Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Crate motors are very low volume and often very low mileage cars. I think the bigger issues are what the product lines look like.

VW isn’t exactly flowers and roses either. Their CEO is under attack from within for his progressive stance on EVs.
Sponsored

A.W.Jelfs

First Name
Asa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
HQ gts 350 monaro Ht gts 307 monaro
Occupation
retired investor
Country flag
Why would you want such a big crate motor? I would rather go small block with twin turbos, that is bad ICE engineering.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
Why would you want such a big crate motor? I would rather go small block with twin turbos, that is bad ICE engineering.
I'd buy it haha.. 1000hp on pump gas with no power adders.

Fact of the matter is though.. I bet for the same amount of money I could swap in a really hot BEV setup. I'm planning on something similar in a Fury down the road.

Qball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Sure but by becoming EV engineers.
First it was a joke.

jokes aside in real life it’s a social issue. Who is going to train all the Jeff’s lube guys to be EV oil changer? Oh wait…….

BEV is so easy veryone is doing it. I mean just look at all the BEVs GM, Toyota and VW that are pumping out by the millions. In fact I took some online courses and became a BEV engineer overnight but I did stay at a Holiday inn express last night.

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
If you can do lube, you can do brakes. And if you can do brakes, you can do filter changes and coolant. And if you can do that, you can replace cameras and check wiring harnesses.

The lube place might vanish - but not for awhile, there's still ICE on the road - but there's still work to be done.

I pay the detail guys more than the lune ones anyhow.

-Crissa

BahamaTodd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC Canyon
Country flag
GM might have had a good excuse if invested money for improved efficiency and lower pollution for hybrid.
But a 1,000 hp racing engine !!!!!
OEMs investment in racing does not directly make money (it loses money). The racing inspires the public to buy regular production cars. We do not need any more incentives to buy ICE.

In 2018-2021, while GM was investing in development gas guzzling 1,000 ICE engines the world did not need, VW was investing in conversion of actual ICE factories into EV components & EV factories.

Some of VW understands the life of their company depends on EVs.
GM is just playing around.

-----------
GM has been pretty busy working on their next generation EVs for about 4-5 years now. So far this is what they have announced they'll have by 2025 globally:

30 EVs by 2023 (20 in the US)

6 EV factories:
Michigan: Production begins this month
China: Production begins Q1 2022
Tennessee: Production begins Q2 2022
Canada: Production begins Q4 2022
Mexico: Production begins 2023
#6 location in the US not yet announced

5 Battery Factories (Each the size of Giga Nevada):
China: Production began last month
Ohio: Production begins Q2 2022
Tennessee: Production begins 2023
#4 and #5 locations in the US not yet announced

ÆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
GM has been pretty busy working on their next generation EVs for about 4-5 years now. So far this is what they have announced they'll have by 2025 globally:

30 EVs by 2023 (20 in the US)

6 EV factories:
Michigan: Production begins this month
China: Production begins Q1 2022
Tennessee: Production begins Q2 2022
Canada: Production begins Q4 2022
Mexico: Production begins 2023
#6 location in the US not yet announced

5 Battery Factories (Each the size of Giga Nevada):
China: Production began last month
Ohio: Production begins Q2 2022
Tennessee: Production begins 2023
#4 and #5 locations in the US not yet announced
Sure GM has been (yawn) 'busy'... GM's definition of an EV factory for announcement purposes - is to probably have one or two production lines or a fraction of the ICE factory sort of 'reconfigured' for an EV model - a big difference between a GM 'EV factory' versus a Tesla state of the art and efficient 100% EV production center. GM's battery factories are still On Paper except for the one in China.

Just remember announced hype is one thing, but it would take the (Not Agile) GM longer, and requiring much more money for them to do this because remember - they are still entangled to pay Billions in Advertising and also the UAW is now more of a stain instead of any help.

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/gm-spends-an-embarrassing-amount-of-money-on-advertising/
https://www.statista.com/statistics/261531/general-motors-advertising-spending-in-the-us/

Bloated Budgeting for advertising and entanglement expenses - means Lower Margins or Less Car Substance (or both). Take your pick if that's something you would enjoy paying for ...

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
So I’m on a business trip at the moment. Tonight in the hotel bar I met a guy who says his brother works for GM. Apparently for a number of years the brother was working on their EV technology. But more recently the brother was moved over to work on a hydrogen drive train. The guy I was talking to is convinced that hydrogen is going to supersed EVs. I got the impression that his brother is the one that convinced him of such.

If what I heard is true, GM is apparently betting on all tech fronts. ICE, EV, Hydrogen, who knows what else. Seems like all this is just going to make them lose focus.

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
So I’m on a business trip at the moment. Tonight in the hotel bar I met a guy who says his brother works for GM. Apparently for a number of years the brother was working on their EV technology. But more recently the brother was moved over to work on a hydrogen drive train. The guy I was talking to is convinced that hydrogen is going to supersed EVs. I got the impression that his brother is the one that convinced him of such.

If what I heard is true, GM is apparently betting on all tech fronts. ICE, EV, Hydrogen, who knows what else. Seems like all this is just going to make them lose focus.
40 years ago, I saw a show on TV called "Fire in The Water", all about getting hydrogen from water (electrolysis) and I thought it was amazing. At the time, gas was about a buck a gallon, and hydrogen cost about eight bucks a gallon. Fuel from water, and the only thing that comes out of the tailpipe was water vapor. Water, pure enough to drink. No emissions! So I thought, this is the future. Forty years later, I hear Elon give his opinion of fuel cells, and there's so much efficiency that goes out the window, it's absurd. The math doesn't lie, BEV's are currently (by far) the most efficient. GM, wake uuup.

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Alot of energy goes into making batteries. That's alot of waste that hydrogen storage can skip. And in the energy to mass hydrogen storage also has batteries beat.

There's a place for it, just not in cars.

-Crissa

Qball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Breaking news: GM broke record on number of BEV delivered last quarter!!!