still have a steep road ahead and they will be competing with Tesla.
Rivian R1T’s have already traversed road you’ll never - from Ushuaia AR tip of Tierra del Fuego to AK via Pan Americana Carreta. R1T shakedown cruise should be well and truly over for the Gremlins and bugs.
First editions typically have attention to detail and extras later omitted as production expertise streamlines assembly. I’ve enjoyed more than one first edition whose goodies were gone the next model year.
Would I jump on a first edition? You bet’cha!
Will R1T age well? Absolutely! $7/gal. gasoline is already being pumped in California desert, $5/gal. gas for cityslickers. Rats jumping ship won’t hold a candle to the mass exodus out of big SUV’s. You hate your EV? A wannabe EV owner is chomping at the bit for yours used AND he’ll pay more than you bought new!
I’m Tesla buyer. Tesla is unmatched in reputation, quality, efficiency and resale. Cybertruck is the closest match to longterm requirements.