Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
PY holding me over till TRI CT
Occupation
FlagstaffRentalCabin.com & TeslaRenter.com
Country flag
Come for the Range. Stay for the Speed.

There's just too many benefits to the Tri-Motor if you can at all afford it.

With a bigger battery, it gives you so many more options. Want to skip that SC because there's no good food? No Problem. Want to sit and eat a full meal for an hour? No problem, let's let it charge all the way up. Want to just stop for 20 minutes and see it get 1000MPH of added range the whole time because the sweet spot is so much bigger? No problem. Now, you are dictating what you want to do with your time, not the car dictating what it HAS to do.
Sponsored

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Come for the Range. Stay for the Speed.

There's just too many benefits to the Tri-Motor if you can at all afford it.

With a bigger battery, it gives you so many more options. Want to skip that SC because there's no good food? No Problem. Want to sit and eat a full meal for an hour? No problem, let's let it charge all the way up. Want to just stop for 20 minutes and see it get 1000MPH of added range the whole time because the sweet spot is so much bigger? No problem. Now, you are dictating what you want to do with your time, not the car dictating what it HAS to do.
I must admit that though the acceleration isn’t why I am into Teslas, every single time I hit the accelerator on my wife’s Model 3 it makes me smile. I test drove a Model Y yesterday and the same. I expect the CT to make me have a permanently etched grin on my face.

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I think charging infrastructure is king. Speed and ease of access is more important to me.

Both are important.

To get the non-enthusiast to buy an EV, range anxiety is a big deal and so is charging time.

It will take years to get charging stations as ubiquitous as gas/diesel stations and no one wants to wait in line for very long to get a charge - It may be ok once in awhile but would get old quick.

The longer the range, at least for the near future, will be a key selling point for the average customer.

OP
OP
MUSK007

MUSK007

Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model S - P100D
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Ahh. Yea I agree. I had range anxiety at first, but I don’t travel that much and I get free supercharging, but I only use it once in a while. What I want is to be able to make a 150 mile trip and come back without stoping. That’s why range Is king.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Both are important.

To get the non-enthusiast to buy an EV, range anxiety is a big deal and so is charging time.

It will take years to get charging stations as ubiquitous as gas/diesel stations and no one wants to wait in line for very long to get a charge - It may be ok once in awhile but would get old quick.

The longer the range, at least for the near future, will be a key selling point for the average customer.
I actually agree with @MUSK007 on this one, and why do you not include getting a home charger in your evaluation? We ‘only’ use super chargers on road trips. The rest of the time we charge at home.

4Axlift

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150, Tundra, Highlander, DR650
Occupation
Pipeline construction, Welding and Coating Inspector
Country flag
I would fall into the camp of wanting more battery/range. Why do I buy the largest fuel tank posible in a ICE vehicle? I only need extry capacity 20% of the time. To keep myself on the job and job running, convence! , the customer is always right!! why do I carry a 95gal fuel tank? To supply other vehicles and equipment in the field and myself. Many days we are in the field 16 to 20 hours or more. In winter ICE engines run all day for heat in vehicle as a place to warm up, I and others are in and out of our vehicles 15 to 30 minutes at a time. The sites are remote, need the ability to refuel/recharge on job. Pickup manufacturs are already installing inverters to run small electric hand tools. I envision more and more small construction farm equipment being converted to EV, Bobcat skidsteers, small trenchers, etc. How much modification to a Tesla wall charger would there need to be carried in back of a pickup to recharge other vehicles? A self contained unit with its own cooling system mounted on a portable pallet. Maybe I should patten this concept if it hasn't . Costs are coming down per kw storage, this should not be to far from becoming fesable. Thes are the things needing to be addressed by tesla to win the construction and farming community. To us, the pickup is tool, not a toy.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
How much modification to a Tesla wall charger would there need to be carried in back of a pickup to recharge other vehicles?
None. Tesla HPWC is already capable of charging any J1772 compliant vehicle (as long as its owner has the adapter). Now keep in mind that the outlets in the CT are probably going to be limited to 30 A so that means 24 max from the HPWC for charging a little shy of 6 kW.

A self contained unit with its own cooling system mounted on a portable pallet.
The HPWC (or other J1772 charger) can be plugged into an ICE generator or Yeti battery pack. The limitations are with the charging rates.

There are battery operated Level 3 chargers available but none that I am aware of that could be tossed in the back of a pickup. These will probably come one day,

In any case if one is using the CT as a moveable source of 240 for charging other tools, running saws or pumps or providing heat and light at remote locations it is clear that he wants the largest battery pack that Tesla will put on the truck. That a big battery automatically comes with long cruising range is icing on the cake. Many of us that don't plan on using power tools with the CT want that icing (no pun hidden here) for its own sake. Extra runway is not needed most of the time but when it is needed it is really needed.

4Axlift

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150, Tundra, Highlander, DR650
Occupation
Pipeline construction, Welding and Coating Inspector
Country flag
None. Tesla HPWC is already capable of charging any J1772 compliant vehicle (as long as its owner has the adapter). Now keep in mind that the outlets in the CT are probably going to be limited to 30 A so that means 24 max from the HPWC for charging a little shy of 6 kW.

The HPWC (or other J1772 charger) can be plugged into an ICE generator or Yeti battery pack. The limitations are with the charging rates.

There are battery operated Level 3 chargers available but none that I am aware of that could be tossed in the back of a pickup. These will probably come one day,

In any case if one is using the CT as a moveable source of 240 for charging other tools, running saws or pumps or providing heat and light at remote locations it is clear that he wants the largest battery pack that Tesla will put on the truck. That a big battery automatically comes with long cruising range is icing on the cake. Many of us that don't plan on using power tools with the CT want that icing (no pun hidden here) for its own sake. Extra runway is not needed most of the time but when it is needed it is really needed.
Thank you, I'm far from being as knowledgeable as I would like to be in this field. This carries over into the thread of the worst-case scenario. (not needed most of the time but when it is needed it is really needed.) But to give tesla credit engineers are looking at a bell curve for production, I would be a small percentage of customers with extreme needs daily with poor/cold charging condition. It would be great to carrier around a heated garage to charge in. the Cold, carrying around 1000 to 2000 lbs to tools, running heating system all take away from the range.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I added a low-voltage cut-off to my Mazda so that it can't kill itself if sitting still x-x

It'll be nice to have a battery big enough not to worry.

-Crissa
Sponsored