John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
ICE companies converting to EV will still be producing ICE for other country markets and lower wealth companies take a hit on pollution control.

TomGriff

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
15 MS 70D, 17 Bolt Premier, CT Reserved, Yamaha T7
Country flag
While it is easy to throw stones, what two automakers no longer qualify for US federal EV tax credits because they've more than 200K qualifying EVs? Hint, one of them is GM. As an owner of both a Model S and Chevy Bolt, they are great cars for different reasons. My trust of GM has nothing to do with their introduction of a new engine and everything to do with fixing my car so that I charge it without concern over fires...

OP
OP

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
GM release world's BIGGEST engine - then claim ALL IN on EV?!
Nov 3, 2021
The Electric Viking

-------

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
Crate motors will be made for decades more. They're special purpose, basically hand-made, boutique things.

-Crissa
Exactly.. the motor itself cost almost as much as the RWD CT.... not gonna be sold in any significant volumes.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
While it is easy to throw stones, what two automakers no longer qualify for US federal EV tax credits because they've more than 200K qualifying EVs? Hint, one of them is GM. As an owner of both a Model S and Chevy Bolt, they are great cars for different reasons. My trust of GM has nothing to do with their introduction of a new engine and everything to do with fixing my car so that I charge it without concern over fires...
GM sort of flirts with EVs. They did the Bolt and it was pretty good at the time, but they sort of let it languish. Now, 5+ years later they still have just the Bolt, one Bolt variant, and the Hummer (I think??). When they did an EV truck they picked the super-niche Hummer, not something that will remotely compete with a mainstream truck. The SilvErado is coming ?? Soon?

I think my big problem is the Hummer. It has always been completely pointless and a deep niche the EV variant is no different. Yet that’s what they chose to push their new platform out on?

Seems pretty clear they are still mostly and ICE company and consider EVs a niche offering.

OP
OP

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
GM sort of flirts with EVs. They did the Bolt and it was pretty good at the time, but they sort of let it languish. Now, 5+ years later they still have just the Bolt, one Bolt variant, and the Hummer (I think??). When they did an EV truck they picked the super-niche Hummer, not something that will remotely compete with a mainstream truck. The SilvErado is coming ?? Soon?

I think my big problem is the Hummer. It has always been completely pointless and a deep niche the EV variant is no different. Yet that’s what they chose to push their new platform out on?

Seems pretty clear they are still mostly and ICE company and consider EVs a niche offering.
GM might have had a good excuse if invested money for improved efficiency and lower pollution for hybrid.
But a 1,000 hp racing engine !!!!!
OEMs investment in racing does not directly make money (it loses money). The racing inspires the public to buy regular production cars. We do not need any more incentives to buy ICE.

In 2018-2021, while GM was investing in development gas guzzling 1,000 ICE engines the world did not need, VW was investing in conversion of actual ICE factories into EV components & EV factories.

Some of VW understands the life of their company depends on EVs.
GM is just playing around.

-----------

November 14, 2018
VW to convert three German plants to build electric cars
By Reuters Staff
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-volkswagen-electric-idUSKCN1NJ1ZT

Volkswagen to make Zwickau vehicle plant Europe’s top-performing electric car factory
First complete transformation of a major car factory from internal combustion engines to e-mobility in the world
Production capacity: 330,000 electric cars per year
Zwickau to be the nucleus for the roll-out of the global electric production network
Climate protection: Volkswagen to start carbon-neutral production of the ID.* in Zwickau at the end of 2019
Thomas Ulbrich, Board Member for E-Mobility: “With our electric cars we want to make a substantial contribution to climate protection. The ID.* will be a model for sustainable mobility.”
Wolfsburg/Zwickau , 2018-11-15
https://www.volkswagenag.com/en/news/2018/11/volkswagen_zwickau_vehicle_plant.html

Countdown to production start:
Conversion of Zwickau plant to electric car factory began in 2018
10/28/2019
Wolfsburg/Zwickau
Company
Press Release
https://www.volkswagen-newsroom.com...nt-to-electric-car-factory-began-in-2018-5504

VW starts converting another factory for electric car production
Fred Lambert
Jul. 6th 2020
https://electrek.co/2020/07/06/vw-converting-emden-factory-electric-car-production/

VW Changes Engine Factories into Battery Plants
July 8, 2021
https://www.greencars.com/post/vw-changes-engine-factories-into-battery-plants

Volkswagen’s Emden factory on time for BEV production
VW has provided an update on the conversion of the Emden plant for the production of MEB electric cars, which started in July 2020. Completion is scheduled for the first half of 2022, with EV volume production to begin with the ID.4. VW has also confirmed other models, including an electric estate.

May 5, 2021
https://www.electrive.com/2021/05/05/vw-says-emden-factorys-meb-update-on-schedule/
Sponsored